Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Small Church WiFi Setup - Router, Firewall, Ubiquiti AP's

(1/3) > >>

Nathan Riddle:
Can some of you networking guru's point me in the right direction with some specific models I should look at?

I'm looking to build a ~4AP WiFi setup that is much better configured than what they currently have.
I COULD just hookup 4 of the AP's to one of their three Apple Airport's, but those are for smaller homes and not really designed to handle the traffic of a small business/hundreds of users.

I'm doing IT at work with Cisco products (IE3850's & C6500's), but that doesn't translate well to the smaller market. And I'm still new.

The basic network diagram that I think I need to implement (talking to them later today) is as such:
(Router/FW/Switch could be a combo unit.)

Modem -> Router -> FW -> Switch -> 4x AP's

I know plenty about AP's so UAP-AC-LR or AP-AC-PRO. But I'm at a loss for a low-end small business class router/FW/switch combo or what the needs might be of that environment.

My thoughts:
The new Ubiquiti edge max / edge router looks interesting. Might be nice to have a 'unified' system for configuration.
What about the UniFiŽ Security Gateway? I'm reading their forums to figure out the differences.

Sonicwall FW - It looks like a FW Router combo? Not sure which model: SOHO, TZ300, TZ400

Cisco RV325 - Looks like another basic FW & Router combo.

Is there something I should be looking at other than those 3?

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Nathan Riddle on January 19, 2018, 08:57:29 AM ---Can some of you networking guru's point me in the right direction with some specific models I should look at?

I'm looking to build a ~4AP WiFi setup that is much better configured than what they currently have.
I COULD just hookup 4 of the AP's to one of their three Apple Airport's, but those are for smaller homes and not really designed to handle the traffic of a small business/hundreds of users.

I'm doing IT at work with Cisco products (IE3850's & C6500's), but that doesn't translate well to the smaller market. And I'm still new.

The basic network diagram that I think I need to implement (talking to them later today) is as such:
(Router/FW/Switch could be a combo unit.)

Modem -> Router -> FW -> Switch -> 4x AP's

I know plenty about AP's so UAP-AC-LR or AP-AC-PRO. But I'm at a loss for a low-end small business class router/FW/switch combo or what the needs might be of that environment.

My thoughts:
The new Ubiquiti edge max / edge router looks interesting. Might be nice to have a 'unified' system for configuration.
What about the UniFiŽ Security Gateway? I'm reading their forums to figure out the differences.

Sonicwall FW - It looks like a FW Router combo? Not sure which model: SOHO, TZ300, TZ400

Cisco RV325 - Looks like another basic FW & Router combo.

Is there something I should be looking at other than those 3?

--- End quote ---

Ubiquity Unifi AC Pro's - They are awesome, PoE, Multi-SID, central MGMT, support RADIUS authentication. 

Firewall Fortinet 30E Firewall

The Ubiquity PoE switches are also OK but I have a think for Cisco Catalyst so I would probably go with a reconditioned 3750G-24PS on eBay $200 for a bulletproof IoS based switch.

Nathan Riddle:
Thanks Scott,

I think for budget sake I'll stick with the USG & Ubiquiti switch.

I'll definitely keep in mind a used IoS switch :) Love me some SecureCRT :P

Geert Friedhof:

--- Quote from: Nathan Riddle on January 23, 2018, 09:00:24 AM ---Thanks Scott,

I think for budget sake I'll stick with the USG & Ubiquiti switch.

I'll definitely keep in mind a used IoS switch :) Love me some SecureCRT :P

--- End quote ---

I just installed a multiroom Ubiquiti netwerk with USG, Switch 150W, AC mesh pro and AP AC HD. If it is for hundreds of connections, get the AP AC HD. It all works as advertised. If you have any questions just ask.

Nathan Riddle:

--- Quote from: Geert Friedhof on February 08, 2018, 07:48:52 AM ---I just installed a multiroom Ubiquiti netwerk with USG, Switch 150W, AC mesh pro and AP AC HD. If it is for hundreds of connections, get the AP AC HD. It all works as advertised. If you have any questions just ask.

--- End quote ---

Sweet thanks! I'm installing/comissioning the system on Sat.

2x AC LR
2x AC Pro
1x USG
24x port switch 0w
1x Cloud key

Atlas power strip
Cheap wall rack
Panamax surge
Integrating their original dLink switches

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page