ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Better" grade of zip ties?  (Read 5080 times)

W. Mark Hellinger

"Better" grade of zip ties?
« on: January 24, 2018, 08:15:16 PM »

I'm looking for suggestions for a "better" grade of (nylon?) zip ties.  Something that somewhere more that 1 in 4 actually function (unlike the cheapies I've been attempting to use), and don't snap in two at temps under... oh... 68 deg. F (unlike the cheapies I've been attempting to use)... and if possible are black in color... and hopefully cost less than a buck apiece (would be nice).

Might be asking a lot... I dunno.

eh?

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: "Better" grade of zip ties?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 08:31:37 PM »

What size?  What tensile strength?  Is the application anything other than bundling wires or holding wires in a given location?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 08:37:26 PM »

I'm partial to T&B. They use a metal catch that allows much finer steps as you tighten.

What sort of length and strength do you need?

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 08:48:51 PM »

I buy a lot from these guys: https://www.advancedcableties.com/.  You can get them through Action Fastners in Spokane.  I use their plenum rated product, almost exclusively, but have also ordered some of their cold weather products on occasion.  I'm sure they would have what you need.
This space for rent

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 10:14:50 PM »

I'm looking for suggestions for a "better" grade of (nylon?) zip ties.  Something that somewhere more that 1 in 4 actually function (unlike the cheapies I've been attempting to use), and don't snap in two at temps under... oh... 68 deg. F (unlike the cheapies I've been attempting to use)... and if possible are black in color... and hopefully cost less than a buck apiece (would be nice).

Might be asking a lot... I dunno.

eh?
I've had really old batches of them that behave like you describe, especially ones that have been left out and exposed to sunlight for a long time (like on the rack inside my windowed electrician's van)
Go to an electrical contractor supply-house, they usually have the good ones in large quantities.
The 1000-bag of Ideal branded ones at Depot/Lowes/Menards are ok as well.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 08:06:32 AM »

I've had pretty good luck with the Ideal white zip ties like Craig mentioned.  For some reason, black ones seem more brittle than white.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 11:41:25 AM »

Thomas & Betts.  The inventor and owner of the Ty-Rap brand and service marks.  The metal ratchet tab and 100% Nylon construction (availability in environment-resistant formulations, too) have made it the most reliable of the zip ties I've used over the last 30 years.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 11:44:56 AM »

What size?  What tensile strength?  Is the application anything other than bundling wires or holding wires in a given location?
Lengths:  Garden variety of generally 4" to 2', with 8" being the most common length used.

Tensile strength:  oh... 50lbs. would generally suffice on the 8" length.

Applications:  Yes, oftentimes bundling wires along with the common spectrum of applications associated with having "quite a few on-hand in my shop as well as a decent bundle in my gig case".  For instance:  Yesterday I zip-tied a temporary 150ft. run of CAT 5 cable to a conduit run in a warehouse... The day before I zip tied/affixed the control plug for the glow-plug module on my Sprinter van cause the clip on the plug broke... which admittedly isn't the best "fix", but like they say about gaff-tape:  "When you can't fix it right, but you still want it fixed."... and the zip-tie fix fixed the symptom (eventually... after many frustrating failed zip-ties while trying to install in a hard to get-to spot... outside in the snow & wind)... for now, till I can source & install a replacement plug.  And a couple days ago I zip-tie closed a couple large bags of crushed aluminum cans for recycling.  Anyhoo:  The failure rate of my current couple batches of cheapie, local hardware store sourced zip-ties is ridiculously high:  approx. 3/4 snap in-two or don't "catch" right out of the package.  I have a stash of old (20 year+) Panduit brand (as I think I recall... the labels on the packages are long-gone) zip-ties that I'm kind-of hoarding for higher reliability usage cause they're 100% function... which I finally resorted to on the Sprinter glow plug module field repair... but my stash of good tip-ties has about dwindled out.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 02:04:46 PM »

Lengths:  Garden variety of generally 4" to 2', with 8" being the most common length used.

Tensile strength:  oh... 50lbs. would generally suffice on the 8" length.

Applications:  Yes, oftentimes bundling wires along with the common spectrum of applications associated with having "quite a few on-hand in my shop as well as a decent bundle in my gig case".  For instance:  Yesterday I zip-tied a temporary 150ft. run of CAT 5 cable to a conduit run in a warehouse... The day before I zip tied/affixed the control plug for the glow-plug module on my Sprinter van cause the clip on the plug broke... which admittedly isn't the best "fix", but like they say about gaff-tape:  "When you can't fix it right, but you still want it fixed."... and the zip-tie fix fixed the symptom (eventually... after many frustrating failed zip-ties while trying to install in a hard to get-to spot... outside in the snow & wind)... for now, till I can source & install a replacement plug.  And a couple days ago I zip-tie closed a couple large bags of crushed aluminum cans for recycling.  Anyhoo:  The failure rate of my current couple batches of cheapie, local hardware store sourced zip-ties is ridiculously high:  approx. 3/4 snap in-two or don't "catch" right out of the package.  I have a stash of old (20 year+) Panduit brand (as I think I recall... the labels on the packages are long-gone) zip-ties that I'm kind-of hoarding for higher reliability usage cause they're 100% function... which I finally resorted to on the Sprinter glow plug module field repair... but my stash of good tip-ties has about dwindled out.
The shear strength of even good zip ties is not going to win strong man awards.

When I was designing my current version drum tuner I did a lot of work getting a package where I could ship with the batteries installed. I tried to hold the batteries in place with a zip tie and they would shear from even modest drop tests, not the more severe Gs I expect from fedex/ups/etc.

I eventually evolved the package so the cable tie was not exposed to high shear forces. I expect there's a market for stronger zip ties, but there may be other unintended consequences (besides higher cost). 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 02:09:10 PM »

Haven't had issues with the zip ties I've gotten from Fry's Electronics or Home Depot.

But please, for the love of knuckles and fingers, get a proper Panduit gun to pull them tight and clip them.  I hate slicing my hands dealing with things people have cut the tie wraps with side cutters on.  The gun is faster and easier.  Anyone dealing with racks and cable bundles should have one.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 02:09:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.