ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Now who would this be.  (Read 6469 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Now who would this be.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 11:48:50 AM »

I know we are not supposed to be smitten with talent but Ray just has it all going on.

My wife was with me and had never heard them before,  she enjoyed the show and that made it an even better evening.
I helped out at anew years show with the Tubes playing.
When he comes out as Quay Lewd, with those 12" tall boots, they had to bring a special mic stand made from two stuck together.   :o
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 02:06:46 PM »

Hmm they are in my neck of the woods on 4/20, may have to stop in and see them..

April 20, Rochester, NH, Rochester Opera House

Do you like Texas Swing Mike?  Merle Haggard, Lyle Lovett, Delbert McClinton all rolled into one?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 03:11:00 PM »

Do you like Texas Swing Mike?  Merle Haggard, Lyle Lovett, Delbert McClinton all rolled into one?

Ray is also a true musicologist and walking history reference for all things Western, Swing, and Americana.  Anyone who gets a chance to have a music conversation with him will do well to take notes while sipping from the firehose...

Remarkable fellow, Ray is, and the whole is better than the sum of its parts...

Delbert?  Anyone who hasn't heard the king of swam-stomp needs to find the Austin City Limits show from 2 decades ago and see what a true talent McClinton was.  He wants the FM radio baritone announcer voicing for his wedges - at AC/DC SPLs - and the amount of HF needed in the FOH mix to compensate is blistering.  Great songs, well sung.  It's a shame that what he 'needs' to perform sabotages his show.  IF he's gone to IEMs (doubtful) then the above will no longer apply...

Musically, Lyle Lovett is closer to Ray Benson than anyone on the list.  Never had a disappointing time at a Lyle Lovett gig.  Great arranging, classy presentations.  "I've Been To Memphis" is one of my system tuning songs.

Merle?  Rightly or wrongly, they don't make 'em like Merle anymore.  Master songcrafter and performer, especially later in his career.  His delivery seemed to take on greater meaning and magnitude as he aged - there's something extra that comes from a singer/songwriter maturing*

* Edit PS. Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" is a prime example.  What he drew up out of himself to cover Reznor's song can only come from a deep well.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:14:50 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 04:57:27 PM »

Ray is also a true musicologist and walking history reference for all things Western, Swing, and Americana.  Anyone who gets a chance to have a music conversation with him will do well to take notes while sipping from the firehose...

Remarkable fellow, Ray is, and the whole is better than the sum of its parts...

Delbert?  Anyone who hasn't heard the king of swam-stomp needs to find the Austin City Limits show from 2 decades ago and see what a true talent McClinton was.  He wants the FM radio baritone announcer voicing for his wedges - at AC/DC SPLs - and the amount of HF needed in the FOH mix to compensate is blistering.  Great songs, well sung.  It's a shame that what he 'needs' to perform sabotages his show.  IF he's gone to IEMs (doubtful) then the above will no longer apply...

Musically, Lyle Lovett is closer to Ray Benson than anyone on the list.  Never had a disappointing time at a Lyle Lovett gig.  Great arranging, classy presentations.  "I've Been To Memphis" is one of my system tuning songs.

Merle?  Rightly or wrongly, they don't make 'em like Merle anymore.  Master songcrafter and performer, especially later in his career.  His delivery seemed to take on greater meaning and magnitude as he aged - there's something extra that comes from a singer/songwriter maturing*

* Edit PS. Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" is a prime example.  What he drew up out of himself to cover Reznor's song can only come from a deep well.

My chat time with Ray was short and I was a bit tongue tied (I know hard to imagine for those that know me).  Of all things we talked about Rhiannon Giddens, a product of Oberlin University Conservatory.  The University is close to where I live and hence sparked off the conversation.

Rhiannon is a remarkable talent, and it was fascinating to me how much Ray knew about her.  She also has been on ACL so perhaps that is part of the connection.

I had to go back and revisit Cash's version of Hurt.  Then I listened to Bobby Bare 500 miles to cheer me up. 

Edit - Correncted Rhiannon's last name

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:09:35 PM by Scott Holtzman »

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 05:03:10 PM »

My chat time with Ray was short and I was a bit tongue tied (I know hard to imagine for those that know me).  Of all things we talked about Rhiannon Gibbons, a product of Oberlin University Conservatory.  The University is close to where I live and hence sparked off the conversation.

Rhiannon is a remarkable talent, and it was fascinating to me how much Ray knew about her.  She also has been on ACL so perhaps that is part of the connection.

I had to go back and revisit Cash's version of Hurt.  Then I listened to Bobby Bare 500 miles to cheer me up.

The first exposure I had to Rhiannon Gibbons was The New Basement Tapes, a cool project.

Mac

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 08:22:06 PM »

Hey Scott. When you fly how much left trim do you use?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 08:27:18 PM »

Hey Scott. When you fly how much left trim do you use?

Left trim?  It's a single torque pulls you to the left, trim is usually biased right.

Anyway, the answer is enough to make the plane fly straight.

Oh wait, that was a shot on my size.  I am immune. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 01:16:24 AM »

Left trim?  It's a single torque pulls you to the left, trim is usually biased right.

Anyway, the answer is enough to make the plane fly straight.

Oh wait, that was a shot on my size.  I am immune.
Funny, when I first saw the OP, I thought- hmm Ray is kneeling next to Scott, then when this came up, all I could think of was "Straighten up and Fly Right"...

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 01:46:58 AM »

Funny, when I first saw the OP, I thought- hmm Ray is kneeling next to Scott, then when this came up, all I could think of was "Straighten up and Fly Right"...

Funny Art.  Nah we are both standing up.  I am 6'3" Ray has a good 3" on me.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 05:34:38 AM »

I like all music, and it drives my girl friend crazy... I have a pretty diverse musical background, started with singing in Carmen in the Miami Dade Opera as a kid, playing Jesus folk music, then supporting myself with rock, I like bluegrass to swing to Zappa to the Dreggs to anything, some of the old school hip-hop cracks me up - its all about the song writing, then the performance....

(I think the only tunes I dont like are the new country tunes... I may if they didn't call it country)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 05:34:38 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 22 queries.