ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SIFM equivalent on the (ahem) other platform  (Read 6562 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
SIFM equivalent on the (ahem) other platform
« on: February 16, 2018, 12:52:33 AM »

So, with a growing number of Sennheiser wireless mic and IEM systems, I started looking at various software beginning with Sennheiser’s own WSM software that runs on Windows or Mac.  That was only half of what was needed, it seemed that to actually get system proposals Sennheiser’s SIFM program is required. 

OK, they’re both free, so what’s the problem?  The only reasonable computer I have is a MAC. SIFM does not run on a MAC. (Oh NO! Not the PC vs MAC issue... again!! Ought to be banned from the forum like politics and religion, as the arguments are both!)

So I started looking and on Blue Room forum, found references to some software other than the Senn.  The stuff that was listed - Intermod which looked like a good bet in 2007 is no longer.  NutsAboutNets has Intermod Assist, again, PC only. They also have Clear Waves for MAC OS, but requires the RF explorer for data acquisition. Professional Wireless has their IAS, but again is Windows only.  There are others - including Excel versions using VBA - but the code is locked so it is not a direct port to MAC Excel, either.

There is also Wireless Workbench from Shure, which will only control Shure wireless mics, but will do intermod calculations for anything. Fortunately, it does run on a MAC.

So, without bringing up directly the never ending Windows vs Mac discussion, is there anyone out there using anything like the software mentioned above natively on a MAC. I’ll skip the entire VM/Boot-Camp/Wine solutions. If it comes to that, I’ll break down and get a Windows box.

Silly question: Is there anything in the Android world or IOS that creates system proposals?  That’d be a hoot.

Funny, it was digital mixing (Presonus/Firewire) that had me abandon Windows in the first place.  Round and round we go.

frank

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: SIFM equivalent on the (ahem) other platform
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 03:40:03 AM »

So, with a growing number of Sennheiser wireless mic and IEM systems, I started looking at various software beginning with Sennheiser’s own WSM software that runs on Windows or Mac.  That was only half of what was needed, it seemed that to actually get system proposals Sennheiser’s SIFM program is required. 

OK, they’re both free, so what’s the problem?  The only reasonable computer I have is a MAC. SIFM does not run on a MAC. (Oh NO! Not the PC vs MAC issue... again!! Ought to be banned from the forum like politics and religion, as the arguments are both!)

So I started looking and on Blue Room forum, found references to some software other than the Senn.  The stuff that was listed - Intermod which looked like a good bet in 2007 is no longer.  NutsAboutNets has Intermod Assist, again, PC only. They also have Clear Waves for MAC OS, but requires the RF explorer for data acquisition. Professional Wireless has their IAS, but again is Windows only.  There are others - including Excel versions using VBA - but the code is locked so it is not a direct port to MAC Excel, either.

There is also Wireless Workbench from Shure, which will only control Shure wireless mics, but will do intermod calculations for anything. Fortunately, it does run on a MAC.

So, without bringing up directly the never ending Windows vs Mac discussion, is there anyone out there using anything like the software mentioned above natively on a MAC. I’ll skip the entire VM/Boot-Camp/Wine solutions. If it comes to that, I’ll break down and get a Windows box.

Silly question: Is there anything in the Android world or IOS that creates system proposals?  That’d be a hoot.

Funny, it was digital mixing (Presonus/Firewire) that had me abandon Windows in the first place.  Round and round we go.

frank
Computers are tools. In this industry, you need both MacOS and Windows, just like you might need both metric and imperial wrenches. Doesn’t do much good to say you will only work with metric tools when all around you is imperial nuts, even though obviously metric is a superior system.
If you try and make it political and Apple vs Microsoft, you really have too much time on your hands and, btw, NOBODY CARES!
Figure out how to run both OS (it couldn’t really be any easier) and get off the high horse of Mac vs Windows. Completely Pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:34:51 AM »

frank

WSM should be all that is required.  You can calculate frequencies and insert/create TV as well as other device frequencies within WSM just as you can in WWB.  I have not opened a copy of SIFM in years.

