ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking out a sub port to increase depth  (Read 9435 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Taking out a sub port to increase depth
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 03:39:42 AM »

One idea? See if there are modern 15” drivers that would perform better? That would give room for proper ports?

Good move, I like that. A good 15" will outperform a bad 18", and it gives more space on the baffle to play around.

Richard, I'm not going to comment on what the others have posted. They have their reasons and while I can see why you might want to question it, my advice would be to ask to have the accounts merged if possible, or delete the old ones if not.
Politely.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 04:01:48 AM »

Good move, I like that. A good 15" will outperform a bad 18", and it gives more space on the baffle to play around.

Richard, I'm not going to comment on what the others have posted. They have their reasons and while I can see why you might want to question it, my advice would be to ask to have the accounts merged if possible, or delete the old ones if not.
Politely.

Chris

I wasn't commenting on the multiple accounts, more the repetitive dialog.

My opinion is if a better speaker could be made at a certain price point, the vendor would marshal their extensive resources and make one.  Putting money into these cabinets doesn't add any value to his system.  The marginal performance increase, if any, won't generate any return.

If he has an application that calls for a higher output speaker, or one that goes lower then the revenue should be in place to cover the capital expense.  If it's a hobby and not a business then sell these subs, add the money you are going to spend on the drivers and go buy something that is known to do what you want.  In the end you will be far more satisfied.

What if you spend all this time and money and don't get the results you want?  You are farther back then when you started.

I did the same thing when I was starting out.  Reloaded all my Behringer B1800D cabinets with B&C drivers.  Clients still saw the same cabinets and other than better power handling I got nothing in return.  In the end we ended up buying what we really needed.

Just trying to save Richard some pain.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Richard_Stringer

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 10:13:33 AM »

Scott...

Thanks yeah the problem is here in the UK there's no way near as decent used pa equipment as there is in the USA, I know over there you have a huge picking of everything from EAW KF650 to JBL SR4733 and SR4719 etc...but here there's really not that much about and when it does come up it's gone within a week usually so it's very easy for something to come up for sale and then be sold before you log into used equipment sites and have a chance to buy it.

If I sold my subs they'd only go for pennies here in the UK and then i'd have to find a lot of money to make up for the huge loss they'd sell for before I can even start adding money towards it to buy better subs. Plus i'm on British welfare disability (because I have Autism, OCD, Tourettes and ADHD) and am trying the best I can with what I have. I only receive £350 a week income on disability welfare to pay bills like rent, food, gas, water, electric, council tax, debts that i'm paying every month and so buying pa equipment takes months just to be able to afford one £700 sub.

I'm intending on trying to get off disability and start a music business of some sorts like discos or something but seeing as our British government won't help anyone on welfare start a business unless you're Polish I have to try and fund it myself. I've asked five times in the past 10 years for help to start my own business and been told all times that they wouldn't even consider it. Despite that Polish people here in my town of Boston in Lincolnshire are given money to start a business that's why my town is absolutely flooded with foreign businesses. I figure if the government and no-one else will help me then I have to try and fund starting a business myself on pennies I have left after bills and stuff are paid.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:18:45 AM by Richard_Stringer »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 01:53:04 PM »

Scott...

Thanks yeah the problem is here in the UK there's no way near as decent used pa equipment as there is in the USA, I know over there you have a huge picking of everything from EAW KF650 to JBL SR4733 and SR4719 etc...but here there's really not that much about and when it does come up it's gone within a week usually so it's very easy for something to come up for sale and then be sold before you log into used equipment sites and have a chance to buy it.

If I sold my subs they'd only go for pennies here in the UK and then i'd have to find a lot of money to make up for the huge loss they'd sell for before I can even start adding money towards it to buy better subs. Plus i'm on British welfare disability (because I have Autism, OCD, Tourettes and ADHD) and am trying the best I can with what I have. I only receive £350 a week income on disability welfare to pay bills like rent, food, gas, water, electric, council tax, debts that i'm paying every month and so buying pa equipment takes months just to be able to afford one £700 sub.

I'm intending on trying to get off disability and start a music business of some sorts like discos or something but seeing as our British government won't help anyone on welfare start a business unless you're Polish I have to try and fund it myself. I've asked five times in the past 10 years for help to start my own business and been told all times that they wouldn't even consider it. Despite that Polish people here in my town of Boston in Lincolnshire are given money to start a business that's why my town is absolutely flooded with foreign businesses. I figure if the government and no-one else will help me then I have to try and fund starting a business myself on pennies I have left after bills and stuff are paid.

Those are some tough obstacles to overcome for being independent let alone starting a business. 

While it's fun to fret over the details of equipment purchases, writing a solid business plan then seeking funding (have you considered kickstarter) is where you want to be focusing your time.  The gear will fall into place.

