ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Spare woofer for KW181 - international delivery...  (Read 5708 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Spare woofer for KW181 - international delivery...
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 02:55:23 PM »

So, I've just run in to a case of what I personaly consider business douchebaggery:

One of our KW181s has somehow gotten the magnet knocket off sometime during the last year. (On a side note I can't fathom how 6x 5mm bolts and all that glue surface can be overwon without a scratch to the surface of the sub, but that is another storry I guess...)

My frustration stems from the fact that the Norwegian importer of QSC wants a completely redicilious price for a new woofer. The element retails for 152$ in North America, and some online shops quotes ~250$.

Now, in Norway that very same piece of space age engineering and unicorn hair costs roughly 785$. Yikes.

I completely understand that companies need their margins and that Norwegian sales tax is higher than in most US states, but man... That price jump is out of any proportion.

So then the questuion is: Does anyone know an international suplyer that is willing to ship said 18 inch woofer to the kingdom of Norway...?

Or is this actually QSC being dicks? Thomann could NOT ship it here.

Alternatively: If anyone knows of an element with close enough specs to work as a replacement (thus is one of 4 KW181s we use), I'm all ears.

We have had two 181's do this.  It's rough handling.  The magnet is not bolted to basket it is riveted.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 03:36:18 PM »

We have had two 181's do this.  It's rough handling.  The magnet is not bolted to basket it is riveted.

Rough indeed... I guess you are probably right about rivets vs bolts, but there is still 6 of them, and they are not what I'd consider flimsy.

Intetesting to hear others have the same problem. The thought had crossed my mind that this could be a single weak unit, but if you have experienced the same it confirmes my main theory of rough handling.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 03:53:48 PM »

Rough indeed... I guess you are probably right about rivets vs bolts, but there is still 6 of them, and they are not what I'd consider flimsy.

Intetesting to hear others have the same problem. The thought had crossed my mind that this could be a single weak unit, but if you have experienced the same it confirmes my main theory of rough handling.

One was casual, I saw it go off the side off the ramp.  The other one the guy had a history of rough loading and was let go.  The other failure mode is the magnet will shift and the VC will bind in the gap.  I have one of those on our "wall of shame", a living monument to human stupidity.  The problem is nobody ever learns when I pay the bills.  Good crew is hard to find and all things considered these are good guys. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 05:43:54 AM »

There is 25% sales tax, but afaik you don't pay any customs charge for electronics in Norway. Let's be generous and say there is a 100$ shipping cost. Let us be even more generous and say 50$ in vages and various other costs. Then there is 23% company tax on your profit.

All in all you have a net profit of about 250$ on a 300$ cost. To me that sounds like you have a lucrative business going...

But again, that is hypotetical. I'll buy the Celestion driver in stead. :)

As a company, you pay for customs clearing your import.

As I said, that price is about right if they wish to make money on that deal.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 03:42:42 PM »

Apparently more common than I thought.  I've had to replace three 18's in my KW181's, but always when I've rented the subs.  This has been over a 6 or 7 year period with eight 181's in my rental stock.  Good little sub and zero electronic issues, but just like anything, reasonable care is needed. 

I've had 6 DB Tech S30's for three years.  On a two day rental to another sound co, all 6 subs had the covers almost shreaded to pieces and the subs received more wear than 10 years worth of wear from my crew!  Other people don't give a damn if they damage your gear.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 03:42:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.