ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Building new church in central Texas, need integrator or designer  (Read 5652 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)

Some friends of mine are building a new church in Texas. They're already in the process of building, framing next week. So any acoustic considerations of the shape of the sanctuary aren't going to be easy to resolve.

I'm giving them some general advice for laying out the sound system (locations of jacks, speakers, etc.) but since I live in Washington state, I can't really help them out on system design.

The church will seat about 75 people. The main floor of the sanctuary will be about 32' wide by 35' deep and the ceiling will be vaulted, ranging from around 12' high at the sides to around 20' high in the peak. There will be a balcony in the rear of the sanctuary with a small (~3') overhang over the main floor seating area. The balcony area will be about 32' wide by 15' deep. (I don't know the actual dimensions.)

Their current worship style is primarily congregational singing with piano accompaniment and possibly guitar. The worship leaders are not as loud as in many contemporary churches.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a designer or integrator around the San Antonio / Austin area that could provide a proper system design, with appropriate modeling and proper rigging for any overhead speakers? I'm urging them to go with a flown center cluster rather than a split mono (or stereo) system.

(I apologize for the quality of the attached floor plan. I downloaded it off of their Facebook page, so I don't have anything better.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:03:28 AM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tom Burgess

Re: Building new church in central Texas, need integrator or designer
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »

Joseph Macry, CTS-I
APT Communications, Inc.
Austin, TX

...is a member here at PSW.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Thomas Harkin

• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 12:42:53 PM »

Some friends of mine are building a new church in Texas. They're already in the process of building, framing next week. So any acoustic considerations of the shape of the sanctuary aren't going to be easy to resolve.

I'm giving them some general advice for laying out the sound system (locations of jacks, speakers, etc.) but since I live in Washington state, I can't really help them out on system design.

The church will seat about 75 people. The main floor of the sanctuary will be about 32' wide by 35' deep and the ceiling will be vaulted, ranging from around 12' high at the sides to around 20' high in the peak. There will be a balcony in the rear of the sanctuary with a small (~3') overhang over the main floor seating area. The balcony area will be about 32' wide by 15' deep. (I don't know the actual dimensions.)

Their current worship style is primarily congregational singing with piano accompaniment and possibly guitar. The worship leaders are not as loud as in many contemporary churches.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a designer or integrator around the San Antonio / Austin area that could provide a proper system design, with appropriate modeling and proper rigging for any overhead speakers? I'm urging them to go with a flown center cluster rather than a split mono (or stereo) system.

(I apologize for the quality of the attached floor plan. I downloaded it off of their Facebook page, so I don't have anything better.)

Curt Taipale
http://www.taipalemedia.com/

Rick Alan

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 05:38:33 PM »

My biggest suggestion would be have separate companies deign and install. 

In my opinion when the same firm designs and installs they are only looking out for themselves. 

Work with a firm that design a system that you want, not the design they want to install.  Then the design firm will make sure the install company does they job the way it was design. 

Rick

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 07:42:30 PM »

Yep. Make sure they've read Jim Brown's Paper on this!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Thomas Harkin

• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 08:00:36 AM »

My biggest suggestion would be have separate companies deign and install. 

In my opinion when the same firm designs and installs they are only looking out for themselves. 

Work with a firm that design a system that you want, not the design they want to install.  Then the design firm will make sure the install company does they job the way it was design. 

Rick

That's why I suggested Curt. He's not a dealer.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »

ugh
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 03:09:57 PM »

Surely you've got someone in the church that could make some recommendations.  Seems like a waste of money to get some big fancy company involved.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 07:14:37 PM »

Surely you've got someone in the church that could make some recommendations.  Seems like a waste of money to get some big fancy company involved.

I am that person. They've reached out to me. (This church is a "sister" to mine, and I know most of the people there.) The people in this church are mostly in the construction industry. Their construction is on a fast track; they only scraped out the foundation hole a month ago and they'll be done framing by the end of the week!

Yes, I could make recommendations. But I'd rather they get the right recommendations.  :o

The problem is that I'm a couple thousand miles away, and I'm really not familiar with current hardware, nor am I qualified to be recommending designs for speaker rigging.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 07:37:24 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I am that person. They've reached out to me. (This church is a "sister" to mine, and I know most of the people there.) The people in this church are mostly in the construction industry. Their construction is on a fast track; they only scraped out the foundation hole a month ago and they'll be done framing by the end of the week!

Yes, I could make recommendations. But I'd rather they get the right recommendations.  :o

The problem is that I'm a couple thousand miles away, and I'm really not familiar with current hardware, nor am I qualified to be recommending designs for speaker rigging.

Whoosh!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 07:37:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.