ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: another speaker question  (Read 12075 times)

Ken Cross

another speaker question
« on: February 21, 2018, 01:00:21 PM »

I have a new to me challenge. A church sanctuary want's new speakers hanging above a stage (front and center). What is different is they have a seating balcony almost as large as the main seating area. The room is about 65 feet wide and 55 feet deep. They desire passive speakers and they will be mounted about 28 to 20 feet from the floor. There is a huge beam for mounting the speakers, so the structure isn't an issue. My question:

Will speakers mounted in that single point reach all the seats on both the balcony and the floor without the need to add delayed speakers?

What speakers would you choose?

The sound system I'm told has plenty of output power, but they don't do loud rock. This would be used for voice and music. It's a mono setup.
Their budget is $5k and installation would be primarily me, so I know the budget need not include installation, just hardware. 

If I can make it work (they say 3rd time is a charm) I'll include photos. I know I have more work to do before actually ordering anything. I need to have a better look at the sound system that's there.

Ken Cross

Ken Cross

Re: another speaker question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 01:12:20 PM »

I should have added lower seating goes out almost 180 degrees from the speaker location.

Ken

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 01:22:18 PM »

If I can make it work (they say 3rd time is a charm) I'll include photos. I know I have more work to do before actually ordering anything. I need to have a better look at the sound system that's there.

Ken Cross

A side shot showing the depth of the under and over balcony and the speaker beam would help a lot.  Distance of the beam to the first seats, and then the last lower seat.  Where the over hang starts and the height.  The height of the back seat of the balcony and the distance back.  Is the ceiling sloped like the balcony?  Is the floor sloped?

Is the picture complete with the 2 Bose as the entire speaker system?  Did they fill the space?

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 01:25:47 PM »

OMG, are those Bose 800 series in the second picture!  Is that their current sound system?

I hate to say this but you need to determine what speaker systems will work for this room, and THEN say this is what it will cost.  The room determines what is needed, and then you try to find loudspeakers that fit the room requirements.  EASE Focus can help with modeling, and many manufacturers will be glad to assist with a design if you get them the information they need.  I'm not confident that your budget is realistic.  Do they want to try a forth time in a year or too?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 01:40:34 PM »

Rigging/Flying = structural engineer.

Electrical = electrician.

Budget is probably too low, but I guess cheap stuff is out there.

Real dimensions & modeling required/suggested.

Did those Bose 800 series really handle the contemporary band & drums...?

---

I'd start with a correct to dimensions model in Ease or Direct. Plop in some CDDLive 12's or SH96 or SM100 see how it does.

Go from there?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Ken Cross

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 03:34:04 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I need to get back over there. I was only able to spend 30 minutes or so last time.

As for the structural engineering, that's covered by volunteer effort (We live in a town with many engineers.)
Electrical is also covered with volunteers (That's me and I think the wiring is already in place anyway, I know for sure the raceway is.).

The old speakers are inadequate and everyone knows that. Their location is also poor and won't be continued.

The horizontal distance from the beam to the front row of seats is only about 15 feet. The beam sits 20 feet above the floor.The balcony leaves 12 feet above the bottom seats and 12 feet above the balcony to the ceiling at the front seats. The room width is 66 feet. The depth of the room above the balcony is 55. Below the balcony, the depth is 50. There are soft surfaces leaving the room a bit dead in terms of reverberation. I don't know the distance between the beam and the front of the balcony, but I'd guess about 25 feet. I'm told the balcony normally gets little use, but it may be full for a memorial service for example.

Ken

Ken 

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 04:17:40 PM »

I threw together something quick'n'dirty.

SH96 might be overkill, idunno.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqeagfyoh21ltz2/KenCross_Church.danley?dl=0
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Ken Cross

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 12:34:38 AM »

A side shot showing the depth of the under and over balcony and the speaker beam would help a lot.  Distance of the beam to the first seats, and then the last lower seat.  Where the over hang starts and the height.  The height of the back seat of the balcony and the distance back.  Is the ceiling sloped like the balcony?  Is the floor sloped?

Here is a side shot. I managed to get over there again today. I did determine the speaker wire is adequate to do the job.  The main amp is a Behringer model EPQ2000.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Ken

Ken Cross

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 12:36:05 AM »

I threw together something quick'n'dirty.

SH96 might be overkill, idunno.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqeagfyoh21ltz2/KenCross_Church.danley?dl=0

Much thanks, Nathan. That is helpful.

Ken

David Allred

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 07:57:52 AM »

Throwing a protractor on the picture, it looks like the front floor seats to the rear balcony seats could be covered by a speaker with a 50 deg vertical.  60 degs gets an additional row up front.
A center cluster pair fully splayed appear to not need a full 180 horizontal. 
With the seating as shown you might start by modeling 80 x 50 speakers.  80 x 60 (if such a creature exits) would be a good choice as well.  90 x 60 is going to get on the walls more and creep around to the stage edges, but definitely fills the space.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 07:57:52 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.