Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Sound reflective stage textiles

(1/4) > >>

Timmy Liland:
I am working in a venue with a reverb time of 1.1sec.
This is a multi purpose room for cinema, rock/classical concerts and whatever cultural event that shows up.
Over the stage I have 9 acoustic tiles that can be lowered and tilted.
There are also 4 roll-up curtains on each wall along the amfi with improves the reverb time a little.

When we have classical concerts (grand piano, string groups) there the performers would like to have all the stage curtains removed.
I removed all except the front curtain, which was impossible to remove without a lift. The result was an ugly looking anthracite grey stage and happy orchestra.

Will sound reflective stage textiles be a solution?
I have so far found these:
https://www.gerriets.com/en/products/acoustics/sound-reflective-textiles/clivia-echo-room-acoustics

Are there other solutions to this problem?

lindsay Dean:
Along the side walls you probably would want diffusion and not reflection

Timmy Liland:

--- Quote from: lindsay Dean on February 07, 2018, 03:00:28 PM ---Along the side walls you probably would want diffusion and not reflection

--- End quote ---

Do you mean on the stage?

The side walls along the amfi can not be touched, this treatment is completed. There has been an acoustic consultant involved before the building started.

The present reverb time is the best compromise, but sometimes the compromise isnīt good enough.

The musicians feel that the stage is too dead so sometimes some of the orchestra are sitting in front of the stage, around 1,5m from the first row.

I wold also like to hide the side walls on stage, thats why I thought reflective legs and reflective back curtains could be a good idea.

Keith Broughton:
Having not seen or worked with the reflective material you describe, I can't comment on how it would perform.
The acoustic tiles over the stage, are they designed to absorb sound?
I many halls I have seen deflectors over the orchestra to reflect sound back down to the different sections to give the players a more balanced sound.

Tim Weaver:
It's easier to mic the orchestra and feed that to a reverb unit that is used to dial in any amount of "liveness" you want.

I used to do this all the time in a dead room.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version