ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Creative Ideas  (Read 34643 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: Creative Ideas
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 02:06:21 PM »

A great feature for a multi box design would be integrated hardware for attaching the boxes together, similar to line array cabinets.
Also, a clever way to extend the rear foot (feet?) on the horn to specific angles quickly.
I find most of the hassle of ground stacking is the kludge of strapping the pile in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed Rob,

I'm trying to figure out a quick way to latch the top to mid, once angle is set. And then also secure the stack down to subs. 
Best idea I have so far is a quick release aircraft cable rig making a guided loop over everything.
Angle changing right now is very quick, but without specific marking....

John Ferreira

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 05:22:17 AM »

A few years ago, I made an XLR lead tester which works on phantom power... then found out that Dave Rat sold one under his Sound Tools banner.

If anyone wants to make one...

Steve.
Yes I saw that product on Dave Rat’s channel.
John Ferreira

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 08:23:37 AM »

Yes I saw that product on Dave Rat’s channel.

Dave is aware of my version. We had a couple of email exchanges about it a couple of years ago. The first two words in his message were “cool, cool”.
I told him I had no intention of selling it and I had just made a few for friends.
Mine has a different circuit to Dave’s and in my opinion, are more logical code of red and green LEDs.

Steve.

Nate Zifra

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 10:20:46 AM »

I would like to share some ideas I sometimes have, and I also would like to hear any ideas others may have.

So I’ll start:
Laser lights built into speakers to help speaker  aim and placement.

A small adapter that has a locking iec on one side and powercon in/out on the other side.  The idea would be to essentially "convert" any device (speakers, lights, etc) to powercon in/out.  Maybe make it rotatable or in different configurations (ex: right angle iec) to keep it from blocking other panel functions or allowing for monitor positioning of speakers.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »

Dave is aware of my version. We had a couple of email exchanges about it a couple of years ago. The first two words in his message were “cool, cool”.
I told him I had no intention of selling it and I had just made a few for friends.
Mine has a different circuit to Dave’s and in my opinion, are more logical code of red and green LEDs.

Steve.

I built an extremely simplified version in the early 90's using a switchcraft XLRM with the boot removed.  Put A Red LED between Pin 1 and 3 and a Green Led between Pin 1 and 2.  Then just filled the open space in the connector with some silicone.

Made for a super simple Phantom powered tester.  Orange was good.  Red was Pin 2 open.  Green was Pin 3 open.  No light was Pin 1 [or more] open.  Turned out to be a HUGE time saver and i soon had to make more so everyone in the shop could have one [and i could have several since i lost them on a regular basis].

I thought about trying to make a commercial product out of it, but i'm not really that guy, so i never got around to it.  I was happy when Dave made a nice commercially viable unit using the same principle as it really was a great tool to have.  I will say that my ultra simple version did have the advantage of being small enough to just live in my pocket with my loose change. 

It's still a great tool to have although todays modern digital snake systems have eliminated a LOT of the multipins and other analog connections we used to have to troubleshoot.  And kudos to Dave for still not charging a lot for what really is a handy little tool.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

John Ferreira

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 03:17:06 AM »

A small adapter that has a locking iec on one side and powercon in/out on the other side.  The idea would be to essentially "convert" any device (speakers, lights, etc) to powercon in/out.  Maybe make it rotatable or in different configurations (ex: right angle iec) to keep it from blocking other panel functions or allowing for monitor positioning of speakers.

I could swear I saw a cable like that on Amazon.
It was not rotatable though.
John Ferreira

John Ferreira

Creative Ideas
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 03:27:59 AM »

Ok here is idea #2:
Loudspeaker manufacturers should EDIT: measure and post speaker measurements of other Pro manufacturer speakers, besides their own.

That way we would end the war -or start another one- of “SPL at what frequency” and C weight or B weight, distortion, and all other Thiele and Small values.

So if you wanted to by a JBL speaker, you could find out its SPL from Yamaha or Meyer site, as an example.

That would benefit all consumers, as well as honest manufacturers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:12:05 AM by John Ferreira »
John Ferreira

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 06:38:06 AM »

Ok here is idea #2:
Loudspeaker manufacturers should post speaker measurements of other Pro manufacturer speakers, besides their own.

That way we would end the war -or start another one- of “SPL at what frequency” and C weight or B weight, distortion, and all other Thiele and Small values.

So if you wanted to by a JBL speaker, you could find out its SPL from Yamaha or Meyer site, as an example.

That would benefit all consumers, as well as honest manufacturers.
What possible benefit would it be to manufacturers to publish specs from their competition and how would they know if those specs were accurate? ???
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John Ferreira

Creative Ideas
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 07:01:37 AM »

What possible benefit would it be to manufacturers to publish specs from their competition and how would they know if those specs were accurate?

Manufacturers would conduct the measurements of other speakers, besides their own. The benefit would be for both consumer and honest manufacturers. For example, two manufactures measuring an RCF speaker and get the exact same 135dB; if then they would claim 135dB on a similar product of their own, the consumer would have a clearer idea.

As you may already know, some manufacturers can get a spike in a particular Frequency on a graph, which can be 10dB above average, and then claim an exaggerated SPL.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:10:24 AM by John Ferreira »
John Ferreira

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 07:43:42 AM »

Manufacturers would conduct the measurements of other speakers, besides their own. The benefit would be for both consumer and honest manufacturers. For example, two manufactures measuring an RCF speaker and get the exact same 135dB; if then they would claim 135dB on a similar product of their own, the consumer would have a clearer idea.

As you may already know, some manufacturers can get a spike in a particular Frequency on a graph, which can be 10dB above average, and then claim an exaggerated SPL.
I just can't see it being practical.
It would be better if there was a standard measurement standard that all manufacturers had to follow.
That way, comparisons would be more accurate.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 07:43:42 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.