ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Not over-under (for the over-under peoples for things not sound related)  (Read 5731 times)

Steve Loewenthal

In a different thread I had replied that I use over-under for just about everything, not just cables and power cords that I use with the PA.

Well today, I realized something that I do not use over under for: holiday string lights.
I make large coils then fold them in half a couple times until I can stuff them in a plastic grocery bag.
1 light strand per bag.

So, for those of you who also coil most everything over-under, what things do you choose to not use over-under. (not related to getting sound from the source to peoples ears)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Not over-under (for the over-under peoples for things not sound related)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 03:31:57 PM »

In a different thread I had replied that I use over-under for just about everything, not just cables and power cords that I use with the PA.

Well today, I realized something that I do not use over under for: holiday string lights.
I make large coils then fold them in half a couple times until I can stuff them in a plastic grocery bag.
1 light strand per bag.

So, for those of you who also coil most everything over-under, what things do you choose to not use over-under. (not related to getting sound from the source to peoples ears)
I wrap lights around a piece of cardboard (like a reel).
Works great!
While not a climber, I have come to understand that ropes for climbing are NOT over under.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 04:34:08 PM »

Works great!
While not a climber, I have come to understand that ropes for climbing are NOT over under.

The only reason I don’t over-under my climbing ropes is that 70m is really long.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 04:40:48 PM »

Works great!
The only reason I don’t over-under my climbing ropes is that 70m is really long.

I consider the method used for "coiling" climbing rope just as effective as over-under as far as it having the attribute of not creating additional stress on the cable or rope.
I have even considered switching to that method for my power cords that are longer than 50 feet.
I haven't tried it yet so I don't really know if it will be better for me.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 05:47:23 PM »

I consider the method used for "coiling" climbing rope just as effective as over-under as far as it having the attribute of not creating additional stress on the cable or rope.
I have even considered switching to that method for my power cords that are longer than 50 feet.
I haven't tried it yet so I don't really know if it will be better for me.

I have over-undered my ropes and that’s how I usually wrap rigging ropes over under.  It’s just cumbersome.  I wouldn’t ever consider doing power cable like a rope though, it isn’t supple enough. 

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 06:03:10 PM »

I did a little climbing back in the mid '70s and, as I recall, we DID over-under our ropes whenever possible. One nice thing when climbing is that there is no shortage of vertical exposure to dangle the rope from to get the twists out. I sometimes wish I had a nice cliff nearby to fix a really badly screwed up cable. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 12:35:08 AM »

I did a little climbing back in the mid '70s and, as I recall, we DID over-under our ropes whenever possible. One nice thing when climbing is that there is no shortage of vertical exposure to dangle the rope from to get the twists out. I sometimes wish I had a nice cliff nearby to fix a really badly screwed up cable. -F

Perhaps it is time to make friends with the fly captain at a nearby venue with a fly loft.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 03:16:03 AM »

Last year, I had a 45 metre length of CAT5 cable already coiled.  I put an XLR on each end and used it for DMX.

At the end of the night, myself and my son tried to coil it up. No chance. It ended up folded over a few times then twisted itself into a figure of eight.  We taped it up and threw it in the shed.

Last week, my son and a friend managed to coil it properly ready for an event next week.  We will wait and see if we can coil it again at the end of the night.

Steve.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 04:24:25 AM »

I stand corrected on the climbing rope.
I figured the chance of having knots from an improperly deployed (over under)rope might be inconvenient on a cliff face.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 07:49:31 AM »

I stand corrected on the climbing rope.
I figured the chance of having knots from an improperly deployed (over under)rope might be inconvenient on a cliff face.

If your life is literally hanging by that rope, I bet it's real easy to learn over/under and deployment correctly........

My main garden hose is on a reel, but the 2 x 100ft add-ons are neatly hung up in the shed. Over/under, of course. As is the 100ft YELLOW cord for the yard work.

Chris.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:52:54 AM by Chris Hindle »
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 07:49:31 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.