ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Delay Calculation and EQ Advice  (Read 11689 times)

Issack Andrew

Speaker Delay Calculation and EQ Advice
« on: January 21, 2018, 03:19:29 AM »

Hey guys,

The hall I am dealing has really poor acoustics and the client has no budget currently to invest in acoustic treatment. The client just invested in a new mixer (Allen Heath QU32) and called me in to assist with some tuning.

The band generally plays very loud and with the FOH turned off the SPL meter was easily reading 90db from point B, hence why the client wanted the first few rows to be in front of the mains A as things were getting too loud.

I tuned all the 4 monitor mixes on the stage using RTA and pink noise and maybe some EQ adjustments to taste based on the mixes that the band required. No problem with the stage monitor mixes.

Now for the mains, they have a dual 18" sub below the stage that can not be moved because of props / stage design.

The diagram is not to scale

Some measurements:

"A1" to the first set of main speakers "B" is 14 metres.

"A2" (front of stage where sub is located) to mains "B" is 9 metres.

The distance from the second set of mains (fills) "C" to the "B" is 6 metres.

I've been using this calculator to calculate the delays.
http://www.brightonsoundsystem.co.uk/calculator/audio-delay.php

Currently this is what I have set up

I have delayed "B" mains to the front wedges / sub (A2) by 26.24 ms

I have delayed "C" fill mains to the stage (A2) by 43.7ms

None of the wedges or the sub have delays on them but all of that is possible since every output on the QU-32 mixer has a delay option.

Questions:

1. What would you more experienced guys do regarding delays? Can I improve in any ways?

2. I have pink noise / RTA tuned the mains as well. I have placed the mains as high up on the speaker stands as they can go. Coverage is decent (after all the effort put in to delays / tuning) but the lows sound really bad in this hall. 80-100hz range is really sensitive and the kick just doesn't have the punch that you would expect it to have.

3. They have no budget for now so all that I can work with is speaker placement, delays and EQ. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Issack  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:21:50 AM by Issack Andrew »

Peter Morris

Re: Speaker Delay Calculation and EQ Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 08:32:55 AM »

Hey guys,

The hall I am dealing has really poor acoustics and the client has no budget currently to invest in acoustic treatment. The client just invested in a new mixer (Allen Heath QU32) and called me in to assist with some tuning.

The band generally plays very loud and with the FOH turned off the SPL meter was easily reading 90db from point B, hence why the client wanted the first few rows to be in front of the mains A as things were getting too loud.

I tuned all the 4 monitor mixes on the stage using RTA and pink noise and maybe some EQ adjustments to taste based on the mixes that the band required. No problem with the stage monitor mixes.

Now for the mains, they have a dual 18" sub below the stage that can not be moved because of props / stage design.

The diagram is not to scale

Some measurements:

"A1" to the first set of main speakers "B" is 14 metres.

"A2" (front of stage where sub is located) to mains "B" is 9 metres.

The distance from the second set of mains (fills) "C" to the "B" is 6 metres.

I've been using this calculator to calculate the delays.
http://www.brightonsoundsystem.co.uk/calculator/audio-delay.php

Currently this is what I have set up

I have delayed "B" mains to the front wedges / sub (A2) by 26.24 ms

I have delayed "C" fill mains to the stage (A2) by 43.7ms

None of the wedges or the sub have delays on them but all of that is possible since every output on the QU-32 mixer has a delay option.

Questions:

1. What would you more experienced guys do regarding delays? Can I improve in any ways?

2. I have pink noise / RTA tuned the mains as well. I have placed the mains as high up on the speaker stands as they can go. Coverage is decent (after all the effort put in to delays / tuning) but the lows sound really bad in this hall. 80-100hz range is really sensitive and the kick just doesn't have the punch that you would expect it to have.

3. They have no budget for now so all that I can work with is speaker placement, delays and EQ. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Issack  :)

Firstly the delay varies as you move around the listening field. There is no exact answer just a good compromise.  If for example you are standing exactly at point B you are closer to the sub than the mid-hi speaker ...so you should delay the sub for that listener .... stand somewhere else its different.

