ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-Channel Headphone Amp as a Zone Controller?  (Read 5585 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Multi-Channel Headphone Amp as a Zone Controller?
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 02:20:39 PM »

"If you really wanted to have fun you could send a mono signal in the left input, and a polarity inverted signal into the right input. Then your outputs will all be balanced mono."

the way I read it, left and right would cancel out.
I believe that's what Brian was smiling at too...
Chris.

I was mostly smiling because this was both clever and potentially failure causing at the same time.

:)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 08:08:37 AM »

I was mostly smiling because this was both clever and potentially failure causing at the same time.

Well, at least i got the failure side.........
Last century I made up adapters to get my cans on XLR.
Proved to be a real handy tool to see a dropped or shorted leg when troubleshooting cable problems at line level.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 02:29:12 PM »

This is the kind of trick clever installers do, and that subsequent service & repair techs discover later, do not understand and defeat the "stupid thing the installer did" without grasping the what & why of it. They then get called back because of the system noise...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 03:26:48 PM »

I think everyone knows this already, but if a XLR with ground (pin 1)  L (pin 2) R (pin3) stereo signal is sent to a balanced input only the difference between the L & R channels remains.  On most modern recordings this tends to be an lot of "reverby" sounds and weak or missing vocals.  Of course if you build your breakout adapters correctly (and I know you would) you'll get the stereo signal you are wanting.  As was stated, the problem is if anyone else comes in and plugs those LXR's into their balanced gear . . . they might be confused for a while!

When we rent mixers with balanced TRS line inputs we either send out the proper "adapter" or warn them about what will happen.  Still every few rentals we still get the call : I plugged my XXX into you mixer with my cable (or the one my friend gave me) and it sounds really FUNNY!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 03:56:39 PM »

I think everyone knows this already, but if a XLR with ground (pin 1)  L (pin 2) R (pin3) stereo signal is sent to a balanced input only the difference between the L & R channels remains.  On most modern recordings this tends to be an lot of "reverby" sounds and weak or missing vocals.  Of course if you build your breakout adapters correctly (and I know you would) you'll get the stereo signal you are wanting.  As was stated, the problem is if anyone else comes in and plugs those LXR's into their balanced gear . . . they might be confused for a while!

When we rent mixers with balanced TRS line inputs we either send out the proper "adapter" or warn them about what will happen.  Still every few rentals we still get the call : I plugged my XXX into you mixer with my cable (or the one my friend gave me) and it sounds really FUNNY!

Making & packaging stuff in ways to minimize human error (whether misguided or clueless) costs a lot of money, adds weight and internal complexity.  If you don't do this you'll get lots of phone support calls, unhappy clients and occasionally have to make a site visit to "fix" the problem.

Carry out rental clients and most fixed installation clients both want the same thing - an appliance-level UI that requires no or little understanding of how the system works.  Turn on the wireless mic and sound should magically come out of the speakers.  The system should protect itself from clueless or abusive operation, too.  If it weighs nothing and is invisible, even better.

Have fun, better audio through cynicism.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 03:01:53 PM »

I just realized that I've never plugged a stereo TRS source into a TRS balanced (single channel) input. Somehow, by the time I was exposed to TRS balanced inputs, I knew that connecting a stereo TRS source wouldn't work. Probably from reading the YSRH when I first started "cutting my teeth" on sound stuff.

It actually took me several minutes to figure out what you guys were talking about, because making that connection was completely counterintuitive to me.

For the sake of science, I think I'll make that connection just to hear what it really sounds like.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 04:03:06 PM »

I just realized that I've never plugged a stereo TRS source into a TRS balanced (single channel) input. Somehow, by the time I was exposed to TRS balanced inputs, I knew that connecting a stereo TRS source wouldn't work. Probably from reading the YSRH when I first started "cutting my teeth" on sound stuff.

It actually took me several minutes to figure out what you guys were talking about, because making that connection was completely counterintuitive to me.

For the sake of science, I think I'll make that connection just to hear what it really sounds like.

Bad.  It sounds Bad...  :)

Basically it combines the Left side with a Polarity Inversed version of the Right side.  This has the effect of basically eliminating any portion of the signal that is common to both sides.  So kick drums, snares, and lead vocals tend to disappear.  Reverb tails, panned toms, and stereo guitar effects often remain.

If your sound source is spoken word, it'll basically make it disappear completely....  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Scott Helmke

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »

Last century I made up adapters to get my cans on XLR.
Proved to be a real handy tool to see a dropped or shorted leg when troubleshooting cable problems at line level.
Chris.

Yeah, I do that all the time. I've also got an adapter to send stereo sound from my phone into XLR for the other end. 

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »

It actually took me several minutes to figure out what you guys were talking about, because making that connection was completely counter-intuitive to me.

Welcome Jonathan to the world of "Vocal Eliminators" and introductory class 101.  I trust Professors McCulloch and Roberts will be along shortly. 
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 08:06:12 PM »

... the world of "Vocal Eliminators"

Thanks for tickling my brain.  This ad was perennially in Stereo Review!

Long before Karaoke became popularized...

:) Dennis

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 08:06:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.