ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M32 vs M32R function and ergonomics - soliciting opinions  (Read 15175 times)

Tommy Shannon

• Marketplace
Midas M32 vs M32R function and ergonomics - soliciting opinions
« on: February 23, 2018, 01:01:42 PM »

Hello All,

I have pretty much narrowed down my next mixer purchase to either the M32 or M32R. I would be interested in observations from anyone who has used either/both regarding functional and ergonomics differences between them. I prefer the footprint of the M32R, but I also like having more faders. FWIW - I currently use an LS9-16, so I am accustomed to a small board where I frequently swap layers. My biggest concern at this time is the difference in screen size, 5" vs 7" - I'm wondering how impactful that is when using the board.

Thoughts?

Regards
Tom

Daniel Nickleski

Re: Midas M32 vs M32R function and ergonomics - soliciting opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 02:19:06 PM »

We stock both and the only difference, as you noted, is 8 less faders and the smaller screen as well as have 8 less In / Outs. I have never heard one of our guys complain about the bigger screen. We have also sent plenty of both versions on tours and never heard anyone complain about the screen size on the R. It all comes down to what your size needs are for the console. If you need something compact then get the R. If you can always fit the full size then for for that one.

Hello All,

I have pretty much narrowed down my next mixer purchase to either the M32 or M32R. I would be interested in observations from anyone who has used either/both regarding functional and ergonomics differences between them. I prefer the footprint of the M32R, but I also like having more faders. FWIW - I currently use an LS9-16, so I am accustomed to a small board where I frequently swap layers. My biggest concern at this time is the difference in screen size, 5" vs 7" - I'm wondering how impactful that is when using the board.

Thoughts?

Regards
Tom

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 02:49:33 PM »

I can offer a comparison between the X32C and the M32R which may be helpful.

I prefer the slightly larger screen but for me that was not a deal-breaker.

The M32R lacks Scene Go/Next/Previous buttons and soft keys cannot be assigned to that function. This kept me from sticking with the M32R but will not be an issue for those not heavily utilizing the scene management functionality.

This is the same on both the M32 mixers but I prefer the scribble-strip angle on the X series vs the M.

Tommy Shannon

• Marketplace
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 02:55:50 PM »

We stock both and the only difference, as you noted, is 8 less faders and the smaller screen as well as have 8 less In / Outs. I have never heard one of our guys complain about the bigger screen. We have also sent plenty of both versions on tours and never heard anyone complain about the screen size on the R. It all comes down to what your size needs are for the console. If you need something compact then get the R. If you can always fit the full size then for for that one.

Thanks, Daniel - good to know. FWIW, I just measured my LS9-16 screen and the illuminated part is only 5.5", and that has worked fine for me except under daylight conditions - not sure if a larger screen would have been any better there.

Tommy Shannon

• Marketplace
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 02:59:15 PM »

I can offer a comparison between the X32C and the M32R which may be helpful.

I prefer the slightly larger screen but for me that was not a deal-breaker.

The M32R lacks Scene Go/Next/Previous buttons and soft keys cannot be assigned to that function. This kept me from sticking with the M32R but will not be an issue for those not heavily utilizing the scene management functionality.

This is the same on both the M32 mixers but I prefer the scribble-strip angle on the X series vs the M.

Appreciate the input, Corey. In fact, if things had worked out differently your M32R would now be my M32R :-). And yes, I don't currently use scene management much - mostly setup defaults for different performers/venues I use rather than active scene changes during shows.

Daniel Nickleski

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

The M32 screen is always way better in daylight compared to the LS9's screen.

Thanks, Daniel - good to know. FWIW, I just measured my LS9-16 screen and the illuminated part is only 5.5", and that has worked fine for me except under daylight conditions - not sure if a larger screen would have been any better there.

Matt Greiner

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 02:00:26 AM »

I prefer the footprint of the M32R, but I also like having more faders. FWIW - I currently use an LS9-16, so I am accustomed to a small board where I frequently swap layers. My biggest concern at this time is the difference in screen size, 5" vs 7" - I'm wondering how impactful that is when using the board.

I just purchased a M32 within the last month. I really appreciate having the 16 channel faders available on one layer.  Yes, it's definitely a bigger footprint than the M32R, and as mentioned there are a few differences between the M32 and M32R.  I think the biggest thing you need to consider is what is your typical venue space?  Will you have the room for the M32 a majority of the time, or would the space saving size of the M32R be better suited to your normal venues?  I know you said you are accustomed to a smaller footprint, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a larger desk wouldn't work.  If the difference in cost isn't a factor and the full size desk will work in most of your venues, I say go for the M32.

Something else to consider, if screen size becomes the deciding factor, you could log in a tablet and set it on the doghouse and use the M32-edit app for an additional screen view.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 06:36:07 AM »

The R doesn't have assignable rotary encoders, which i always use for FX parameters like decay, pre delay and delay feedback. A big no no for me. The assignables it does have are in a strange place. I also like having the 4 bus send rotaries.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 08:44:01 PM »

Quite a few snippets of info spread across various replies.

The R lacks the 4 bus send rotaries.  Maybe not an issue if you use sends on faders, but I tend to use these a lot.
The R lacks the 4 rotaries in the assignable section.  It has just 8 buttons, rather than the 3 banks of 8 buttons & 4 rotaries
The R lacks dedicated mute group buttons - you could assign mute groups to the assignable buttons.
The R has fewer faders, fewer local inputs, fewer local outputs - obviously!
The R's smaller screen means that the rotaries below don't line up with the on-screen legends.  Workable, but frustrating.
The R lacks a lamp socket.
The angle of the rear section is different between the two units - you may prefer one over the other.

Unless I was limited in space at the mix position or in the pack, it'd be the full-sized desk for me every time.  The M32R will still do the job, but it'll still always be easier on the M32.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 11:40:29 PM »

Quite a few snippets of info spread across various replies.

The R lacks the 4 bus send rotaries.  Maybe not an issue if you use sends on faders, but I tend to use these a lot.
The R lacks the 4 rotaries in the assignable section.  It has just 8 buttons, rather than the 3 banks of 8 buttons & 4 rotaries
The R lacks dedicated mute group buttons - you could assign mute groups to the assignable buttons.
The R has fewer faders, fewer local inputs, fewer local outputs - obviously!
The R's smaller screen means that the rotaries below don't line up with the on-screen legends.  Workable, but frustrating.
The R lacks a lamp socket.
The angle of the rear section is different between the two units - you may prefer one over the other.

Unless I was limited in space at the mix position or in the pack, it'd be the full-sized desk for me every time.  The M32R will still do the job, but it'll still always be easier on the M32.

I use the A group's 1-8 buttons in the assign section  to quickly call up monitor mixes and effects sends dependant on mix requirements.

As far as mute group buttons.  When you select Mute Groups on the left of the screen mute groups come up across the bottom of the screen.  Push the encoder below the group number on the screen to turn it on/off. Simple

The assign section has 3 banks(a,b,c) of 8 buttons each accessed by pushing the view button in the assign section.

The 16 faders can be easily set to 1-16 input faders. 1-8, 17-24, or 17 -32 or any mix of 2 banks of 8.  Like any board if you spend some time on it the mixing becomes second nature.

For  me I knew stage boxes were going to be used for some shows for full Channel count. For the smaller jobs below 17 xlr input count the smaller M32r was the way to go without lugging the larger M32 frame. Best of both worlds.

Douglas R. Allen

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:43:26 PM by Douglas R. Allen »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 11:40:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.