ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do with my old Crest XR20..  (Read 8210 times)

Mark Finnemore

What to do with my old Crest XR20..
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:20:23 AM »

Back before I went digital, I used a Crest XR20.  It was a great little mixer (and heavy!).  It's been sat in my garage ever since, taking up loads of room, so the time has come to decide what to do with it.

Unfortunately, during one of the last few gigs I did with it, some idiot decided to steel some of the knobs off of it while I was away from the desk.  Also, the relay seems to be sticking when I try and turn it on.  Sometimes it'll just sit there clicking away, other times it'll fire up.

I also soldered in my own bypass of one of the ribbon cables as it seemed a little unreliable.  I used an old IDE cable which seemed to work nicely.

I'm wondering what to do with it now; just stick it on eBay as is, or buy some new knobs for it (I can only find some gray ones on compass), fix / replace the relay, and stick it on eBay.  Or something else.  Thing is they don't seem to be well known in the UK so I'm likely to get sod all for it..

I keep thinking I should keep it as a spare, after all if a digital desk goes down it tends to be the whole thing rather than just a single channel.. but that's the hoarder in me speaking.  It's too big and heavy to take a long "just in case", much better off having a small backup digital desk like a qu-pac (my main desk now is a qu-16).

It is in practically perfect condition as it lived in a case, and the preamps and eq are great on it, so I'm sure it must be worth something even in the digital age..

John Chiara

Re: What to do with my old Crest XR20..
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:25:18 AM »

Back before I went digital, I used a Crest XR20.  It was a great little mixer (and heavy!).  It's been sat in my garage ever since, taking up loads of room, so the time has come to decide what to do with it.

Unfortunately, during one of the last few gigs I did with it, some idiot decided to steel some of the knobs off of it while I was away from the desk.  Also, the relay seems to be sticking when I try and turn it on.  Sometimes it'll just sit there clicking away, other times it'll fire up.

I also soldered in my own bypass of one of the ribbon cables as it seemed a little unreliable.  I used an old IDE cable which seemed to work nicely.

I'm wondering what to do with it now; just stick it on eBay as is, or buy some new knobs for it (I can only find some gray ones on compass), fix / replace the relay, and stick it on eBay.  Or something else.  Thing is they don't seem to be well known in the UK so I'm likely to get sod all for it..

I keep thinking I should keep it as a spare, after all if a digital desk goes down it tends to be the whole thing rather than just a single channel.. but that's the hoarder in me speaking.  It's too big and heavy to take a long "just in case", much better off having a small backup digital desk like a qu-pac (my main desk now is a qu-16).

It is in practically perfect condition as it lived in a case, and the preamps and eq are great on it, so I'm sure it must be worth something even in the digital age..

I bought a new one last year for my studio setup. It's my main monitoring setup for tracking. Works great...lots of I/O.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 09:38:30 AM »

That's a tough one. I sold mine years ago, back when I could still get halfway decent money for it. They're great little boards, but I'm not sure how much it would be worth in it's current condition. I also don't know how much it would be worth in perfect condition, actually.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:48:14 PM »

That's a tough one. I sold mine years ago, back when I could still get halfway decent money for it. They're great little boards, but I'm not sure how much it would be worth in it's current condition. I also don't know how much it would be worth in perfect condition, actually.

A few years back i was offered a PM-3k-52 Tour Pack, delivered, for 2,500 CDN.
A good little utility board may fare better, but it better be in 100% perfect working order........
Chris.
*edit* fare better in regard to original purchase price.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 02:53:49 PM »

A few years back i was offered a PM-3k-52 Tour Pack, delivered, for 2,500 CDN.
A good little utility board may fare better, but it better be in 100% perfect working order........
Chris.
*edit* fare better in regard to original purchase price.

Worse...

About 5 years ago i had to sell off the 52 channel Allen & Heath ML5000 from our church with it's associated rack of processing including a complete patchbay system that remoted the entire console I/O on to tt jacks, 40+ compressors and gates, several effects processors, etc. 

The best i could do was to sell it to an overseas buyer.  And he just wanted it for the rack of processing gear.  i had to FORCE him to take the console with it.  IIRC the whole bunch sold for less than 3 grand.  It made me sad....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Landon Lewsaw

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 03:12:35 PM »

I just sold a Crest X-VCA 48 out of a theatre with less than a hundred hours on it for $850.  Had two PSUs, external matrix mixer, roadcase, and a custom stand.  Was worth 30k 13 years ago...

brian maddox

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »

I just sold a Crest X-VCA 48 out of a theatre with less than a hundred hours on it for $850.  Had two PSUs, external matrix mixer, roadcase, and a custom stand.  Was worth 30k 13 years ago...

What a beautiful desk that is.  Makes me sad....

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Mark Finnemore

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »

Okay now I'm just sad  :'(

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »

Worse...

About 5 years ago i had to sell off the 52 channel Allen & Heath ML5000 from our church with it's associated rack of processing including a complete patchbay system that remoted the entire console I/O on to tt jacks, 40+ compressors and gates, several effects processors, etc. 

The best i could do was to sell it to an overseas buyer.  And he just wanted it for the rack of processing gear.  i had to FORCE him to take the console with it.  IIRC the whole bunch sold for less than 3 grand.  It made me sad....

Brian, I came "that close" to saying yes.
Then, I remembered all those nights at 2 and 3 AM finding at LEAST 3 other big burly guys to help me pack it up.....6 was a luxury !
No Thanks.
I loved mixing on it, but.......
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

brian maddox

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 01:04:00 PM »

Brian, I came "that close" to saying yes.
Then, I remembered all those nights at 2 and 3 AM finding at LEAST 3 other big burly guys to help me pack it up.....6 was a luxury !
No Thanks.
I loved mixing on it, but.......
Chris.

Stop ruining my sentimentality by interjecting reality!  :)

The big desk i spent all my time on was a PM4K.  After i almost Very seriously injured a college student trying to pack it up with less than my usual crew count [seriously, it was scary!] i flat out refused to move it with less than 6 people.  As in it got left behind after a gig more than once because i didn't have 6 [including me] to move it and i just left it sit until the next day.

Our PM4KM Monitor desk was worse.  Between a heavier case lid and the heavier desk [more knobs?  Still not sure why it weighed more than the FOH version, but it did] that sucker was an easy 8 man lift.

So yeah, i get it.  But after it's all set up and running i think i still would rather have my analog dinosaur.  That way we match....

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 01:04:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.