ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Best WiFi settings (iPad/Ubiquiti)  (Read 9394 times)

Cailen Waddell

Re: Best WiFi settings (iPad/Ubiquiti)
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 10:03:36 PM »

Now this is intriguing.  A quick bit of Googling shows an Apple Camera Connection kit with the older 30 pin connector and Apple USB 2 to Ethernet dongle.  Have you had occasion to hardwire an older iPad 2 with that combo of hardware successfully?

Have not done an iPad 2.  Have done it with newer iPads with lightning connectors.  A powered usb hub is also required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 10:19:12 PM »

Have not done an iPad 2.  Have done it with newer iPads with lightning connectors.  A powered usb hub is also required.

I'm pretty sure that's how they network all the iPads that the Roots use to mix their won monitors on the Tonight Show. I know they are wired, not wireless.

Mac

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 11:46:52 PM »

While I'm far from an expert on the Nanostation, do you do a basic wifi scan to see what channels are operating in the location and if needed change your operating channel.
Or maybe the Nanostation does that automatically.

Andrew Hollis

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 02:22:50 PM »

There are a LOT of settings on the Ubiquiti, many of which will cause the connection to fail completely. Others have several values that work.

Post a link to a doc noting what settings are available, and/or a screenshot of what you can manipulate.

Quote from: Andrew Broughton
The iPad is only 10-30 feet away from the Ubiquiti.

Your devices are within regular off-the-shelf WAP distance. What about your application requires airMAX?

In general, these are the basic wifi settings to address:
  • WPA2 AES encrypt only (no TKIP).
  • Enable WMM.
  • Make sure you have line-of-sight.
  • Force to N or AC only (do not allow b/g).
  • Turn up transmission power.
  • Increase Beacon to 500 or more.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:37:17 PM by Andrew Hollis »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 04:46:50 PM »

Post a link to a doc noting what settings are available, and/or a screenshot of what you can manipulate.

Your devices are within regular off-the-shelf WAP distance. What about your application requires airMAX?

In general, these are the basic wifi settings to address:
  • WPA2 AES encrypt only (no TKIP).
  • Enable WMM.
  • Make sure you have line-of-sight.
  • Force to N or AC only (do not allow b/g).
  • Turn up transmission power.
  • Increase Beacon to 500 or more.
Thank you for that advice.

I'm not using AirMax. I don't think iOS is compatible with it when that's turned on. I use the AP for many things, including long distances and it works really well for that as I think it's higher power/sensitivity than off-the-shelf devices. (At least I hope so!) For this current application, though, I am quite close to the AP.

-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 04:56:54 PM »

I don't see a Beacon setting.
Any suggestions regarding Channel Width or Frequencies?
-Andy

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 05:32:34 PM »

Thank you for that advice.

I'm not using AirMax. I don't think iOS is compatible with it when that's turned on. I use the AP for many things, including long distances and it works really well for that as I think it's higher power/sensitivity than off-the-shelf devices. (At least I hope so!) For this current application, though, I am quite close to the AP.

Do you really have a 16dBi antenna on it? That would have a fairly narrow vertical coverage pattern. If you're still in the pattern maybe you're overloading the input of both devices with a 16dBi antenna up close.

If you do not have a 16dBi antenna, perhaps with it set for 16dBi and maximum power, it is reducing the output to keep a legal ERP. I don't know how smart that device is to do that sort of thing. Try setting the antenna gain for what your antenna is.

Mac

Chris Trupe

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 06:27:57 PM »

I used these settings on my bullet M5.

I did not use SOHO Router though, I used bridge/access point.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204949644-airMAX-Configure-a-Wi-Fi-access-point-hotspot-

I have a Nanostation M5, and after configuring the Wireless to a frequency that works in NA, it connects and works well with my iPad Air 2.
I have an older iPad 2 which also connects to the Ubiquiti, but disconnects/reconnects at random times, which plays havoc with the MIDI over LAN communication. No such problems on my Air 2.

There are a LOT of settings on the Ubiquiti, many of which will cause the connection to fail completely. Others have several values that work.

Any suggestions on more robust settings that will work better with an older iPad? Frequencies? Bandwidth? Other settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 06:54:17 PM »

Do you really have a 16dBi antenna on it? That would have a fairly narrow vertical coverage pattern. If you're still in the pattern maybe you're overloading the input of both devices with a 16dBi antenna up close.

If you do not have a 16dBi antenna, perhaps with it set for 16dBi and maximum power, it is reducing the output to keep a legal ERP. I don't know how smart that device is to do that sort of thing. Try setting the antenna gain for what your antenna is.

Mac
I'm afraid I know nothing of such things... It's as it came from the factory. It's antenna is internal and I don't think you can add an external... I'm not sure what the proper setting would be for this device.
-Andy

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 07:30:12 PM »

I'm afraid I know nothing of such things... It's as it came from the factory. It's antenna is internal and I don't think you can add an external... I'm not sure what the proper setting would be for this device.

According to the specs, the NSM5 does in fact have 16dB of gain. Since it is already putting out 27dBm I think that makes its ERP around 20watts. If this is true, I expect you're overdriving the input on the iPad. It is certainly worth a try to turn down the power in that app and see what happens. It is also worth a try, when you are having issues at short range, to try moving far away and see if it improves. Ubiquiti describes the range of the NSM5 as 15+ km. Also on the spec sheet is the coverage pattern which is about 40ºx40º, which I assume is straight out from the front panel.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 07:30:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.