Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

Tell me what you see in these phase response graphs

(1/6) > >>

Mike Caldwell:
I've been working with REW software to get an idea of what a couple speakers of mine look like at the high frequency crossover. Pictured are a couple screen shots of the response of a 12X2 and 15X2 bi-amped speaker. These are after playing with the high frequency driver polarity and time delay on the woofer.
For these test the 12X2 crossover is 1700hz and the 15X2 is 1600hz.
Set up outdoors, measurement mic on axis between woofer and horn about 8 foot from the speaker.

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Mike Caldwell on January 26, 2018, 09:37:11 PM ---I've been working with REW software to get an idea of what a couple speakers of mine look like at the high frequency crossover. Pictured are a couple screen shots of the response of a 12X2 and 15X2 bi-amped speaker. These are after playing with the high frequency driver polarity and time delay on the woofer.
For these test the 12X2 crossover is 1700hz and the 15X2 is 1600hz.
Set up outdoors, measurement mic on axis between woofer and horn about 8 foot from the speaker.

--- End quote ---

It's hard to imagine what you're doing to get 16 phase wraps in 1 octave.

A shot of the screen with full bandwidth might be more enlightening.

Mac

Mike Caldwell:
Here's a couple shots of the 12X2 that show more bandwidth. No EQ was active.

I got about the same phase response when measuring a small powered speaker a few days ago.

I'm thinking the couple deep notches are from my less than perfect testing location.

I should have saved some of the shots before and during the measurement process.

Merlijn van Veen:
If this was Smaart I would recommend setting the delay locator which effectively takes out all constant delay caused by latency and / or time of flight.

Mike Caldwell:

--- Quote from: Merlijn van Veen on January 27, 2018, 01:49:39 AM ---If this was Smaart I would recommend setting the delay locator which effectively takes out all constant delay caused by latency and / or time of flight.

--- End quote ---

REW does not have set or find delay like Smaart, it does have loop back delay finder or a use acoustic source to set delay, using both showed the same results.

For what it's worth I'm using a small Allen Heath ZED10 mixer as the IO via it's USB connection.

I was primarily interested in the phase response at the crossover and if I'm looking at it right I think it is at least somewhat "flat" through the crossover point and the area around it.

I really should have taken a screen shot of the before adjustment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version