ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofer Transport Options - Opinions?  (Read 10588 times)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Subwoofer Transport Options - Opinions?
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »

Mine do have recessed holes in the top that mate with the feet. Also shown on the shop drawing at the JBL site.

I stand corrected.

Couldn't see them via zooming in on the JBL site's photos.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »

I stand corrected.

Couldn't see them via zooming in on the JBL site's photos.

Dave

Some JBL photos are from prototypes that do not have all cabinet features (like the foot cups) as they were not essential to electrical & acoustic testing.  The line art and exploded views on jblproservice.com are typically definitive.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 08:33:08 AM »

I don't like casters affixed to anything but cases or dolly boards and I like dolly boards for speakers.  For most 3 way PA speakers or subs cases are big, heavy and a waste of space/money.

Build dolly boards with the same footprint you want in the truck or trailer - the 828 are roughly 48" x 22.5" x 27" deep.  How wide is your truck or trailer?  We use cube vans and bobtail trucks where the body has ~92" width inside.  For the 828 we'd probably build a dolly board (or with a lip around the edge, a very shallow tray) 45" x 27" and put 2 subs standing on end.  The resulting package would be about 54" high and give you a flat and sturdy surface to stack on if needed.  All 4 subs would fit across the width of the truck body.  I'd build dolly trays for the 835 as well, 45" but put blocking on the outside ends (speakers face to face) and build a cap for the top (to allow stacking of small stuff and to keep it stable in the truck pack).  Four 835 would fit across the width.

Allowing for a bit of design variation the depth of the truck pack is about 4.5 feet.  That's a whole lotta PA in a pretty small space.

If you're using a narrower trailer or regular van things get more interesting but the idea is the same - make your dolly boards to fit the pack.  Note this may involve some "Roadie Tetris".

As to not stacking on the 828... If you go with casters on the back, cut a piece of 1/4" or 3/8 plywood to fit, adhere a textile finish to both sides and place it over the grille before covering.  You can now stack moderate weight stuff, or stuff that spreads the weight over area.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I agree 110% with Tim. I have built dolly boards for all of my cabinets making movement easy as pie. No rattles, no box truck issues, and the hello dollies can be used to move other objects and gear as needed.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Fruits

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »

I agree 110% with Tim. I have built dolly boards for all of my cabinets making movement easy as pie. No rattles, no box truck issues, and the hello dollies can be used to move other objects and gear as needed.
Even better, they make great supersized skateboards for multistory parking garages.  Not that I would do that of course. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Casey Sharp

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 05:23:47 PM »

^^^ this is exactly the method to explore.

Will these casters holes align correctly without the added caster plates?  I'd measure but I'm currently out of town

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 08:02:18 PM »

Even better, they make great supersized skateboards for multistory parking garages.  Not that I would do that of course.

No they don't

We used to tape the inside of the wheeled dollies with yellow tape to prevent people from  tripping over them. I have never understood why big manufacturers don't do that themselves.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:25:40 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 10:05:55 PM »

I, too, like having most everything on wheels, but don't forget the lowly handtruck. Faced with grass, gravel walks, or other manner of inhospitable terrain, the larger wheels of the handtruck can save the day. The trouble I've found is that, much as with coiling cords, many "helpers" don't really know how to use a handtruck. Think about the CG. Block it from rolling back with your (booted) foot while tilting up. Get it to and keep it at the balance point while rolling. And when landing time comes be mindful not to slam down the load. Easy peasy. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 11:50:40 PM »

I've built and used speaker dollies made from 2" angle steel, and they work very well. Just a rectangle of angle, with the flat sides out and down, and 4 casters welded on the corners. The subs sit down in the "tray" made of angle steel and lift out easily if needed. Stacks of line array boxes, trap boxes, whatever, you can make a dolly for almost anything this way.

The ones I've used were for a single sub if it was stood up, or multiple subs if laid down with a strap around them. The biggest ones I've used have 3 Xsubs on each, so they can handle some weight. Most of the time they don't even get lifted out of the tray, just roll them into place and lock the casters. Works great for drum subs too, you can leave the wedge or whatever on top and roll it wherever you need. And they're steel, so breakage isn't too much of a problem.

Handtrucks are OK, but I don't like them for most things. It's like subs with 2 casters that you have to tip up. They can't have anything ride on them on the way to and from the truck, and you have to work to keep them balanced the whole time. 4 casters is always better than 2. And with handtrucks, you can only move as many things at once as you have handtrucks for. It'd be a shame for stagehands to be standing around because you only have one handtruck with you at the time. Sometimes they're great though, just not often (for me).
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 12:03:42 AM »

I, too, like having most everything on wheels, but don't forget the lowly handtruck. Faced with grass, gravel walks, or other manner of inhospitable terrain, the larger wheels of the handtruck can save the day. The trouble I've found is that, much as with coiling cords, many "helpers" don't really know how to use a handtruck. Think about the CG. Block it from rolling back with your (booted) foot while tilting up. Get it to and keep it at the balance point while rolling. And when landing time comes be mindful not to slam down the load. Easy peasy. -F

Dude when I was young skinny and good looking I hauled a Motorola Micor 330W VHF paging transmitter down 12 flights of stairs by myself.  It had to be 400lbs.  It was balanced and really easy to move.  Just like you said, be mindful of your CG and put your ass into it.  Downside is the load could get away from you.

On a side note you could transport said 5ft cabinet in the back of a Chevette hatchback with 300' of 7/8 foam heliax strapped to the roof.  With the CG that far aft on the car you could hit the parking brake and let the moment of the load in the back swing you around. 

You just can't pay for experience like that.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 12:03:42 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.