ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Srx815p and Srx818sp settings  (Read 17183 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Srx815p and Srx818sp settings
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »

Thanks for the info Ron,I'm going to pick up a pair of srx818sp or 1 srx828sp soon...when I do I don't think I will need tripods for my srx815ps or the poles...I'm just worried if they fall down with vibration from the subs lol.

Jonathan ... set the subs to 'SRX top' and the tops to 'SRX sub'.
These are the recommended settings from JBL and are designed to work best when using the internal DSP and crossovers for SRX800 systems.  The 60hz, 80hz and 100hz settings are usually chosen when using a non SRX800 series speaker. Of course YMMV.

If not using poles or tripods, make sure to secure the tops in some way - don't rely on them loosely placed on the subs.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2018, 03:11:34 PM »

The SRX Connect App I agree is absolute garbage. The actual Audio Architect software that is loaded on your computer is very, very nice to work with. Once you have the " Venue " set up and saved, making changes and modifying settings is a breeze.

I use them for live sound and DJ type setups as well, but I may have a different approach to things. The one thing I learned years ago was to not play god with sound. Make the PA work for you, not you working for the PA. While I agree that making every song sound good is ideal, it also means you are " playing god " with sound. If you can imagine that a speaker system untouched is as neutral ( unbiased and non discriminate ) as anything can be, if a song played through it sounds bad and the next song doesn't, it isn't the PA, it is the song that sounded that way. This is why we do initial tuning of the PA with songs we are really familiar with. If that song sounds good / right, chances are everything else should also sound good / right.

In the case of tuning out minor inconsistencies in music I agree that can and should be done. I usually set up a shelving filter for the highs that cuts several db off the highs down to around 5khz. I then turn the EQ on or off as needed to utilize the EQ. As for the amount of lows, I always run subs on an aux and will turn up or down the subs aux send to fill out or reduce the very low end as needed. Some songs simply have A LOT of low end content and I may use a low cut shelving filter to reduce the overall bass content if needed. The main goal is to utilize and spend as little time fooling around with the EQ as possible. At some point you just have to except that some songs are better produced than others and trying to fix everything that comes through the PA is an effort in futility.

I agree with Debbie, if you place the speaker on top of the subs without a pole, plan on finding a way to affix it to the subs so it doesn't rattle off. The SRX line works extremely well with itself and utilizing the SRX SUBS and SRX TOPS crossover settings simply work. Have fun!!!
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Jonathan Arce

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2018, 08:05:43 PM »

Jonathan ... set the subs to 'SRX top' and the tops to 'SRX sub'.
These are the recommended settings from JBL and are designed to work best when using the internal DSP and crossovers for SRX800 systems.  The 60hz, 80hz and 100hz settings are usually chosen when using a non SRX800 series speaker. Of course YMMV.

If not using poles or tripods, make sure to secure the tops in some way - don't rely on them loosely placed on the subs.
Thanks for the info Debbie when I get all 4 subs I will use srx top on all the 4 subs....so far I'm loving my 2 srx815s with 2 srx818sp combo I just want that extra bass lol.

For the srx815p when I get the other 2 subs to play it safe I will tie them down with something..

I wanted to get the jbl poles but if ima be running 4 subs I should just put the srx815p on top stacked with 2 subs on bottom.

Jonathan Arce

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2018, 08:12:41 PM »

The SRX Connect App I agree is absolute garbage. The actual Audio Architect software that is loaded on your computer is very, very nice to work with. Once you have the " Venue " set up and saved, making changes and modifying settings is a breeze.

I use them for live sound and DJ type setups as well, but I may have a different approach to things. The one thing I learned years ago was to not play god with sound. Make the PA work for you, not you working for the PA. While I agree that making every song sound good is ideal, it also means you are " playing god " with sound. If you can imagine that a speaker system untouched is as neutral ( unbiased and non discriminate ) as anything can be, if a song played through it sounds bad and the next song doesn't, it isn't the PA, it is the song that sounded that way. This is why we do initial tuning of the PA with songs we are really familiar with. If that song sounds good / right, chances are everything else should also sound good / right.

In the case of tuning out minor inconsistencies in music I agree that can and should be done. I usually set up a shelving filter for the highs that cuts several db off the highs down to around 5khz. I then turn the EQ on or off as needed to utilize the EQ. As for the amount of lows, I always run subs on an aux and will turn up or down the subs aux send to fill out or reduce the very low end as needed. Some songs simply have A LOT of low end content and I may use a low cut shelving filter to reduce the overall bass content if needed. The main goal is to utilize and spend as little time fooling around with the EQ as possible. At some point you just have to except that some songs are better produced than others and trying to fix everything that comes through the PA is an effort in futility.

I agree with Debbie, if you place the speaker on top of the subs without a pole, plan on finding a way to affix it to the subs so it doesn't rattle off. The SRX line works extremely well with itself and utilizing the SRX SUBS and SRX TOPS crossover settings simply work. Have fun!!!
I agree with you like I don't like the app for these speakers too I'm always using the speaker settings much better and simple...

For the speakers I think I will tie them down with something.

I wanted to ask have any of you had any of these speakers died on you like the amp quit?

I had one srx815p failed on me with low volume back in the day just would turn on and off and would make a popping sound and would say protect on the amp...good thing I still had warranty jbl send me a new one...maybe i got a faulty one?

Steve Garris

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2018, 02:54:41 PM »

I agree with you like I don't like the app for these speakers too I'm always using the speaker settings much better and simple...

For the speakers I think I will tie them down with something.

I wanted to ask have any of you had any of these speakers died on you like the amp quit?

I had one srx815p failed on me with low volume back in the day just would turn on and off and would make a popping sound and would say protect on the amp...good thing I still had warranty jbl send me a new one...maybe i got a faulty one?

I received a bad 815 right out of the box. JBL sent me a new one right away. They've been great since then.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2018, 05:01:50 PM »

The answer is yes, it was faulty. JBL replaced it, as they should.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2018, 05:01:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.