ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QU-32 routing question  (Read 3758 times)

Stephen Swaffer

QU-32 routing question
« on: February 19, 2018, 06:49:34 PM »

I have 3 sets of speakers I need to have slaved-main, sidefill and overflow.  For various reasons, I need each on a separate mix-I would like to control our choir mics as a group, using group processing-but I would also like to have a group master that keeps the 3 sets of speakers tracking together.

So far, the only way I find to accomplish this is using a group and a DCA.  That is not the end of the world; however, at times it can defeat the advantage of a group if I am trying to mix the choir with either instruments, or occasionally we will have a group (more often a soloist-but that is obviously easier to mix).

What am I overlooking?
Steve Swaffer

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: QU-32 routing question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:56:51 AM »

I have 3 sets of speakers I need to have slaved-main, sidefill and overflow.  For various reasons, I need each on a separate mix-I would like to control our choir mics as a group, using group processing-but I would also like to have a group master that keeps the 3 sets of speakers tracking together.

So far, the only way I find to accomplish this is using a group and a DCA.  That is not the end of the world; however, at times it can defeat the advantage of a group if I am trying to mix the choir with either instruments, or occasionally we will have a group (more often a soloist-but that is obviously easier to mix).

What am I overlooking?
Considering there are only 2 matrix outs available , your solution seems the most straight forward.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 08:08:46 PM »

What am I overlooking?

Are you wanting to build completely separate mixes for each zone?

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 01:04:07 PM »

To an extent, yes.  We have a 9 ft Grand Baldwin in the auditorium-it needs little to no help in the auditorium, but it needs help in the overflow.  We are starting to try and build an orchestra-mainly brass and some woodwinds, they too tend to get lost in the overflow with the acoustics of the room, but not really need much if anything in the main auditorium. 

We also occasionally use the overflow as a separate room at the some time as the main auditorium (just for a single teacher)-the QU gives us the flexibiliy to use it as a "split" PA and just run one of the cordless mics through that mix only for that use. I could use scenes to recongifure the whole system in that case though.

Most of the mix is the same-just some tweaks here and there.
Steve Swaffer

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 01:36:57 PM »

With the need to be able to customize the mix per each zone using the main L R for the main room and a mix/aux for the overflow and fill room zones may be the best bet. Most likely you would want the mixes feeding the other two zones to be set post fade post all. The masters for the mains and the two zone mixes controlled with a DCA.

That all maybe what your kind of doing now.

If needed don't forget that the groups can be converted to additional mixes.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 07:21:08 PM »

With the need to be able to customize the mix per each zone using the main L R for the main room and a mix/aux for the overflow and fill room zones may be the best bet. Most likely you would want the mixes feeding the other two zones to be set post fade post all. The masters for the mains and the two zone mixes controlled with a DCA.

That all maybe what your kind of doing now.

That is what I am doing and it works well-except that when you assign mics to a group and then that group to multiple mixes, there is no way that I can find to slave the group sends to the various mixes.

I could assign the mics to a DCA instead of a group-but I have one mix  that I don't want the DCA to affect.  I probably need to change the choir mics to pre fade in that mix.  If it was just me running things that would work-just trying to keep things simple (but I am failing and making it more complex :( ).
Steve Swaffer

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 08:04:19 PM »

How many and what channels are you assigning to a group that is then routed to a mix, in that same mix how many and what channels are directly assigned to the mix.

When you assign channels to a group and those channels are also assigned to the main L R outputs you loose the ability to create a completely separate mix without changing the main L R mix other than those channels overall group level into the zone mix output.

Make sure you do not assign any channel to a group and have those assigned channels also assigned to the mix that the group is also assigned to, if you do you get a nice phase shifty effect from the ever slight latency difference between the group routing to a mix and the channel direct routing to that same mix.

Aron Kam

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:58:45 PM »

My church also using Qu-32 with multiple flows to different halls and broadcast.

We mainly set Mix/Aux in post mode. It needs some time to twist the levels of different channels to match different characteristics of each send. Need a lot of trial and error with different team members stand on each locations.

Also I thinking is it possible to use the Matrix, which I believe groups can send to Matrix. It need little creativity to assign groups. Or simply just feed from group output at the back.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:58:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.