ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Best WiFi settings (iPad/Ubiquiti)  (Read 9321 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Best WiFi settings (iPad/Ubiquiti)
« on: February 24, 2018, 03:33:59 PM »

I have a Nanostation M5, and after configuring the Wireless to a frequency that works in NA, it connects and works well with my iPad Air 2.
I have an older iPad 2 which also connects to the Ubiquiti, but disconnects/reconnects at random times, which plays havoc with the MIDI over LAN communication. No such problems on my Air 2.

There are a LOT of settings on the Ubiquiti, many of which will cause the connection to fail completely. Others have several values that work.

Any suggestions on more robust settings that will work better with an older iPad? Frequencies? Bandwidth? Other settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
Re: Best WiFi settings (iPad/Ubiquiti)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 04:50:32 PM »

Height and line of sight are good starting points for better wifi.
Distance and interference are enemies.

I would start with your physical environment before digging into the settings of your ap.

Do you have any more details on your set up?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 07:38:36 PM »

I have a Nanostation M5, and after configuring the Wireless to a frequency that works in NA, it connects and works well with my iPad Air 2.
I have an older iPad 2 which also connects to the Ubiquiti, but disconnects/reconnects at random times, which plays havoc with the MIDI over LAN communication. No such problems on my Air 2.

There are a LOT of settings on the Ubiquiti, many of which will cause the connection to fail completely. Others have several values that work.

Any suggestions on more robust settings that will work better with an older iPad? Frequencies? Bandwidth? Other settings?

So a couple things.  Some of the roaming and handoff features ubiquiti uses don’t play well with older iOS devices.  Additionally your older iPad may not be compatible with all the broadcast rates your AP supports.  Also - it’s possible - as other have noted - that your older iPad can’t broadcast at a high enough power.   Just because it is receiving a good signal doesn’t mean it’s signal can get back to the AP. 

If your AP can do 2.4 and 5.  And your older iPad only does 2.4, the inherent interference in 2.4 maybe the cause of those disconnects. 

And lastly - while many people here do things over Wi-Fi, I’m a pretty big proponent of wiring things that are essential.  iPads can be hard wired.  I’ve done it. 

Anyway, my $.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 07:50:00 PM »

Height and line of sight are good starting points for better wifi.
Distance and interference are enemies.

I would start with your physical environment before digging into the settings of your ap.

Do you have any more details on your set up?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Different venues every day. Consistent problem for years. Nothing to do with distance or interference. When I bought my iPad Air 2 all problems went away, but I would like to see if there's ways to tweak the settings on the Ubiquiti to work better with older devices. It's a unique problem because I have hardware that can't tolerate disruptions very well, and the iPads need to be wireless. If it were this way on all devices, I would just say that's the way it is, but there are a vast amount of settings on the Ubiquiti and I'm sure some will affect the quality of connection to older devices.
-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 07:52:25 PM »

So a couple things.  Some of the roaming and handoff features ubiquiti uses don’t play well with older iOS devices.  Additionally your older iPad may not be compatible with all the broadcast rates your AP supports.  Also - it’s possible - as other have noted - that your older iPad can’t broadcast at a high enough power.   Just because it is receiving a good signal doesn’t mean it’s signal can get back to the AP. 

If your AP can do 2.4 and 5.  And your older iPad only does 2.4, the inherent interference in 2.4 maybe the cause of those disconnects. 

And lastly - while many people here do things over Wi-Fi, I’m a pretty big proponent of wiring things that are essential.  iPads can be hard wired.  I’ve done it. 

Anyway, my $.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your reply.
Which roaming/handoff settings specifically? How do I find what rates are compatible? The iPad is only 10-30 feet away from the Ubiquiti. The M5 is 5gig only.
-Andy

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 09:08:18 PM »

The Nanobeam M5 is a wireless bridge, not a general purpose WAP.  You have the wrong tool for the job.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 09:12:36 PM »

The Nanobeam M5 is a wireless bridge, not a general purpose WAP.  You have the wrong tool for the job.

Andrew said Nanostation, not Nanobeam.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 09:12:53 PM »

Now this is intriguing.  A quick bit of Googling shows an Apple Camera Connection kit with the older 30 pin connector and Apple USB 2 to Ethernet dongle.  Have you had occasion to hardwire an older iPad 2 with that combo of hardware successfully?

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 09:14:09 PM »

Wired is not an option in this scenario.

-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 09:17:03 PM »

I guess I’m looking for an Ubiquiti expert or at least an advanced WiFi settings expert... or maybe someone who knows what is different in the WiFi in the iPad 2 vs iPad Air 2...
There is often some pretty amazing IT knowledge here.

-Andy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 09:17:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.