ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofer Transport Options - Opinions?  (Read 10593 times)

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
Re: Subwoofer Transport Options - Opinions?
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 12:09:05 AM »

I opted to go with the JBL wheel kit bag, Penn Elcom castors and castor plates (in case I wanted to quickly remove the wheels) for my 828sp's. It's super easy to roll them in the truck/trailer and flip them up on their end, grill forward. I can also stack stuff on top when needed.

I feel like this setup has saved me a lot of time from having to dolly the subs into the truck, stack them, unstack them, find a dolly, roll them in the venue, find the dolly again when I'm ready to put them in their final position, etc.

The bags have a relatively hard lining covering the grill of the sub, so you could lay an 835 flat on top of a 828 and roll it in the venue. 

Dave Guilford

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 09:10:21 AM »

Did you build those castor boards?

I opted to go with the JBL wheel kit bag, Penn Elcom castors and castor plates (in case I wanted to quickly remove the wheels) for my 828sp's. It's super easy to roll them in the truck/trailer and flip them up on their end, grill forward. I can also stack stuff on top when needed.

I feel like this setup has saved me a lot of time from having to dolly the subs into the truck, stack them, unstack them, find a dolly, roll them in the venue, find the dolly again when I'm ready to put them in their final position, etc.

The bags have a relatively hard lining covering the grill of the sub, so you could lay an 835 flat on top of a 828 and roll it in the venue.

Casey Sharp

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »

That looks very nice actually. Can you send over the links to the casters and plates?

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 11:46:18 AM »

That looks very nice actually. Can you send over the links to the casters and plates?

Penn Elcom W0985-V6 (Braked Swivel Caster)
Penn Elcom W0990-V6 (Swivel Caster)
Penn Elcom W0094 (Caster Plate)

I should say, the casters do rattle a bit in the plates, although it hasn't been a problem for me. If you don't see yourself needing to remove the wheels, I'd say nix the plates and bolt the casters directly to the subs.

FYI, I purchased my set from Mike Pyle, a dealer on this forum.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:58:34 AM by Michael Storey »

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 01:45:12 PM »

Build dolly boards with the same footprint you want in the truck or trailer - the 828 are roughly 48" x 22.5" x 27" deep.  How wide is your truck or trailer?  We use cube vans and bobtail trucks where the body has ~92" width inside.  For the 828 we'd probably build a dolly board (or with a lip around the edge, a very shallow tray) 45" x 27" and put 2 subs standing on end.  The resulting package would be about 54" high and give you a flat and sturdy surface to stack on if needed.  All 4 subs would fit across the width of the truck body.  I'd build dolly trays for the 835 as well, 45" but put blocking on the outside ends (speakers face to face) and build a cap for the top (to allow stacking of small stuff and to keep it stable in the truck pack).  Four 835 would fit across the width.

Allowing for a bit of design variation the depth of the truck pack is about 4.5 feet.  That's a whole lotta PA in a pretty small space.

If you're using a narrower trailer or regular van things get more interesting but the idea is the same - make your dolly boards to fit the pack.  Note this may involve some "Roadie Tetris".

^^^ this is exactly the method to explore.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 02:20:39 PM »

Penn Elcom W0985-V6 (Braked Swivel Caster)
Penn Elcom W0990-V6 (Swivel Caster)
Penn Elcom W0094 (Caster Plate)

I should say, the casters do rattle a bit in the plates, although it hasn't been a problem for me. If you don't see yourself needing to remove the wheels, I'd say nix the plates and bolt the casters directly to the subs.

FYI, I purchased my set from Mike Pyle, a dealer on this forum.

I solved the sub caster rattle with long bungee cords. Once around and the tension solved it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 03:36:12 AM »

If you buy JBL bags, make sure you order the right one for you needs.

There is one for subs with castors and one without.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »

We debated a lot here with several customers that wanted castors on the subs back, but also to be able to stack things on top of the subs grill facing up.
We came up with a cover solution that makes this possible.
We make a pocked inside the covers grill side where we slip 7mm birch plywood. This covers the entire subwoofer face including edges so you can now stack things on top of them without damaging the grills.
Obviously you wont be able to fold the cover as you would a normal one because that one side is solid.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 01:49:46 PM »

In your opinion what is the best way?  I'm looking for something that will obviously protect my gear, but also stand the test of the road itself.

Just noticed that the SRX828's don't have "cups" on top that mate with the feet.  Too bad.
 That makes transporting two in a stack more challenging (and would seem to require strapping during a gig).

Beyond the good suggestions already posted, if you - or someone you know - is good with metal, welded steel angles could be used to fabricate caster carts.

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Larry Sheehan

• Georgetown, TX
    • San Gabriel Sound
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »

Just noticed that the SRX828's don't have "cups" on top that mate with the feet.  Too bad.
 That makes transporting two in a stack more challenging (and would seem to require strapping during a gig).

Beyond the good suggestions already posted, if you - or someone you know - is good with metal, welded steel angles could be used to fabricate caster carts.

Dave
Mine do have recessed holes in the top that mate with the feet. Also shown on the shop drawing at the JBL site.
Larry Sheehan - San Gabriel Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.