ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Church WiFi Setup - Router, Firewall, Ubiquiti AP's  (Read 7106 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Small Church WiFi Setup - Router, Firewall, Ubiquiti AP's
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:57:29 AM »

Can some of you networking guru's point me in the right direction with some specific models I should look at?

I'm looking to build a ~4AP WiFi setup that is much better configured than what they currently have.
I COULD just hookup 4 of the AP's to one of their three Apple Airport's, but those are for smaller homes and not really designed to handle the traffic of a small business/hundreds of users.

I'm doing IT at work with Cisco products (IE3850's & C6500's), but that doesn't translate well to the smaller market. And I'm still new.

The basic network diagram that I think I need to implement (talking to them later today) is as such:
(Router/FW/Switch could be a combo unit.)

Modem -> Router -> FW -> Switch -> 4x AP's

I know plenty about AP's so UAP-AC-LR or AP-AC-PRO. But I'm at a loss for a low-end small business class router/FW/switch combo or what the needs might be of that environment.

My thoughts:
The new Ubiquiti edge max / edge router looks interesting. Might be nice to have a 'unified' system for configuration.
What about the UniFi® Security Gateway? I'm reading their forums to figure out the differences.

Sonicwall FW - It looks like a FW Router combo? Not sure which model: SOHO, TZ300, TZ400

Cisco RV325 - Looks like another basic FW & Router combo.

Is there something I should be looking at other than those 3?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Small Church WiFi Setup - Router, Firewall, Ubiquiti AP's
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 02:39:37 AM »

Can some of you networking guru's point me in the right direction with some specific models I should look at?

I'm looking to build a ~4AP WiFi setup that is much better configured than what they currently have.
I COULD just hookup 4 of the AP's to one of their three Apple Airport's, but those are for smaller homes and not really designed to handle the traffic of a small business/hundreds of users.

I'm doing IT at work with Cisco products (IE3850's & C6500's), but that doesn't translate well to the smaller market. And I'm still new.

The basic network diagram that I think I need to implement (talking to them later today) is as such:
(Router/FW/Switch could be a combo unit.)

Modem -> Router -> FW -> Switch -> 4x AP's

I know plenty about AP's so UAP-AC-LR or AP-AC-PRO. But I'm at a loss for a low-end small business class router/FW/switch combo or what the needs might be of that environment.

My thoughts:
The new Ubiquiti edge max / edge router looks interesting. Might be nice to have a 'unified' system for configuration.
What about the UniFi® Security Gateway? I'm reading their forums to figure out the differences.

Sonicwall FW - It looks like a FW Router combo? Not sure which model: SOHO, TZ300, TZ400

Cisco RV325 - Looks like another basic FW & Router combo.

Is there something I should be looking at other than those 3?

Ubiquity Unifi AC Pro's - They are awesome, PoE, Multi-SID, central MGMT, support RADIUS authentication. 

Firewall Fortinet 30E Firewall

The Ubiquity PoE switches are also OK but I have a think for Cisco Catalyst so I would probably go with a reconditioned 3750G-24PS on eBay $200 for a bulletproof IoS based switch.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:00:24 AM »

Thanks Scott,

I think for budget sake I'll stick with the USG & Ubiquiti switch.

I'll definitely keep in mind a used IoS switch :) Love me some SecureCRT :P

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 07:48:52 AM »

Thanks Scott,

I think for budget sake I'll stick with the USG & Ubiquiti switch.

I'll definitely keep in mind a used IoS switch :) Love me some SecureCRT :P

I just installed a multiroom Ubiquiti netwerk with USG, Switch 150W, AC mesh pro and AP AC HD. If it is for hundreds of connections, get the AP AC HD. It all works as advertised. If you have any questions just ask.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:27:20 AM »

I just installed a multiroom Ubiquiti netwerk with USG, Switch 150W, AC mesh pro and AP AC HD. If it is for hundreds of connections, get the AP AC HD. It all works as advertised. If you have any questions just ask.

Sweet thanks! I'm installing/comissioning the system on Sat.

2x AC LR
2x AC Pro
1x USG
24x port switch 0w
1x Cloud key

Atlas power strip
Cheap wall rack
Panamax surge
Integrating their original dLink switches

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 10:53:59 AM »

Yeah, it is pretty slick to be able to configure all the SSID's, multiple DSL lines, VLAN's, WLAN channels, mesh options and configurations of all the AP's and monitor traffic etc. from one adminpoint.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 12:48:23 PM »

Yeah, it is pretty slick to be able to configure all the SSID's, multiple DSL lines, VLAN's, WLAN channels, mesh options and configurations of all the AP's and monitor traffic etc. from one adminpoint.

I set up a three AP setup at the cafe using Ubiquiti products.
I have two AP-Pro in the main music on low power to avoid broadcasting/ receiving from the sidewalk and parking lot just beyond the windows.  In the front room, I use an AP-LR because the size of the room, and wanting to extend just past the wall to the patio area, but not much farther.  I'm also using RSSI and minimum speed selections in order to drop weak, undesirable connections.  The combination seems to work well.

I'm using a USG-3, a USW-8-150 switch and the three APs.  I'm also running a Cloud Key so I can manage the whole shebang from a distance.  I'm also running four subnetworks in the Unifi system, two on AP only, one on both AP and hardwire on a single port, and a hardwire only accessed from the "closet" only.  From what I read on the Ubiquiti forums, either the ER3 or the ERX series (can't remember) use basically the same HW platform and similar performance - just not running the the Unifi firmware. All that, Comcast VOIP, and a Toast POS system run into a Comcast Business router.

I've had one outage since last August - all due to my poor choices.  I use an outside DNS service that does not track or collect statistics, bur the other day, the DNS and it's backup went down, and thus the network.  I did not populate the third and fourth DNS backup.  Dumb. When it came back up, I added a Google DNS, and a tier three dns as well.  Putting one's eggs in one basket?  Yup.  Not bright.  My home "test" system also went down for the same reason. D'oh!

FWIW,

frank

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 04:59:26 PM »

I've had one outage since last August - all due to my poor choices.  I use an outside DNS service that does not track or collect statistics, bur the other day, the DNS and it's backup went down, and thus the network.

Is that a paid DNS service? Who were you using?

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 10:02:50 AM »

Is that a paid DNS service? Who were you using?

No, it was a "shareware" service - https://dns.watch 

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 10:13:27 AM »

Is there any sort of ip standard for separating guest traffic and staff traffic?

Like I know larger corporations are on 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0

I know of 172 and 168 as well.

I'm thinking of 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 for the staff/business.

But what about the guest Network?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 10:13:27 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.