ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Not over-under (for the over-under peoples for things not sound related)  (Read 5729 times)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Not over-under (for the over-under peoples for things not sound related)
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 10:42:57 AM »

I stand corrected on the climbing rope.
I figured the chance of having knots from an improperly deployed (over under)rope might be inconvenient on a cliff face.

It's standard practice to flake out your rope prior to climbing or tossing it out for setting a rappel.  Even then you have to be careful when tossing from the top after flaking because if you don't have the tails loose they can get caught in the loops and make for a big mess.  This is why the first guy down always should have an auto block system on the line so that they can stop and de-tangle.  I rarely use a rope bag now, but most rope bags have a couple of loops (the best ones are color coded.  You tie the bottom of the stack to one and the top to the other.  That way you can just throw out the rope bag (which incorporates a tarp to keep the rope off the ground) and just untie from the top loop, tie in, and climb.  Saves from having to flake the rope each time.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »

At a school gymnasium/multipurpose-room-with-stage where I sometimes do sound, they have a snake routed from the stage to tails on the opposite side of the gym. The tail end of the snake (which connects to the console) lives under the bleachers. I find that it works better (since other people use it) to coil the snake in a figure-8 pattern rather than over/under.

I also have a small hobby farm. When I open a feed sack, the string gets wrapped in a ball. The ball in the chicken house is up to about 2.5". The ball in the barn is only about an inch. The twine cut from the hay bales just gets tossed loose in a barrel. Eventually it will get sent off to the landfill.

Topic swerve...

I've recently made an executive decision that I will never buy another vinyl garden hose. From here on out, the hoses will either be natural red or neoprene black rubber. Real rubber hoses last waaaaay longer than vinyl, and you can actually handle them when the weather is cold. If they kink, they don't crack where they were kinked. When it's cold, a vinyl hose will kink when you unroll it! No such problem with rubber.

Yes, rubber will eventually decay (especially when exposed to UV light), but it will still last several times longer than vinyl.

I notice that most professional/industrial companies use rubber hoses. "There must be a reason."

Another thing about garden hoses, so many of them now brag about having "aircraft aluminum" fittings to cover up the fact that they've switched from brass to aluminum because it's cheaper. The problem is that the aluminum fittings will erode your brass faucets through electrolysis. I will only buy rubber garden hoses with brass fittings. They are getting harder and harder to find.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:31:30 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jack Arnott

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 03:12:10 PM »

What's the over under on the % of people on these boards using over under to wrap their Christmas lights, and perhaps the over under on the age that people would be over or under to use this method?

In a different thread I had replied that I use over-under for just about everything, not just cables and power cords that I use with the PA.

Well today, I realized something that I do not use over under for: holiday string lights.
I make large coils then fold them in half a couple times until I can stuff them in a plastic grocery bag.
1 light strand per bag.

So, for those of you who also coil most everything over-under, what things do you choose to not use over-under. (not related to getting sound from the source to peoples ears)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 08:19:44 AM »

What's the over under on the % of people on these boards using over under to wrap their Christmas lights, and perhaps the over under on the age that people would be over or under to use this method?
If you're over 6, i can teach you. If you're under the influence, i send you home. A great show, and I'm over the moon. The rest of your question, I don't under stand.
Regards from over the border, under the arctic circle (but you could be under stood for thinking you're over it on days like this.
Over.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 11:57:49 PM »

The only rock-related rope I could imagine over/undering was some old PMI static stuff from the early '80s.   Soooo stiff....

Climbing ropes get made into a backpack coil, or are just flaked onto a tarpaulin.

Caving ropes get packed into rope bags so you can abseil/rappel straight out of them.

Jeff Bankston

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 04:23:43 PM »

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 04:23:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.