ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Laminair V3 latency compared to V2??  (Read 6454 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Laminair V3 latency compared to V2??
« on: February 07, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »

I have been using Luminair V2 on my iPad mini since 2014. A couple of months after I downloaded and paid $100, Synthe launched V3 at full price - no incentives for current users. I was a bit miffed and didn't want to pay $100 again so I kept using V2.
I downloaded Luminair on my other iPad and hubby's too for back up.
At some point - not sure when - we both must have upgraded the IOS platforms on the 2 iPads which meant that Luminair V2 no longer worked on those. Fortunately I never upgraded my iPad mini so V2 worked great. I found I had basic use with my other iPad - just no programming ability. This was enough as back up.
However, I wanted to upgrade and get all the iPads on the same software so I bit the bullet after 3 1/2 years and installed V3 last week with a one weekend off before the next show (which is now on friday).

I have come across some problems...

On V2 there was a bug that never got fixed - even though I contacted Synthe a number of times on this. The master fader did not work on the sequencing page unless I chose the programming/scene page, used the fader and then switched back to sequencing. It was my work around that I always used.
On V3 the same bug exists!... I figured by now they would have fixed it.
I wrote to synthe last week about 3 particular issues I have found but so far no one has gotten back to me.

1) Master fader still not fixed as mentioned above.
2) Unable to access a scene within a sequence to respond right away unless I use preview of the sequence first. This never happened on V2.
3) My biggest issue is that there is latency on every selection I make. I have been going back and forth from V2 to V3 and there is a noticeable difference. I am not even sure I can use this program the way it is.

I've checked all the settings but there are some I am not sure of and in the V3 settings, they are different to V2 so I can't compare apples to apples on everything.

I looked into Vibrio a few months ago and was tempted to switch - I quite liked it. However, I am so familiar with Luminair and knew I could retain all my programs from V2 which would save me a lot of time - especially as I am slow on Vibrio - very slow.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should have put the time into making the switch to Vibrio.
Has anyone else used both Luminair V2 and V3 and found latency on V3?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

Re: Laminair V3 latency compared to V2??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 02:44:53 PM »

I have been using Luminair V2 on my iPad mini since 2014. A couple of months after I downloaded and paid $100, Synthe launched V3 at full price - no incentives for current users. I was a bit miffed and didn't want to pay $100 again so I kept using V2.
I downloaded Luminair on my other iPad and hubby's too for back up.
At some point - not sure when - we both must have upgraded the IOS platforms on the 2 iPads which meant that Luminair V2 no longer worked on those. Fortunately I never upgraded my iPad mini so V2 worked great. I found I had basic use with my other iPad - just no programming ability. This was enough as back up.
However, I wanted to upgrade and get all the iPads on the same software so I bit the bullet after 3 1/2 years and installed V3 last week with a one weekend off before the next show (which is now on friday).

I have come across some problems...

On V2 there was a bug that never got fixed - even though I contacted Synthe a number of times on this. The master fader did not work on the sequencing page unless I chose the programming/scene page, used the fader and then switched back to sequencing. It was my work around that I always used.
On V3 the same bug exists!... I figured by now they would have fixed it.
I wrote to synthe last week about 3 particular issues I have found but so far no one has gotten back to me.

1) Master fader still not fixed as mentioned above.
2) Unable to access a scene within a sequence to respond right away unless I use preview of the sequence first. This never happened on V2.
3) My biggest issue is that there is latency on every selection I make. I have been going back and forth from V2 to V3 and there is a noticeable difference. I am not even sure I can use this program the way it is.

I've checked all the settings but there are some I am not sure of and in the V3 settings, they are different to V2 so I can't compare apples to apples on everything.

I looked into Vibrio a few months ago and was tempted to switch - I quite liked it. However, I am so familiar with Luminair and knew I could retain all my programs from V2 which would save me a lot of time - especially as I am slow on Vibrio - very slow.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should have put the time into making the switch to Vibrio.
Has anyone else used both Luminair V2 and V3 and found latency on V3?

V3 was my intro to Luminair, but I have not noticed any latency yet. My problem is I still don't know the program, and every time I pick it up it takes me 1/2 hour to even be able to edit a fixture. I have yet to create a scene, I have a long way to go before I can run a light show with it. My trusty Magic 260 just works, and is quick & easy to program. Sorry, but I'm probably not much help. I still plan on working with it when I find time.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 05:18:48 PM »

I never used V2 but have had V3 a couple years now. Don't really notice any lag, but I did have an issue when I upgraded to a newer ipad last month. Ryan is a little slower to respond to tech issues these days than he used to be, that's for sure.
I still use Bluelite for most stuff. It works ok but it's a little long in the tooth now.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 05:30:56 PM »

Thanks guys...I don't suppose I would have noticed any lag - or maybe I would have accepted it as par for the wi-fi/artnet course if I had never used v2 but it is definitely there. Yesterday I went back and forth from V2 to V3 - same set up, same WAP, same EVERYTHING  - just the software version. Now it is frustrating the heck out of me.
I am pretty good with Luminair and can program pretty much anything I need. I even wrote a program for my moving heads on V3 - the software wasn't available on V2 so that is fun.... but I really cannot afford to have a delay on this.
Live I have to mix, sing and run a light show so I don't need any slow downs. I accept the odd wi fi problem once in a while but this really will affect my show in a  bad way.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 10:15:05 PM »

What do you mean by lag? Lag on what? ...from the time you hit a scene button until it responds?

