ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Crown is moving production to Mexico  (Read 10488 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Crown is moving production to Mexico
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 06:56:01 PM »

Samsung is out of South Korea

Ahhhh...seems I missed that point. :-[
Can't really comment further as per "no politics" rules.
Not being political, JUST stating facts- I BELIEVE that this move is representative of what the current US Government was hoping to avoid- companies moving their production facilities out of the US. Even though Samsung is a South Korean company (taking your word on that; I don't have any knowledge one way or the other) Harman's brand of pro audio companies (JBL, Crown, dbx, etc) are still US-based, and thus things that the government want to encourage to remain domestic in their production.

As for this particular move- we're pretty heavily invested in Crown/JBL, and since I prefer to return things to "the mother ship" for repairs, I fear what the increased shipping costs will bring us in the future to get amps to Mexico. :(

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 06:56:44 PM »

[Side note: That being said, warranty repairs by Crown are covered both ways for the shipping, so it's just OUT of warranty repairs that this would impact.]
Kelcema Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 07:15:37 PM »

Not being political, JUST stating facts- I BELIEVE that this move is representative of what the current US Government was hoping to avoid- companies moving their production facilities out of the US. Even though Samsung is a South Korean company (taking your word on that; I don't have any knowledge one way or the other) Harman's brand of pro audio companies (JBL, Crown, dbx, etc) are still US-based, and thus things that the government want to encourage to remain domestic in their production.

As for this particular move- we're pretty heavily invested in Crown/JBL, and since I prefer to return things to "the mother ship" for repairs, I fear what the increased shipping costs will bring us in the future to get amps to Mexico. :(

-Ray

{tip-toeing around}

Uh, like another Indiana shop that ended up mostly in Mexico...  At least Harman and politicians have not recently said Crown would remain in Elkhart, FWIW.  I'm pretty sure this move was in the works before Harman was purchased by Samsung.

My understanding from Kevin's post is that Crown & dbx support/service will be out of Texas.  Maybe Crown will truck it to Mexico for repairs or do it there...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 07:16:18 PM »

[Side note: That being said, warranty repairs by Crown are covered both ways for the shipping, so it's just OUT of warranty repairs that this would impact.]

Companies in Vancouver often keep a shipping center right on the border in Blaine WA.  I would hope some process such as this would be in place for Crown.  I can't imagine getting product tied up in Mexican customs.  Even Canada is sometimes a hassle.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 08:51:20 PM »

Regarding politics: I *HOPE* it's OK to discuss what HAS ACTUALLY occurred, without passing judgement on the pros or cons of the "vision" that the US government is putting forth. :) So we're not saying it's a good thing, or bad, just "here's what is going on."

My understanding from Kevin's post is that Crown & dbx support/service will be out of Texas.  Maybe Crown will truck it to Mexico for repairs or do it there...
His post said "sales and support operations" would be in Texas. In answer to my direct question, he did state that Crown factory amp repairs would be carried out in Mexico from now on.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 10:19:24 PM »

Regarding politics: I *HOPE* it's OK to discuss what HAS ACTUALLY occurred, without passing judgement on the pros or cons of the "vision" that the US government is putting forth. :) So we're not saying it's a good thing, or bad, just "here's what is going on."
His post said "sales and support operations" would be in Texas. In answer to my direct question, he did state that Crown factory amp repairs would be carried out in Mexico from now on.

-Ray

This may not be correct since it always seems that even inside sources sometimes don't have all of the information but I have been told that all worldwide Harman International pro audio brands (Studer, Soundcraft, JBL, AKG, DBX, Lexicon, Crown, Martin Professional lighting, etc.) will now be built and repaired in 7 total locations around the globe.  They are maintaining more support centers than that.  I do not know if it extends to all of the consumer and hi-if brands but I would doubt that as there are so many and they are so diverse.

I have not been told which, if any, of the numerous R&D facilities will be used, what will be consolidated, etc. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2018, 11:22:09 PM »

Companies in Vancouver often keep a shipping center right on the border in Blaine WA.  I would hope some process such as this would be in place for Crown.  I can't imagine getting product tied up in Mexican customs.  Even Canada is sometimes a hassle.
Companies can often streamline such things using inter-facility shipping.  You ship it to Texas, Crown takes charge of it and inter-office sends it to Mexico, who then sends it back repaired in a bulk shipment to Texas.  Declaring the value add of repairs is a bit different than saleable product.  Warranty repairs may have no value, while paid service may have some taxable value.  In the past I've shipped prototypes and samples inter-office or inter-facility which is much faster than conventional carriers point to point.  You still have to declare with the correct codes and all.  But I'm sure with pallets of amplifiers moving back and forth each week they probably have this worked out.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 07:56:29 AM »

Capital flows to capital. Consolidation. Commoditization. Nothing new here.

The sun set on Crown's continued presence Indiana with their purchase by Harman. Harman/Crown purchased UK amp manufacturer C-Audio for some tech, then shelved the brand and offshored the manufacture. 20+ years ago. No outrage. Good business.

Durant did same with General Motors acquiring brands. General Motors maximized assets with Canada plants. Ford too. Mexico was next. It is the way of our economic system.

I've always been a bit of an outlier on this board, but there is a creeping percentage of geezer-nostalgia. 

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:51:59 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 08:27:43 AM »

It is the way of our economic system.

but there is a creeping percentage of geezer-nostalgia.
No "geezer nostalgia" in commenting on the faults with "the way of our economic system".
Even the millennials see the problems. (Kids these days...)  ;)
Just because it's "the way it is" doesn't make it right or acceptable.
One of the ways to help us in N America is to have a strong trade agreement.
And that's as far as I can go..... :-X
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »

Thanks for correctly reading my snark. We are on same page Keith.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.