Are you doing any public performances currently?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Richard_Stringer

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 02:25:22 PM »

Those are some tough obstacles to overcome for being independent let alone starting a business. 

While it's fun to fret over the details of equipment purchases, writing a solid business plan then seeking funding (have you considered kickstarter) is where you want to be focusing your time.  The gear will fall into place.

Are you doing any public performances currently?

I've asked the job centres who are supposed to help people get off welfare and one way is to help them start a business,  i've also asked the local council and emailed a number of politicians some of whom have replied telling me to ask the local job centre who once again told me no. I've been doing very small dance events on and off for years and used to have two JBL SRX728 subs and two Peavey UL215H mid/highs but due to the lovely government here persecuting the disabled and painting us as the lazy scum of the UK I like hundreds of thousands had my welfare money cut down to £71 a week. Obviously no-one can pay for gas, water, electric, food, council tax, rent, travel costs, mobile phone credit all on £71 a week I had to sell my entire system. It took months and months of stress, depression, crying, attempting suicide, more stress and then finally picking myself off the floor and fighting them every step of the way and finally threatening to take them to court for writing fraudulent medical assessments about me to eventually get them to acknowledge my disability again and give me back my disability money so I could at least afford to feed my kids.

It's been hard to say the least and i'm trying so hard to do something with my life (unlike many who love being on welfare I want to stand proud and start my own business). I've been dj'ing since 1993 and I know most dj's clip systems but I learned about gain structure in 1994 and never clipped a system from then on.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:27:44 PM by Richard_Stringer »

Roland Clarke

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 09:49:07 PM »

If you were struggling to hold on to your srx 728’s I would suggest that you will find the market much harder these days.  Why don’t you try getting some work assisting another company that has kit?  No stress trying to fund it, no stress worrying about whether you are likely to end up having to sell it to fund real stuff like food and it’s advantagous to a company to hire disabled staff, particularly larger ones.  I appreciate your problems may make it hard in work, but as you do not suffer restricted mobility I can’t see any reason that would exclude you from working for the right company.  Short of that, perhaps look for a like minded person that is interested in going in with you who perhaps has some (or access too) kit.

Directly on topic, I would think that refurbishing these cabs is unlikely to yield decent results, for a similar amount of money, you could buy the B&C drivers and build a box to their plans, likely to be far more successful.  Good luck to you!

duane massey

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 01:22:59 AM »

IF you have woodworking skills an basic tools, DIY would be a worthwhile option, but only if you don't have a need to offer pro-level branded speakers.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »

Richard, you've certainly been dealt a lousy hand and I applaud your tenacity.

We Yankees tend to forget that things can be very different in England, too, and that the new/used/reclaimed market is not same as here in the USA or Canada.

My observations about re-working existing loudspeakers come down to "it is what it is."  If it could have been more, it would have been.  The engineers who design loudspeakers wring the most subjective performance out their products already (stock) and attempts by end users to 'improve upon' tend to fall flat and represent funds misspent in pursuit of an elusive goal.

Experimentation is good and often leads to better understanding.  Try the simulations and modeling in your software using the speaker's interior cabinet cubic volume and take into account the amount of volume displaced by the woofers.  The only variables you have control over are port dimensions and loudspeaker choice.  The loudspeaker you desire to use may not be a good fit because the cabinet is too small or too large, making the port dimensions impractical or unobtainable.  It's a puzzle with many parts that move around.

Good luck in all your endeavors.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 12:09:36 PM »

My observations about re-working existing loudspeakers come down to "it is what it is."  If it could have been more, it would have been.  The engineers who design loudspeakers wring the most subjective performance out their products already (stock) and attempts by end users to 'improve upon' tend to fall flat and represent funds misspent in pursuit of an elusive goal.

While I tend to agree, these Wharfedale cabinets would be lucky if they had a bottom-of-the-line Eminence driver in there.
Putting something a bit better in there has the potential to improve things massively IMO, so long as the ports are re-sized according to the new driver's T/S parameters etc. Just dropping different drivers in can be a real crap-shoot without doing the maths first.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »

I wouldn't bother putting expensive B&C or 18-Sound drivers in those.  Besides port chuffing the boxes probably aren't strong enough.  If you can't do a DIY (Check out SpeakerPlans.com which has bunches of DJ oriented subwoofer plans) then spending some time with WinISD or BassBox would let you try things and possibly find a budget driver that would improve things.

Be very careful about trying to get them to play too low however.  Instead of just looking at the frequency response curves, watch the impedance and excursion plots as well.  You don't want the speaker to unload and bottom out.  Which will happen at relatively low levels if you try to tune for too much low end extension.  And will render your modification less capable than what you started out with.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.