ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RP TNC Tempest antenna remote extender (on the cheap)  (Read 2376 times)

Mike Kahrs

RP TNC Tempest antenna remote extender (on the cheap)
« on: February 16, 2018, 07:36:39 PM »

I am setting up and operating a Tempest/HelixNet system next week.  The Tempest is 900MHz.  The Tempest is in a birch rack with the antenna attached to the base with no remote transceiver available.  I don't have any RP TNC  - BNC 50 ohm adapters handy.  I'm still looking.

But, I have an older Linksys wireless router (WRT54?) with a remote antenna mount with 6'(?) of cable.  If I remove the 2.4 antennas and meter the ends for continuity, I should be able to screw the Linksys adapter (one side anyway) to the Tempest base, and screw the RP TNC antenna to the correct side of the mount and get the antenna out of the rack and up in the air, right?

I know, try it, but it's an accelerated load-in schedule and I'm on an ambitious show currently with no time in between.

The Linksys unit is 2.4 and the Tempest is 900 but the antenna impedance is the same I believe.

Thoughts?  Thanks.

Why know when you can guess...

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: RP TNC Tempest antenna remote extender (on the cheap)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »

I am setting up and operating a Tempest/HelixNet system next week.  The Tempest is 900MHz.  The Tempest is in a birch rack with the antenna attached to the base with no remote transceiver available.  I don't have any RP TNC  - BNC 50 ohm adapters handy.  I'm still looking.

But, I have an older Linksys wireless router (WRT54?) with a remote antenna mount with 6'(?) of cable.  If I remove the 2.4 antennas and meter the ends for continuity, I should be able to screw the Linksys adapter (one side anyway) to the Tempest base, and screw the RP TNC antenna to the correct side of the mount and get the antenna out of the rack and up in the air, right?

I know, try it, but it's an accelerated load-in schedule and I'm on an ambitious show currently with no time in between.

The Linksys unit is 2.4 and the Tempest is 900 but the antenna impedance is the same I believe.

There's only one style of reverse pin TNC [male and female], so yes, the Linksys extension coax should work with Tempest.

For future reference,L-Com has a very good selection of RP antennas, coax assemblies, connectors and adapters.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Brian Hancock

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 09:41:41 PM »

L-com also has 900 directional antennas ... which work great with tempest ...

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 10:46:56 PM »

L-com also has 900 directional antennas ... which work great with tempest ...

L-Com is a great resource for this kind of stuff. I bought a pair of omni 900MHz antennas along with premade cables to go from the antenna's N-female to a Tempest base station TNC-RP, and it worked great.  Customer very happy.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 10:46:56 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.