Sooo ... you should delay B to the sub at A2 so the mids are time aligned to the subs to minimise cancellation at the crossover frequency (for most of the audience).    Best guess - you should calculate the distances with respect to the centre of the listening area on one side, the centre of the area you are expecting that speaker to cover. (I hope that makes sense  :-\)

As another guess, delay B by about  28 - 30 ms, and also delay C to the sub, i.e. another 17.5ms or about 45 to 48 ms in total. This is more or less what you have done.

Now you can delay the loud back line instruments such as the drums on each channel so the stage spill is in line/time with the PA ... i.e if they are 3M back ... about 9ms on the individual channels.

You can also flip the polarity of the kick and or bass to see which way (polarity) sounds the best.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:17:25 AM by Peter Morris »

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 09:45:15 AM »

A recording of a snare hit on a 2 sec interval will allow you to walk the space of C.  You can chart a hand full of locations as -, =, +, or whatever, then choose a best average as a differential from B.

I have learn here that a little extra delay helps draw the eyes and ears to the stage instead of the delay speakers.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:51:35 AM »

This is a really difficult situation and as Peter stated, whatever delay you use is going to introduce a significant compromise.  Whatever you do, even if you get it to sound reasonable, the amount of comb filtering from the two speaker positions will likely render desk eq pretty ineffectual.  You don’t give details of other dimensions such as width (I’m guessing that is in the order of 10m judging by the number of seats you placed), or more importantly height.

I would have the mains at the foh stage position close to the sub line, but I would look to get them high.  At present your suggestion although quieter for the first few rows, would not allow them to hear vocals, Keys/acoustic guitars (unless they are using an amp), so you would at least require some centre fill.  I also think that the second speaker placement isn’t far enough back to make it meaningful as a suplimentary system,  I would be looking for it to be at least 12m assuming you have more than 4m of height.  A lot of assumptions, perhaps post some pictures?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:24:32 AM »

Careful delaying the input channels, depending where your picking off the monitor mix sends you could be also delaying the input to the stage monitors.

Personally I would not delay the input channels but try delaying the sub back to about the middle of the stage, then delaying the row B speakers back to the sub and finally row C speakers back to row B speakers.

As mentioned the delay times will all be just an average, there's no way to exactly delay for every seat in the house all at the same time.

Tell the band to turn down, that includes amps and stage monitors, drumming technique if acoustic drums.

Also as mentioned a touch of extra delay on speaker row C can help draw the audio perception to the front and the possible need for a couple front fills with at least a vocal mix in them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:38:38 AM by Mike Caldwell »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 11:36:40 AM »

I get that it's loud at the front, but if you're putting vocals through the PA, there will be sections of the audience that won't hear the vocals properly at all.
If the main PA speakers are already installed, I'd consider a 10" or 12" centre-fill to cover the first few rows with vocals and anything else that isn't loud on-stage.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »

Try hard to get them to turn down on stage.

Basic acoustic panels are pretty cheap actually.
panels
Mount them an inch or two off of the reflective wall for best effect.
Cover them with fire retardant cloth.
cloth
I'm working on a DIY kit for this.  Maybe supply finished product eventually.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Peter Morris

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 12:43:34 PM »

Careful delaying the input channels, depending where your picking off the monitor mix sends you could be also delaying the input to the stage monitors.

Personally I would not delay the input channels but try delaying the sub back to about the middle of the stage, then delaying the row B speakers back to the sub and finally row C speakers back to row B speakers.

As mentioned the delay times will all be just an average, there's no way to exactly delay for every seat in the house all at the same time.

Tell the band to turn down, that includes amps and stage monitors, drumming technique if acoustic drums.

Also as mentioned a touch of extra delay on speaker row C can help draw the audio perception to the front and the possible need for a couple front fills with at least a vocal mix in them.

With the Qu he is using there is generally not an issue with delay in the monitors. Normally I tap my foldback sends at pre EQ.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 04:56:53 PM »

With the Qu he is using there is generally not an issue with delay in the monitors. Normally I tap my foldback sends at pre EQ.

Yep I have a Qu and normally set up monitor mixes that way as well, just letting him know to set the mix up should he use input delay.

And speaking of mixes how are you running the subs and your delay fills Issack?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:13:10 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Issack Andrew

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 06:58:51 PM »

Yep I have a Qu and normally set up monitor mixes that way as well, just letting him know to mix set up should he use input delay.