Also, what Andrew said about working in both platforms is pretty spot on.  Much of the professional audio software out there is available as Windows only while some is available for both Windows and Mac.  By limiting yourself to a Mac platform only you are effectively choosing to limit yourself to certain manufacturers and effectively exclude the most powerful design tools out there (AFMG's various products) as well as quite a few of the available DSP systems and DSP controlled speakers on the market.

Much of the PC only software out there can be run effectively on Bootcamp or on a VM windows machine on a Mac.  If I am working seriously in both platforms, although it has been quite some time now since I have had to do that during a system design or commissioning, I prefer having side by side machines rather than running a VM or Bootcamp. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 06:39:06 AM »

Would Wireless Work Bench not do what you need? It's available for both OS

The Imperial/Metric example is a good one !
 Bootcamp Windows on a Mac or pick up a cheap and cheerful used PC (they are cheap)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »

I don't know what you have against a VM, but I've been running a variety of Windows only software on MacOS for probably 10 years. I started with VW Fusion, but switched to Parallels 3 years ago. Most of the work I do is with software that runs under MacOS, but I also have to run PWS's IAS for frequency coordination, RTS telex's AZEdit to program Adam matrix intercoms, Reidel Director comms software, and Optocore client software. Everything can be open on my at the same time, and I can switch between windows as if they were all native apps.

I certainly weighs a lot less than lugging 2 computers everywhere.

Mac

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 01:02:06 PM »

WSM should be all that is required.  You can calculate frequencies and insert/create TV as well as other device frequencies within WSM just as you can in WWB.  I have not opened a copy of SIFM in years.

This is my experience as well (although I prefer WWB's calculator to WSM's). To the OP, what features are you looking for in SIFM that WSM doesn't have?

-Russ

frank kayser

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 03:42:02 PM »

Would Wireless Work Bench not do what you need? It's available for both OS

The Imperial/Metric example is a good one !
 Bootcamp Windows on a Mac or pick up a cheap and cheerful used PC (they are cheap)

Andrew, I apologize if I came across as a MAC fan-boy whining.  I was hoping that through my version of humor, (such that it is...) I was hoping to avoid the discussion altogether. It appears that just the opposite occurred.  Mea Culpa.

To restate my desire, I wish to know if there are any programs that do what SIFM does but also runs on a MAC platform besides WSM, and Wireless Workbench.  I'm shopping around, looking for best practices. 

I only mentioned the other Windows software to try to show I did some research on my own before coming to the braintrust with what may actually be a trivial question. 

Lee, as I'm new in this arena, things I've researched seem to point to SIFM as a valuable tool.  As I have not delved into any software package, it is good to hear WSM has done the job alone for you for years.  I'm trying to do what evaluation I can without learning multiple software packages.  If I can do that without a new computer and OS, all the better. 

I'm seeing this foray into this very complex world of RF management as limited only to the point I can continue on with my job - Primarily as mix-person and sound support for a band that is transitioning to an all wireless setup.  I also know a rabbit hole when I see one. Beyond making that work reliably, RF is not a real interest.  A job I'd like to do well.  Did I mention I aspire to be a PSW Lounge Level player. 

As Andrew clearly pointed out, computers and software are just tools.  I'm looking to minimize my inventory of both.  That said, Lee makes another good point - if I do end up needing software for a Windows platform, I would rather them side-by-side rather than a VM/Bootcamp solution.  Also to that point, with all the Senn gear, WSM is nearly a must have.  Is SIFM necessary?  Maybe not.  Is Shure's Wireless Workbench the best, most appropriate tool to pair with WSM?  That's what I'm trying to determine.

I do know by centering on only one platform, I am cutting out many opportunities.  I'm trying to determine whether those additional opportunities are worth the time and expense of a separate computer and OS. 

Kieth does make a good parallel of metric vs imperial - less of an issue these days, what with the design of new tools, but the point is taken.  Right now, I drive and repair Japanese and European cars.  The Question is whether I need a Chevy or Ford, and the tools necessary to work on them.  Maybe get an old Triumph Bonneville and a set of British Standard tools.

I've spent the last eight years transitioning from many years as a Windows/MS-Dos/CP-M guy, and learning to live within, from my perspective, the many limitations of the MAC platform i.e., third party software.  With care and research, I've survived thus far.  I still troubleshoot Windows computers around the neighborhood, so it is not a skill level thing.  It's not that I prefer MAC, I just don't want to own yet another computer that'll be obsolete and depreciate if I can help it.

