ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with processor settings: PRG Dual Aura 1808 box.  (Read 3719 times)

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Help with processor settings: PRG Dual Aura 1808 box.
« on: February 23, 2018, 12:18:54 AM »

I can't get a call back from PRG, so here I am.

The impedance curve of the box is attached*.  The driver specs I've picked up from here and there over the years are: Nominal Z = 8, Re = 5.6.  FS = 25Hz.  Pe = 800W (800 continuous sine I believe).  Power compression is I believe 1dB at 56V, 2dB at 80V, 3dB @ 100V.  I need to set a high-pass and limiter (Rane RPM88 - attack time is in db/sec).

*4 Ohm power resistor in series with the 4 Ohm box, drive level set at each frequency for 4V across the resistor = 1 Ampere through the box.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Help with processor settings: PRG Dual Aura 1808 box.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 07:52:28 AM »

I can't get a call back from PRG, so here I am.

The impedance curve of the box is attached*.  The driver specs I've picked up from here and there over the years are: Nominal Z = 8, Re = 5.6.  FS = 25Hz.  Pe = 800W (800 continuous sine I believe).  Power compression is I believe 1dB at 56V, 2dB at 80V, 3dB @ 100V.  I need to set a high-pass and limiter (Rane RPM88 - attack time is in db/sec).

*4 Ohm power resistor in series with the 4 Ohm box, drive level set at each frequency for 4V across the resistor = 1 Ampere through the box.
The problem with saying "sine wave power", is that it can be very misleading.

At what freq was the sine wave applied?  A minimum point of actual impedance or the nominal impedance, or some other other freq?

How was the calculation done?  Using the actual impedance at that freq or a voltage at some freq and then using the nomimal rating?

Depending on how you do it, you could come up with different ratings when looking at "calculated watts".

I would start with a HP at the tuning freq (25Hz in this case).

The following is based on a "4 ohm rating".

Depending on the type of limiters available and type of musical style usage etc, you could have a thermal limiter at 28V 3 seconds or so up to a peak limiter at 112V.

56V being the continuous limiter setting.  25Hz 40ms attack time.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 07:36:41 PM »

The problem with saying "sine wave power", is that it can be very misleading.

At what freq was the sine wave applied?  A minimum point of actual impedance or the nominal impedance, or some other other freq?

How was the calculation done?  Using the actual impedance at that freq or a voltage at some freq and then using the nomimal rating?

Depending on how you do it, you could come up with different ratings when looking at "calculated watts".

I would start with a HP at the tuning freq (25Hz in this case).

The following is based on a "4 ohm rating".

Depending on the type of limiters available and type of musical style usage etc, you could have a thermal limiter at 28V 3 seconds or so up to a peak limiter at 112V.

56V being the continuous limiter setting.  25Hz 40ms attack time.

Thanks Ivan.  (Some day I'm going to copy your desk idea - but with a Peavey Mark VIII.)

Understood on the knowing the true power handling.

Use is from mellow dance recitals to rock that's TFL - and I love the B string and 808 drops :-)

The limiter attack settings are not in ms but in dB/Sec.  Any idea how to correlate to two?  I can have multiple limiters in series, so if recommended I can have three at different level and time settings.  I just don't know what dB/sec gives me.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 07:36:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.