ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mono subs or not?  (Read 5946 times)

Uniz Kazz

Mono subs or not?
« on: January 21, 2018, 08:07:31 AM »

Do any of you send a mono signal to subs if they are in LR physical configuration? Reasons to do it or why not to? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Mono subs or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 08:38:49 AM »

The output from the board is generally L/R, or in some cases L/C/R. However, that does not indicate that the system is set up in a "stereo" configuration, and the sound from L/R will be equal and the same in content unless panned. A mono signal sent L/R is the correct method for deploying subs in all but special cases.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 08:46:48 AM »

Do any of you send a mono signal to subs if they are in LR physical configuration? Reasons to do it or why not to? Thanks

I may be misunderstanding your question, but this is what we do.  We run stereo L/R with instruments and vocals paned appropriately in the stereo field.  We then run our sub as a mono sub off of one of the mixer 'Aux Out' channels.  The reason we do this is that by not putting any vocal channel in the subs it cleans up the vocals and it allows the sub to only process low end signals such ass bass guitar and kick drum.  Our systems are crossed over between tops and sub at roughly 98 Hz.

If I missed the question I apologize.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Uniz Kazz

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:09:13 AM »

I may be misunderstanding your question, but this is what we do.  We run stereo L/R with instruments and vocals paned appropriately in the stereo field.  We then run our sub as a mono sub off of one of the mixer 'Aux Out' channels.  The reason we do this is that by not putting any vocal channel in the subs it cleans up the vocals and it allows the sub to only process low end signals such ass bass guitar and kick drum.  Our systems are crossed over between tops and sub at roughly 98 Hz.

If I missed the question I apologize.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do the same, sorry for not being specific enough. My question is regarding if you would do the same for a dj setup with dance music. Would you still benefit from running aux fed subs (sending the mixed LR signal) to the subs, rather than having the subs on the left side get the left signal and right side subs getting the right signal. Taking into account the benefit of running aux fed subs for more control. Thanks

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 10:24:32 AM »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do the same, sorry for not being specific enough. My question is regarding if you would do the same for a dj setup with dance music. Would you still benefit from running aux fed subs (sending the mixed LR signal) to the subs, rather than having the subs on the left side get the left signal and right side subs getting the right signal. Taking into account the benefit of running aux fed subs for more control. Thanks

If you think about the fact that people use a single mono sub all the time in their homes for music and movie content then that pretty much answers your question?

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 10:54:50 AM »

But the advantage if the Aux fed sub is you only sending the 2 or three mics to the subs.  With pre recorded segments your not getting the same isolation. 
What you do get is a way to make the subs put out a stronger signal with a quitter mids and tops to get you closer to the Munsie curve. 

on the home stereo they provided a loudness control that bosted the bass and some treble to allow you to enjoy the music at lower levels and still have a pleasant sound to enjoy. 

this works well for the weddings because people want to talk and catch up with family members and yet party.   

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 11:48:46 AM »

If you pan instruments with low frequency content, the subs should be stereo.

I find it very confusing if I pan a instrument and hear the high frequencies from one side of the PA but the low frequencies from both sides.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 01:04:58 PM »

I find it very confusing if I pan a instrument and hear the high frequencies from one side of the PA but the low frequencies from both sides.
You really hear that...?

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 02:52:13 PM »

Depends. Are you playing music with an important stereo image? And, YES, I can hear L/R bass on recordings that actually have the bass, etc, actively panned L/R.
One size does not fit all.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.