If so, there seems to be a default Fade Time, (I think 1 second,) on every scene which affects how quickly the scene changes. You can change it to 0.0s manually in the scene properties, but it reappears when creating any new scenes.

Otherwise, I found that I had lag when switching back and forth from my mixer app to Luminair. (But then, there are 8 devices on my network during every show.) I solved that problem by upgrading to a faster wifi router...from 802.11n to 802.11ac.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 10:23:41 PM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 11:13:29 PM »

What do you mean by lag? Lag on what? ...from the time you hit a scene button until it responds?

If so, there seems to be a default Fade Time, (I think 1 second,) on every scene which affects how quickly the scene changes. You can change it to 0.0s manually in the scene properties, but it reappears when creating any new scenes.

Otherwise, I found that I had lag when switching back and forth from my mixer app to Luminair. (But then, there are 8 devices on my network during every show.) I solved that problem by upgrading to a faster wifi router...from 802.11n to 802.11ac.

Yes the lag is from the time I hit a button to when the light responds. I have never had the default time activated on either version of Luminair - I override it and it was the first thing I thought of when I noticed this happening.
So even with this set at zero, I still get a latency that I do not get on V2 using exactly the same set up.
When I hit a button on V2, the response time is really fast - virtually immediate - and always has been. I did get the rare occasion early on when I first started using wireless control where if I have moved too far from the router, I'd get a bad lag but it was a good few seconds or so and was corrected by moving closer. Since I have been using 5ghz and raised up the router,  I have had zero issues with V2.
So it has to be something to do with either the software - which seems weird that no -one else seems to notice - or I have a weird setting somewhere that I cannot trace.

I use separate iPads at shows for lights and sound through the same router.
Checking into this at home, I have only been using the iPads for lights - no sound.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 01:16:33 AM »

Past my bedtime ( when not out working) ready to go to bed and just been working offline on my iPad on my scenes - tidying them up - customizing a few things and something occurred to me.
It might be the iPad I have been using that is causing the lag. Even though I have been switching back and forth from v2 to v3 noticing the latency, I have had to do it on different iPads. The reason for this is that the Synthe folks recommend you don't have both versions in the same device - they mess each other up so until I have this right, I made sure to have the different versions on separate iPads.
So I only downloaded V3 into my spare iPad keeping v2 on the mini as I always have done.
So that is one more variable that I hadn't considered.
My mini is newer than my iPad by a year and might have a better processor in it.... maybe it could make the difference? I'll set up a tree again tomorrow and check...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 09:39:30 AM »

So I just spent a little while on this again using my fastest iPad (the one i use for sound) and I think this might be at least part of - if not the whole - problem. I also tried my iPhone and I am getting very slightly different results regarding response times each time I use a different device.

I have never noticed the difference running sound on different devices but with the lights, there is a need for instant response and any lag is much more noticeable so it makes the device used more important.

I would be splitting hairs if I were to compare the 2 versions using the equivalent device at this point so I'm going to try V3 out this weekend and see how it goes.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 10:46:27 AM »

No-one from Luminair has bothered to respond to my concerns - I sent 4 emails. ..... So I suppose they don't care once they have their money.
I have a workaround for the 3 issues I found - the lag solution simply being the device I use. It doesn't seem to cause a problem on V2 but it does on V3.
I'll continue to use the same work arounds for the other 2 bugs as I did in V2. Disappointed.

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 12:12:23 AM »

Debbie I used V2 and switched to V3 a couple of years ago.  At the time I did not notice any "lag" problems.  But there are a lot of variables here.  I was, and still do use an iPad 2 and iPad 3 for these programs.  Sometimes with mix32 running and sometimes not.  So I might have been slow all along!

A lot of functionality has been added in V3 and you have to expect some program bloat along with that.  The EFX functions, if you start using those, add a lot of processor overhead.  I  typically have about 60 scenes in a project, almost always use sequences to run them, use a fair amount of efx.  With all that on those old beater iPads I don't feel I have excessive lag.  When I don't get instant response it is usually due to poor "touch" technique on my part. 

Updating IOS actually seemed to slow down my devices more than V3.  I do what I can to limit what the devices are doing.  For example they stay   in airplane mode, not connected to any internet, all notifications, location services, auto updates, etc. turned off.  Anything I can turn off or disable, I do.

I suppose your projects have not really changed between version so that would not cause the lag.  You are comparing apples to apples.  But if there was also an operating system update, that might be a factor. 

--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 12:12:23 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.