ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mono subs or not?  (Read 5855 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Mono subs or not?
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 05:32:20 PM »

Depends. Are you playing music with an important stereo image? And, YES, I can hear L/R bass on recordings that actually have the bass, etc, actively panned L/R.
One size does not fit all.
The primary benefit of aux fed subs is to keep LF rumble from most input sources from reaching the subwoofers.  If no LF rumble, then no real need for aux fed subs. 

I guess you could use a stereo aux or stereo subgroup for the subs, if you need panning and routing control. 

2 questions - are there any sources with stereo LF?  Are the subs in a stereo, or at least split, configuration? 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »

You really hear that...?

Depends on the instrument and if the fundamentals are in the subwoofer pass band, and you can localized it much more strongly outdoors or in very large spaces where the first reflections are several wavelengths out.

So yes.

And no.  Indoors with lots of reflections and LF contribution from stage SPL, probably not so perceivable.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 07:37:05 PM »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do the same, sorry for not being specific enough. My question is regarding if you would do the same for a dj setup with dance music. Would you still benefit from running aux fed subs (sending the mixed LR signal) to the subs, rather than having the subs on the left side get the left signal and right side subs getting the right signal. Taking into account the benefit of running aux fed subs for more control. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Uniz-

I'm glad we got the "good DJ guys" on our forums at PSW.  :)

When I provide systems for dance gigs I run the subs in stereo from either a pair of Aux sends or a stereo Aux if my PA mixer du jour has them.  I have had shows with program material that was essentially mono down in the sub woofer pass band but things that panned were probably around the 60-80Hz range on the low end...  but I've had DJs with program material that panned everything hard "ping pong" including the subwoofer-range material.  I'm not sure the punters would notice if the subs were mono but the talent probably would.

As it is, with aux-fed subs I set the top/sub balance with the promoter or headline talent if talent is available for sound check and unless things get carried away, generally leave them alone.  I could loop out of the PA racks into the sub racks and set the tonal balance with DSP... 2 less cables to strike at the end. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 08:34:57 PM »

Never been a fan of aux sent subs... You always have a high-pass. At least one used to have.

I'm with Helge on this one. Especially with todays line arrays, who cross at 60-70Hz, so what's the point...

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 03:18:33 AM »

I have powered subs with a crossover.  I normally run left and right into one sub and send the left and right through outputs to the second sub so both subs get both left and right.  Then take the right high pass output from one and the left high pass output from the other.

Steve.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 05:07:21 AM »

Never been a fan of aux sent subs... You always have a high-pass. At least one used to have.

I'm with Helge on this one. Especially with todays line arrays, who cross at 60-70Hz, so what's the point...
I have tried both and even with high pass on a vocal, I get less "thump" with plosives in an aux fed sub setup.
These days, subs seem to be run much hotter than necessary and keeping vocals (even high passed) out is handy.
Also, there are many line arrays, and other speaker configurations, that are not crossed at 60-70 Hz.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Steve M Smith

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 08:05:15 AM »

Whilst on the subject of subs, I have another question which some people might have differing opinions on...

I occasionally use just one sub. It is placed to one side with a speaker on top and another speaker on a stand is at the other side.

I have always put the high passed signal to both top speakers, however, I sometimes wonder if I should give the speaker on a stand the full range signal.

Any thoughts?

Steve.

Uniz Kazz

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 08:11:43 AM »

Whilst on the subject of subs, I have another question which some people might have differing opinions on...

I occasionally use just one sub. It is placed to one side with a speaker on top and another speaker on a stand is at the other side.

I have always put the high passed signal to both top speakers, however, I sometimes wonder if I should give the speaker on a stand the full range signal.

Any thoughts?

Steve.

I wouldn’t as you’d want the tops to level with each other also to be able to push the tops as far as they can go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve M Smith

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 08:27:35 AM »

I wouldn’t as you’d want the tops to level with each other also to be able to push the tops as far as they can go

This is usually at small venues with folk/acoustic acts.  Pushing as far as they will go doesn't happen.

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »

Any thoughts?

Steve.

I'd be inclined to keep the HPF on both tops.

This is something relatively simple to experiment with using pink noise.  Maybe you can give it a go and let us know of your impressions.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.