ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amplifiers setup with Martin Audio speakers  (Read 9603 times)

Jasper Coolen

• Podiumverhuur Haaglanden
Re: Amplifiers setup with Martin Audio speakers
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 06:33:51 AM »

Agreed, go with a pair of I-Tech 6000's for subs.  1 driver per channel if possible.

Lee
Could 1 channel from a I tech controll 1 WS218x? Or do I need 2?

A second hand Itech is about the same price as a new XTI6000 (here in The Netherlands)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:52:06 AM by Jasper Coolen »

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 08:26:37 AM »

Could 1 channel from a I tech controll 1 WS218x? Or do I need 2?

A second hand Itech is about the same price as a new XTI6000 (here in The Netherlands)

If you are just getting a single amplifier then certainly, a single channel at 4 ohms nominal can drive a WS218X well. 
For longer cable lengths (you mentioned 10 meters) the amp can provide better control of the driver with an 8 ohm rather than a 4 ohm load and it will also have less power loss in the cable.  That is why I was recommending a single amp channel per driver (that is also why Martin Audio wired the WS218X in a way that allowed 2 pair of the NL8 cable to drive each speaker driver).  For your setup I think the difference between 4 ohm and 8 ohm would be minimal.
The bigger factor would be having some built in redundancy.  You could always drive both subs of one amp in a pinch. 

Would having 2 sub amps give you enough amps to have 2 amp racks, one for each side of the stage?
This would let you have 2 short cable runs instead of one long and one short. 
That would improve the amplifier control and reduce loss through the cables.  It also could be setup to make everything redundant.

Mostly just thinking out loud here.  You know what your needs are for return on investment, size of your show pack, etc.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Jasper Coolen

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 09:54:04 AM »

If you are just getting a single amplifier then certainly, a single channel at 4 ohms nominal can drive a WS218X well. 
For longer cable lengths (you mentioned 10 meters) the amp can provide better control of the driver with an 8 ohm rather than a 4 ohm load and it will also have less power loss in the cable.  That is why I was recommending a single amp channel per driver (that is also why Martin Audio wired the WS218X in a way that allowed 2 pair of the NL8 cable to drive each speaker driver).  For your setup I think the difference between 4 ohm and 8 ohm would be minimal.
The bigger factor would be having some built in redundancy.  You could always drive both subs of one amp in a pinch. 

Would having 2 sub amps give you enough amps to have 2 amp racks, one for each side of the stage?
This would let you have 2 short cable runs instead of one long and one short. 
That would improve the amplifier control and reduce loss through the cables.  It also could be setup to make everything redundant.

Mostly just thinking out loud here.  You know what your needs are for return on investment, size of your show pack, etc.

Lee

Yes my plan was to make 2 ampracks. So i can use both sets seperatly for small stages and together for bigger stages.

My plan now is to build 2 of these ampracks:

4002 for top/mid (h3)
6002 for base (h3)
Itech 6000 for sub (ws218) on 4 ohms? (or would a Itech4000 be enough (2 x 2000watt @ 4ohm))

Then all I have to buy is 2 Itech 6000
Is there a difference between de silver and black ones?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 10:12:54 AM »

I've never seen the black trim before and suspect (based on my admittedly limited USA perspective) that there were powder-coated by the purchaser, not a factory finish.  No indication they are different otherwise?

That said, be aware that the original I-Tech amps contain parts that are no longer made and servicing failed amps is getting expensive, at least here in the US.  Before you commit to any purchase I'd suggest renting XTi6002 and try them out to see what you think.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jasper Coolen

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 11:38:10 AM »

I've never seen the black trim before and suspect (based on my admittedly limited USA perspective) that there were powder-coated by the purchaser, not a factory finish.  No indication they are different otherwise?

That said, be aware that the original I-Tech amps contain parts that are no longer made and servicing failed amps is getting expensive, at least here in the US.  Before you commit to any purchase I'd suggest renting XTi6002 and try them out to see what you think.
Wauw that is good advise!
I think Crown is made in the USA, so if the parts are no longer made and the service is expensive, I better choose another amp.
I already have 2 XTI6002, and the only thing tthat is always failing are the LED on the front, to show the level. Furter the amps are ok. But I am not a sound engineer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 11:38:10 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.