ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Better" grade of zip ties?  (Read 5061 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: "Better" grade of zip ties?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 02:22:01 PM »

Haven't had issues with the zip ties I've gotten from Fry's Electronics or Home Depot.

But please, for the love of knuckles and fingers, get a proper Panduit gun to pull them tight and clip them.  I hate slicing my hands dealing with things people have cut the tie wraps with side cutters on.  The gun is faster and easier.  Anyone dealing with racks and cable bundles should have one.
And flush cut side cutters.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 03:50:26 PM »

I don't know what your application is, or what zip ties you've been buying, but I find that for general purpose use the Commercial Electric ones from Home Depot are just fine and reasonably priced.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/203531924

But please, for the love of knuckles and fingers, get a proper Panduit gun to pull them tight and clip them.  I hate slicing my hands dealing with things people have cut the tie wraps with side cutters on.  The gun is faster and easier.  Anyone dealing with racks and cable bundles should have one.

^^^This. A carelessly trimmed zip tie can draw blood.

I don't have the Panduit gun, but I've got a pair of Klein "Kurve" #63020 cutters that work fairly well for cutting the ties. To trim the tails, use the tip of the cutter with the anvil against the "latch" of the tie so the blade skims the outer face of the latch, shearing across the width of the tail so it's trimmed flush. That avoids a sharp edge on the tail.

You can also use the shear on the cutter to open a tie by cutting across the latch, avoiding the danger of nicking a cable.

Probably not as good or convenient as the Panduit gun, but a thousand times better than what a pair of sidecutters leaves behind.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 03:48:56 AM »

And flush cut side cutters.
  A properly adjusted Ty-Wrap gun beats "flush cutters" hands down by pulling on the tie at the instant of cutting such that the tie withdraws by a fraction of one of its increments post having been cut.  When the tool is correctly adjusted, the trimmed end is ever so slightly below flush. 
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 11:02:41 AM »

A properly adjusted Ty-Wrap gun beats "flush cutters" hands down by pulling on the tie at the instant of cutting such that the tie withdraws by a fraction of one of its increments post having been cut.  When the tool is correctly adjusted, the trimmed end is ever so slightly below flush. 
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

^^^ Likey ^^^
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 12:24:24 PM »

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
ASSuming you use tie wraps conventional ways....

I use them to basically index a PCB clamp in place. I have to cut off the fat end at an angle so I can feed it through a drilled hole. But don't worry you won't encounter it unless you change batteries in one of my drum tuners and those batteries last a pretty long time (by design).

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 12:24:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.