ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED RGB, dimable, par 38 lamps for Ballroom  (Read 2846 times)

Frank Czar

• Website
LED RGB, dimable, par 38 lamps for Ballroom
« on: January 29, 2018, 12:53:48 PM »

Hi Guys,

Can someone tell me if I am going in the right direction and if not point me in the right one? I have a client that has a ballroom used for the usual type events, corporate meetings and events, weddings, shows, etc. It has the usual can lights, wall lights and chandeliers. Control is split into 4 as the room can be sectioned off into 4 by the use of airwalls, each type of light is on its own wall mounted dimmer/switch.
The client would like to replace all the Par 38's in the can lights (approx 20 per section) with some type of LED RGB dim-able lamp. I see a bunch on Ebay that come with a remote for color changing and dimming. My question is are you able to dim them through the wall dimmers and would there be a way to change colors with one button instead of having to individually hit every lamp with the remote?
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:17:45 PM by Frank Czar »
Frank Czar
Concert Works
Daytona Beach FL. & US Virgin Islands
www.concertworksvi.com

Steve Garris

Re: LED RGB, dimable, par 38 lamps for Ballroom
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:20:57 PM »

Hi Guys,

Can someone tell me if I am going in the right direction and if not point me in the right one? I have a client that has a ballroom used for the usual type events, corporate meetings and events, weddings, shows, etc. It has the usual can lights, wall lights and chandeliers. Control is split into 4 as the room can be sectioned off into 4 by the use of airwalls, each type of light is on its own wall mounted dimmer/switch.
The client would like to replace all the Par 38's in the can lights (approx 20 per section) with some type of LED RGB dim-able lamp. I see a bunch on Ebay that come with a remote for color changing and dimming. My question is are you able to dim them through the wall dimmers and would there be a way to change colors with one button instead of having to individually hitting every lamp with the remote?
Thanks in advance.

There are some real pro's here that can probably provide better answers, but my gut feeling is you are going to have to replace the dimmers with something designed for DMX. The pars I purchase from ebay cannot be plugged in to an electrical type dimmer. They are capable of dimming via the DMX control, which can be hard wired or done via remote with wireless receivers & transmitters.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:51:52 PM »

There are some real pro's here that can probably provide better answers, but my gut feeling is you are going to have to replace the dimmers with something designed for DMX. The pars I purchase from ebay cannot be plugged in to an electrical type dimmer. They are capable of dimming via the DMX control, which can be hard wired or done via remote with wireless receivers & transmitters.
LED generally isn't a special bulb, it's a completely different fixture. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 10:27:57 PM »

Hi Guys,

The client would like to replace all the Par 38's in the can lights (approx 20 per section) with some type of LED RGB dim-able lamp. I see a bunch on Ebay that come with a remote for color changing and dimming. My question is are you able to dim them through the wall dimmers and would there be a way to change colors with one button instead of having to individually hit every lamp with the remote?
Thanks in advance.
RGB will make this much harder.  Unless you really want to make your room be funny colors, I would abandon that. 

There are dimmable LED Par 38 bulbs that may work to some degree, but dimming performance will likely be poor.  As Caleb said, switching to LED house lights typically requires new fixtures with non-dimmed power and low voltage wiring run to each fixture to send a dimming control signal to the light.

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 01:03:10 AM »

Unless there is something new out there, you cannot use conventional dimmers on the RGB bulbs you are describing. The bulbs contain electronics that cannot be dimmed, not just LED's.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 01:25:47 PM »

LED generally isn't a special bulb, it's a completely different fixture. 

Isn't that what I said?

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 07:07:53 AM »

Isn't that what I said?
Yes, I just wanted to reinforce that entertainment lighting is nothing like going to Home Depot and looking for "dimmable LED bulbs". 

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 07:07:53 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.