ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What DMX cable are you using and where did you get it  (Read 11801 times)

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
What DMX cable are you using and where did you get it
« on: March 31, 2011, 01:02:57 AM »

It's time for me to stop using mic cables for DMX.

Where are you buying your DMX cable?
What cable are you using?
What ends are you using?

Thomas Bishop

Re: What DMX cable are you using and where did you get it
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:20:01 PM »

I use CBI cable, but mainly because I'm a dealer for it.  I always use Neutrik connectors, typically the single X series. (NC3FX, etc).

Matt Melberg

• Performance LED Lighting
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »

I've had good luck with the accu-cable stuff from American DJ, and I am testing out Blizzards MI-TEE cables now, but the jury's still out on those.  I've found that anything but Neutrik ends doesn't hold up to abuse very well.  If I had more time I would just buy some bulk cable and solder on the Neutriks.
Matt

Band Lighting Geek
The Potentials
Performance LED Lighting
Lighting Blog

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:33:43 PM »

I use CBI cable, but mainly because I'm a dealer for it.  I always use Neutrik connectors, typically the single X series. (NC3FX, etc).

The point in a discussion of DMX cable, is exactly what cable are you using? All cable has a part number, that is what is important to make sure you have 110Ω balanced cable, not mic cable.

Mac

Ray Cerwinski

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »

I've been working Chauvet's offerings into inventory and have been pretty satisfied with the results. I do like that they ship color coded to length and 3 vs 5 pin varieties. The cable is durable but soft and the ends haven't failed me yet. Definitely a good bang for the buck if it's just you using the cable. For rentals or heavy use, I'd look elsewhere.

*note: I am an Iluminarc dealer, a sister company to Chauvet.
Ray Cerwinski

John Strzalkowski

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 04:16:39 PM »

I use gepco DLC224 bulk cable with neutrik ends from the 'X' series as well. I bought the gepco cable because it was local and no need to ship. In the end, the cost for cable and parts alone was more than pre-fab MI-TEE or ADJ equivalent.

The gepco cable is pretty stiff because of the braided shield, however I have yet to have a bad cable for whatever reason, and the flexibility of it has never been an issue. Neutrik ends are a must.

I work for a rental company that used to use MI-TEE DMX cable. The quality was atrocious... I found that every week there were at least 3 bad cables somewhere, and spent the majority of my time with them trying to fix the cables. The ends would 'break' (solder joints) within the connector, and leave the cable to look like it was brand new. After a long discussion with the owner, we switched over to Conquest cable. Only reason we chose conquest was for dealership reasons, and they shrink tubed our logo on the ends and color coded them pre-fab, which was nice but expensive.

If you want the cables YOUR way, definitely make them. If you are looking for a bargain deal and do not want to spend heavy time making your own, buy pre-fab. Some pre-fab's have warranties too, which is a plus.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 12:28:51 AM »

What ends are you using?
We use Delco 390085 for our three-pin DMX.  It's purple, so you'll never mistake it for mic line.  It has a stiffer feel to it than many others, which you may or may not like.  Similar feel to Canare L-4E6S.  Braided shield.  I forget what we use for the five-pin, but it's green.  Neutrik ends.

Neil Juneja

• Muvment Lighting
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:27:38 PM »

I use VRL which makes some fine cables (every connection inside is shrink wrapped).  Always been flawless.  I have a friend with a wholesale account if you're interested.

Chad Costanzo

• Temecula, CA (San Diego, Riverside Area)
    • Pyxis Industries, Inc
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »

I use and SELL the ACCU CABLE. 

I have been very happy with this for my usage and on installations.  The price is excellent as well. 
Chad Costanzo
Pyxis Industries, inc
www.PyxisIndustries.com
888-PYXISAV
Murrieta, CA

Full Service Audio, Lighting, Rigging, & Video Production Services

Dealer: EV, KT, Elation, Shure, AT, Da-Lite, Furman, Tascam, Midas, Road Ready, American DJ, Global Truss, CBI, Furman, Roland RSS, and More

Donnie Evans

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:18:44 AM »

I bought some of the blue 110ohm cable from audiopile and neutrik ends and "rolled my own."  For one reason, i had to make several short jumpers to run between led par cans on a t-bar.  Plus i like the fact that they are blue and easily distinguishable from my mic cables.

Kevin Esprella

• No Regret Productions
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 09:32:58 AM »

On a similar note what lengths do you guys use? Also what do you find using more 3ft, 5ft, 10ft, 15ft....?

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 01:23:17 AM »

What ends are you using?

I love Clark & Wire DMX pro cable. Very good quality, wraps great and isnt a bad price ($.44). I also like Neutrik ends. I do all my mic cables with black xlr connectors, and all my DMX with silver.

Thanks

Donnie Evans

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 08:40:08 AM »

On a similar note what lengths do you guys use? Also what do you find using more 3ft, 5ft, 10ft, 15ft....?

All of mine are custom becuase my setup never changes.  Handful of 1.5' jumpers between fixtures on T-bars, 5' lengths to go between tbars on truss, one 25' and one 50' (to go between stagebox and first fixture).   And yes, i run DMX through my snake, control lights from FOH and have no problems. 

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »

I have 6' (yellow heat shrink), 10' (white), 20' (green), 30' (blue), and 50' (red).  I need to order more cabling and may make a couple of 100's but I find 50' the longest I ever need.  If I need more than 50' the male conveniently plugs right into the female.  Same goes for XLR connectors.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 11:26:14 PM »

We keep ours to the same lengths as our Socapex cable...multiples of 8.  8', 16', 32', 48', 72', 96'.  Which is, of course, the same length as a standard piece of truss.  The intention being, should we ever have to pre-build a truss structure, we can break it at the truss joint.  Or, easily array a truss length with socapex and DMX.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 11:26:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.