And Keith, you're spot on about the used market. I've not had a "new" computer since I got a Powerbook for use with Photoshop 4.  Used is my modus operandi.  It's the only way I could (would) afford a Macbook Pro.  Maybe a "new" PC is the answer.

Mac, It is not that I'm dead set against the whole VM/Parallels/Bootcamp thing, rather it is a big unknown for me, and something I have not needed to delve into as of yet. Granted, it would solve the obsolesce issue, and the weight of a second laptop. Some of my other projects are forcing me into the Linux world.  Maybe not a good attitude, but I just see Windows emulation as something that takes time I'd rather spend on learning something that is more directly sound related rather than tinkering with OS issues.  As mentioned, computers are tools.  Over the years, I've grown tired of dealing with OS issues, be it Windows, LINUX, or MAC.  I just want to solve my current problems.

Russel -   As I understand it, SIFM is a tool that will dig deep into the IM world and produce multiple system proposals based on some parameters input into the program.  I've seen it demonstrated and it looks like it would fit the bill.  As it was used in conjunction with WSM, I ass-u-me-d it provided tools and data that WSM would not.  I cannot really address what SIFM does that WSM does not, but Sennheiser supports both programs, leading one to question why.

As far as WWB, I've heard their IM discovery tools are quite good, and runs on OS-X.  I'm trying to determine whether it is the best MAC software to compliment WSM.

Again, many thanks for all the different suggestions and views.

frank

PS Andrew and Keith - are you two related?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:56:23 PM by frank kayser »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »

Mac, It is not that I'm dead set against the whole VM/Parallels/Bootcamp thing, rather it is a big unknown for me, and something I have not needed to delve into as of yet. Granted, it would solve the obsolesce issue, and the weight of a second laptop. Some of my other projects are forcing me into the Linux world.  Maybe not a good attitude, but I just see Windows emulation as something that takes time I'd rather spend on learning something that is more directly sound related rather than tinkering with OS issues.  As mentioned, computers are tools.  Over the years, I've grown tired of dealing with OS issues, be it Windows, LINUX, or MAC.  I just want to solve my current problems.

All the more reason to go with a VM. You only have one platform to support. Install Parallels, install Windows in Parallels, done. Since I always have at least 3 or 4 apps open that I am switching between, switching between apps in different windows is completely natural. Avoid Bootcamp, it requires a reboot to change OS, Parallels and VM Ware you just select the window you want or the program in your dock. You can run Linux in the VM as well, although I have no experience with that.

Mac

frank kayser

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 06:33:01 PM »

All the more reason to go with a VM. You only have one platform to support. Install Parallels, install Windows in Parallels, done. Since I always have at least 3 or 4 apps open that I am switching between, switching between apps in different windows is completely natural. Avoid Bootcamp, it requires a reboot to change OS, Parallels and VM Ware you just select the window you want or the program in your dock. You can run Linux in the VM as well, although I have no experience with that.

Mac
Thanks, Mac. I just left the Parallels page. A very important distinction between the way Parallels works vs Bootcamp - With rebooting to load the different OS, that would be entirely unworkable.  One dead soldier.  RIP Bootcamp.  Step back to move forward?  Life. 
Again, Thanks, Mac.  Parallels/Win 10 under serious consideration. 
frank

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »

Thanks, Mac. I just left the Parallels page. A very important distinction between the way Parallels works vs Bootcamp - With rebooting to load the different OS, that would be entirely unworkable.  One dead soldier.  RIP Bootcamp.  Step back to move forward?  Life. 
Again, Thanks, Mac.  Parallels/Win 10 under serious consideration. 
frank

How much memory do you have on that Macbook?  Whatever it is, max it out.  Virtualization needs lots of RAM to work well.  Virtualization is supported by the processor, it's not an emulation layer.  Memory space, registers, everything. 

It works very well.  Should be no more work than a base install, in reality it usually makes things easier.  Backups is a breeze. 

Linux is especially suited for virtualization.  As a virtualization host (hypervisor) it's unbeatable. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.