ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to rant....  (Read 4847 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Need to rant....
« on: February 03, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »

I friggin hate how apple/iOS need to lock down file sharing so much!!!!

I get everything else being locked down that's their model... But I wanna mount the iPhone as a drive and copy the photos off.

I spent ~3hrs trying to get photos off of an iPhone for a funeral today.

Apparently when iCloud is enabled you can't directly transfer to a new computer. The MacBook was having hdd issues/corrupt so I couldn't get the photos directly.

Also, why on Earth does iTunes name the iPhone the username of windows user account when it is newly associated??

I came INSANELY prepared, every dongle, cable, USB, etc you can think of. It wasn't enough.

Grrrr..... A 2hr quick gig became a 6hr grueling endeavor with a race against the clock and waiting for things to 'sync' via slow internet.

In the clients defense they did try beforehand to get the photos, even went to Best buy for help the day before.

Oh well.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Need to rant....
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 06:28:16 PM »

Client is ridiculously happy though (under the circumstances)

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 06:29:34 PM »

Have you tried to just airdrop your files to your computer?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:35:48 PM »

Airdrop to win10?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 07:20:47 PM »

I'll gladly take a solution that helps me out in the future. I'll admit I was out of my depth, I had an iPhone during the ios5/6 days so I've been out of touch with the latest and greatest, but I didn't realize it had changed so much.

Though, I won't say I was so far removed from finding a solution, I'm not inept. Just no clear way to transfer the files so I could play them on a projector.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 08:24:36 PM »

I get everything else being locked down that's their model... But I wanna mount the iPhone as a drive and copy the photos off.

I spent ~3hrs trying to get photos off of an iPhone for a funeral today.

Apparently when iCloud is enabled you can't directly transfer to a new computer. The MacBook was having hdd issues/corrupt so I couldn't get the photos directly.

Also, why on Earth does iTunes name the iPhone the username of windows user account when it is newly associated??

I came INSANELY prepared, every dongle, cable, USB, etc you can think of. It wasn't enough.

Grrrr..... A 2hr quick gig became a 6hr grueling endeavor with a race against the clock and waiting for things to 'sync' via slow internet.

In the clients defense they did try beforehand to get the photos, even went to Best buy for help the day before.

Oh well.

I just use the Photo transfer app.  It lets you send to anything that can run a web browser on the local network that the phone's on. (mac/win/linux, desktop/laptop/tablet)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-transfer-app-bitwise/id365152940?mt=8

It is free and quick to install if it's someone else's phone.
They have a client for the computer you are transferring to, which helps if it's something yo do regularly, but they always give you option to just use a browser
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 01:38:20 AM »

<snip>

I use Dropbox to move photos and documents to/from iDevices and my Mac, Windows, and Android platforms.  Slick as a whistle.  There may be better solutions, but I'm perfectly happy with Dropbox.

frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 01:59:11 AM »

We Transfer allows up to 2 gb free of charge and more for a fee. I have used the service many times- I like it.
https://wetransfer.com
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 09:49:54 AM »

Dropbox works very well for this.

Todd Friemuth

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 12:13:59 PM »

I just dealt with this last week trying to free up some space on my phone. I was able to, in iTunes, select Edit/Preferences/Devices and checked the "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" box. I then closed iTunes, went to "My Computer", and my phone showed up essentially as an external storage device. I was able to navigate the file folders and locate the folder containing all my photos and videos from my phone. I just copied the folder over to my hard drive and deleted the photos from my phone.

Now having tried to explain all that the best I could, I need to disclose that I'm still using a dinosaur iPhone 4s. Momma and I have 3 kids at 2 different Big10 schools so I'm at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to getting anything shiny and new.

This work flow worked for me using iPhone 4s, Windows 7, and the most recent version of iTunes. No idea if a newer phone doesn't allow this file access.

Todd.

Brian Ingwell

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 09:42:40 PM »

Try syncios.com

I use this all the time to sync pictures and videos between my iphone and Windows laptop.

Works great and it’s free.

Brian

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 03:05:32 PM »

Well how about that. Some products that alleviate the built-in issues!

Regrettably, googling the issue didn't help in the moment.

Wish I had known about wetransfer.com or syncios.com or photo transfer app (bitwise).

The solution was part dropbox and part icloud. I had to recover the account on both software because the pw was lost. Then install on the computer and wait for the phone to upload & then download to the computer.

btw, I love dropbox. but it crashed on the iPhone 6 regularly so I had to constantly restart it and the ~140 photos/videos took forever to upload because of that.

iCloud is also stupid because if you click "download" in the windows app more than once, it downloads twice... and it will download based upon index/date not order of 'clicking' so I had to waited for everything to get downloaded twice :(

My main issue with most of the suggestions is they are all 'network' based, meaning using the cloud (very slow <1MB/s) or via network (somewhat slow 1-5MB/s) compared to a cable @ usb speeds (~10-30MB/s)

photo transfer app wont work with icloud turned on :(
[though Craig, that seems like an app designed to get around that issue]

Thanks for the suggestions all!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 03:05:32 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.