ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reliability of inexpensive mini movers?  (Read 3029 times)

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
Reliability of inexpensive mini movers?
« on: February 06, 2018, 02:30:26 PM »

I've steered clear of unbranded lighting for the most part.  I'm afraid of failures and reliability issues.

A large club in the area recently installed a bunch of THESE mini movers. I was surprised at how well they worked, but I question how long they will last.

Does anyone have any long term experience with lights like these.  At around $45/ea it's very tempting.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Reliability of inexpensive mini movers?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 02:34:56 PM »

I've steered clear of unbranded lighting for the most part.  I'm afraid of failures and reliability issues.

A large club in the area recently installed a bunch of THESE mini movers. I was surprised at how well they worked, but I question how long they will last.

Does anyone have any long term experience with lights like these.  At around $45/ea it's very tempting.

Just like every other China-bay light. Some will last for years and have no problems. Some will last for days if you're lucky. Figure an over 50% failure rate....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Nate Zifra

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 03:32:50 PM »

I've had similar ones for about a year and a half, maybe a little longer.  Still working.  Had one that wouldn't power up at one point, turned out to be a loose solder joint, easy fix.  I've had good ROI. 

Lyle Williams

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 07:33:49 AM »

You may get DMX channel variations batch to batch too.

You can certainly get some looks with 20 cheap movers you can't do with one expensive light the same price.

Steve Garris

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »

I've used some of those  for a couple of years now with no problems. They are actually brighter than my $34 chinese RBGW pars, and they work just fine. For movement I simply use the "auto" programs. I consider these $42 lights disposable, but so far not a problem. I use them for about 25 shows/year.

A neat trick with these is to make a scene, set them to point somewhere, then on the next scenes have them point to a different location. This way, when making scene changes the lights all move, then stop. It looks great.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.