ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Spare woofer for KW181 - international delivery...  (Read 5710 times)

Johannes Halvorsen

Spare woofer for KW181 - international delivery...
« on: February 16, 2018, 11:24:07 AM »

So, I've just run in to a case of what I personaly consider business douchebaggery:

One of our KW181s has somehow gotten the magnet knocket off sometime during the last year. (On a side note I can't fathom how 6x 5mm bolts and all that glue surface can be overwon without a scratch to the surface of the sub, but that is another storry I guess...)

My frustration stems from the fact that the Norwegian importer of QSC wants a completely redicilious price for a new woofer. The element retails for 152$ in North America, and some online shops quotes ~250$.

Now, in Norway that very same piece of space age engineering and unicorn hair costs roughly 785$. Yikes.

I completely understand that companies need their margins and that Norwegian sales tax is higher than in most US states, but man... That price jump is out of any proportion.

So then the questuion is: Does anyone know an international suplyer that is willing to ship said 18 inch woofer to the kingdom of Norway...?

Or is this actually QSC being dicks? Thomann could NOT ship it here.

Alternatively: If anyone knows of an element with close enough specs to work as a replacement (thus is one of 4 KW181s we use), I'm all ears.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Spare woofer for KW181 - international delivery...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 11:40:33 AM »

So, I've just run in to a case of what I personaly consider business douchebaggery:

One of our KW181s has somehow gotten the magnet knocket off sometime during the last year. (On a side note I can't fathom how 6x 5mm bolts and all that glue surface can be overwon without a scratch to the surface of the sub, but that is another storry I guess...)

My frustration stems from the fact that the Norwegian importer of QSC wants a completely redicilious price for a new woofer. The element retails for 152$ in North America, and some online shops quotes ~250$.

Now, in Norway that very same piece of space age engineering and unicorn hair costs roughly 785$. Yikes.

I completely understand that companies need their margins and that Norwegian sales tax is higher than in most US states, but man... That price jump is out of any proportion.

So then the questuion is: Does anyone know an international suplyer that is willing to ship said 18 inch woofer to the kingdom of Norway...?

Or is this actually QSC being dicks? Thomann could NOT ship it here.

Alternatively: If anyone knows of an element with close enough specs to work as a replacement (thus is one of 4 KW181s we use), I'm all ears.

Prices are set by the firm that imports QSC to Norway.  Whether or not QSC charges all international importers the same price is a different question.

Thomann won't ship to Norway because of their dealer agreement with QSC's European importer; importers and distributors get geographic exclusivity.  Your best bet is likely a private seller willing to ship internationally.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 11:46:31 AM »

Prices are set by the firm that imports QSC to Norway.  Whether or not QSC charges all international importers the same price is a different question.

Thomann won't ship to Norway because of their dealer agreement with QSC's European importer; importers and distributors get geographic exclusivity.  Your best bet is likely a private seller willing to ship internationally.

Ferengies!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 11:53:02 AM »

Ferengies!

Ferengie need oxygen!  You might have found a barter... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 09:02:30 AM »

I know QSC uses a lot of Celestion speakers in their boxes. Judging from the picture of the spare on the QSC site and the 18 inch speaker offerings on the Celestion site this one "looks" like the closest match short of the magnet being painted black.

https://celestion.com/product/86/ftr184080hdx/

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 09:20:55 AM »

I know QSC uses a lot of Celestion speakers in their boxes. Judging from the picture of the spare on the QSC site and the 18 inch speaker offerings on the Celestion site this one "looks" like the closest match short of the magnet being painted black.

https://celestion.com/product/86/ftr184080hdx/
Hm. I agree that the looks is quite close. And the nomibal impedanse and power handling seems correct.

Do Celestiob use Chinese mabufacturers? The original element is stamped with made in China.

If anyone knows more, please speak up.

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 09:28:23 AM »

We have a winner:

https://www.loudspeakersplus.com/Celestion-FTR18-4080HDX-p/celestion-ftr18-4080hdx.htm

"Cast aluminum basket. A direct replacement for QSC KW181 speaker and the EAW LC18-4004-8."

And it looks like it is avaialble from domestic supliers for aprox half the price of the QSC branded Unobtainium driver. Thank you SO much!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 09:50:46 AM »

Hm. I agree that the looks is quite close. And the nomibal impedanse and power handling seems correct.

Do Celestiob use Chinese mabufacturers? The original element is stamped with made in China.

If anyone knows more, please speak up.

Yes, most Celestion components are made in China.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 01:40:04 PM »

$785 sounds about right if the distributor wish to earn some money on it after transport, customs and taxes have been paid.

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »

$785 sounds about right if the distributor wish to earn some money on it after transport, customs and taxes have been paid.
There is 25% sales tax, but afaik you don't pay any customs charge for electronics in Norway. Let's be generous and say there is a 100$ shipping cost. Let us be even more generous and say 50$ in vages and various other costs. Then there is 23% company tax on your profit.

All in all you have a net profit of about 250$ on a 300$ cost. To me that sounds like you have a lucrative business going...

But again, that is hypotetical. I'll buy the Celestion driver in stead. :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.