And speaking of mixes how are you running the subs and your delay fills Issack?

Running B and C main / fills using the matrix sends and running subs using a mix bus (so I can send only kick, bass and some keyboard parts)

Issack Andrew

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 07:01:00 PM »

I get that it's loud at the front, but if you're putting vocals through the PA, there will be sections of the audience that won't hear the vocals properly at all.
If the main PA speakers are already installed, I'd consider a 10" or 12" centre-fill to cover the first few rows with vocals and anything else that isn't loud on-stage.

Chris

Makes sense. Maybe they might have an old speaker or 2 in their storage that I can use for that purpose. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:05:03 PM by Issack Andrew »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »

Running B and C main / fills using the matrix sends and running subs using a mix bus (so I can send only kick, bass and some keyboard parts)

That works, be sure the mix on the sub is set to post fade, post all.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 11:44:41 PM »

What are the crossover points between the subs and the other speakers that are being used? And what kind of speakers (Make, Model etc.) are these?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 03:49:26 AM »

Makes sense. Maybe they might have an old speaker or 2 in their storage that I can use for that purpose. Thanks!

No worries. It was the first thing that struck me looking at the diagram. Easy enough to try, and I expect it'll really improve things front and centre.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim Steer

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 12:33:47 PM »

Choosing your 'delay points' in the room is always a compromise; delay changes relative to the distance from each speaker, so you must choose the position at which the delay is most audible, i.e. choose the point at which both speakers are heard at equal loudness. This is the acoustic crossover point (nothing to do with frequency, and no relation to the crossover DSP or circuitry in your system). This is the point at which any errors in alignment will be most clearly heard, so the alignment should be done here. As you move further away from this point, becoming closer to one speaker or the other, one speaker will tend to dominate and eventually mask the quieter one.

Note the implication that this has on speaker positioning - simply swiveling one speaker on its pole by 20 degrees might have a drastic effect on this crossover point, potentially moving it by several metres and putting the system out of alignment. Level changes between speakers made after time-alignment (e.g. turning the front pair down to combat a lively lectern mic), will have the same effect.

So there is a natural order of tasks in aligning a system: 1. Position the speakers in the right place, 2. Set the splay angles to achieve the coverage you need, 3. Set the relative levels between speakers. Once you're happy that the system is covering the area nicely, you can, 4. Find the acoustic crossover points and carry out the time alignment. After this point, do not adjust the relative levels between speakers, and do not move or turn the speakers. Doing so will mean that stage 4 will need to be repeated.

You don't need an expensive measurement system to do the alignment; you should be able to find the crossover points in the room using your ears: mute the speakers that you're not interested in, play some music and stand at the point where the two speakers are the same loudness (technically this will be one of any points along a straight line, but use your judgement here). Measure the distance to each speaker and subtract one from the other to find the path difference (a laser measure is a useful tool for this). Set the delay on the closer speaker relative to the further speaker to be the time value that corresponds with this distance measurement. Let your ears be the final judge - play something with obvious percussive hits, like a click-track or metronome and make sure that the alignment sounds correct, tweaking the delay if needed.

I think you will find that your delays end up being a fair bit shorter than your present values.

You might then consider delaying the whole system back to the stage, but that's less of an exact science and its effectiveness is debatable.

As for the sub, it doesn't make sense to time align subs to mains - phase-alignment is the technique you should use (group delay means that some frequencies can arrive 20ms or so later than others, depending on the particular design of the sub), and to do this correctly requires a measurement system such as SMAART or Systune. Then there's an argument of what point in the room to phase align at - it won't be possible to have the sub and top in phase alignment at the crossover frequency at every seat in the house - probably far from it, so it's largely going to be a wasted effort, especially in a small venue such as yours where reflections and room modes will likely come into play.

Issack Andrew

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 07:41:22 AM »

That works, be sure the mix on the sub is set to post fade, post all.

Yes, thanks! I have the sub on post fade.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 04:54:42 AM »

There are two articles you should read by one of our forumers.

This one for centered subs and this one for long narrow rooms.

All of your questions will be answered.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 09:02:26 AM »

..really poor acoustics ... client has no budget.. "invested" in a new xxx

Without question, all that is required to remedy this situation is a few knowledgeable knob-turns.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 09:02:26 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.