ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking out a sub port to increase depth  (Read 9437 times)

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Taking out a sub port to increase depth
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 02:12:11 PM »

That's gonna be impossible because i've emailed and phoned Wharfedale a few times in the past two years about the TS parameters of their drivers and they themselves don't even know they told me, they have no idea, there's no paperwork on any specs or anything on their drivers

Actually you don't need the TS specs of the existing drivers unless you just want it for instructional purposes, the performance they provide is already known and you're just concerned with improving on that. 
WinISD is a free box simulation program available http://www.linearteam.org/, enter the TS specs for a driver you are considering and model it based on your cabinets internal volume and port dimensions. Note that there is no default setting for triangular ports but two of them together make a square and that can be simulated in WinISD. Follow the instructions on the sequence of entering TS specs and let the software auto calculate some of them.
My suggestion here is don't go overboard with new drivers, these cabs won't be braced enough or have big enough ports to support the current state of the art drivers like the B&C 18SW118 so aim for more midrange level drivers.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:18:59 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »

Richard, didn't you already have a user account without the underscore?

IIRC same pedantic type of discussion based too.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Richard_Stringer

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 02:51:21 PM »

Actually you don't need the TS specs of the existing drivers unless you just want it for instructional purposes, the performance they provide is already known and you're just concerned with improving on that. 
WinISD is a free box simulation program available http://www.linearteam.org/, enter the TS specs for a driver you are considering and model it based on your cabinets internal volume and port dimensions. Note that there is no default setting for triangular ports but two of them together make a square and that can be simulated in WinISD. Follow the instructions on the sequence of entering TS specs and let the software auto calculate some of them.
My suggestion here is don't go overboard with new drivers, these cabs won't be braced enough or have big enough ports to support the current state of the art drivers like the B&C 18SW118 so aim for more midrange level drivers.

I  used WinISD to model the RCF L18P300 and all looks ok, here's the readout and on the page you can't see on the readout the port velocity was in the green too.

Richard_Stringer

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 02:52:45 PM »

Richard, didn't you already have a user account without the underscore?

IIRC same pedantic type of discussion based too.

Yes I did have an account but I can't remember asking this question, I typed in my name but a message on screen said there is no account by that name, and if you don't want to help then don't reply simple as that, sorry.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 03:01:59 PM »

Yes I did have an account but I can't remember asking this question, I typed in my name but a message on screen said there is no account by that name, and if you don't want to help then don't reply simple as that, sorry.

In fact you have two other accounts. Three is too many. If you need help logging into your account, ask for help, do not open a new account.

Mac
admin

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 03:05:15 PM »

I didn't say it was the same pedantic discussion. 

You want to compare the margins between generally equivalent gear or how to improve the gear you have.

You already have received answers from folks willing to indulge what happens when you change drivers and those of us who view changing drivers in existing designs a great way to burn money.

You can of course drivel on.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Richard_Stringer

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 03:05:59 PM »

In fact you have two other accounts. Three is too many. If you need help logging into your account, ask for help, do not open a new account.

Mac
admin

I tried both those accounts and it said there wasn't an account with that name so I figured they'd been deleted so that's why I registered again.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 04:14:47 PM »

There's 8 ports on each sub with 4 ports being on each driver chamber (each driver is in a seperate chamber) and the inner dimension of each the ports is 180mm x 140mm x 395mm deep. I worked out that the internal capacity of each driver chamber is aproximately 116 litres which is tiny. Would the RCF L18P300 be better instead of the P400? The L18P300 has 7.8mm xmax.

116L would be fine for something modern. I've got 15"s in a smidge under 50L, but they do need a bit of EQ to get flat in the bottom end.
Have another look at the B&C driver I mentioned to see what sort of thing you should (IMO) be looking at.

It's worth updating your WinISD - it looks like you're using the old Beta version. The newer one shows excursion and lets you apply EQ/filters.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Richard_Stringer

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 04:43:46 PM »

116L would be fine for something modern. I've got 15"s in a smidge under 50L, but they do need a bit of EQ to get flat in the bottom end.
Have another look at the B&C driver I mentioned to see what sort of thing you should (IMO) be looking at.

It's worth updating your WinISD - it looks like you're using the old Beta version. The newer one shows excursion and lets you apply EQ/filters.

Chris

Thanks Chris i've downloaded the latest version of WinISD earlier so i'll see what it comes up with when I input the B&C driver and also the two RCF ones. Thanks also to the other people that offered helpful advice but to those who were rude to me go maybe you could go and acquire yourself some ecstasy tablets so you start hugging people instead of starting on them.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 09:59:54 PM »

One idea? See if there are modern 15” drivers that would perform better? That would give room for proper ports?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 09:59:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.