ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A different sub placement question  (Read 5456 times)

Brandon Broadus

A different sub placement question
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:54:27 AM »

First off let me thank you for taking the time to read this and many thanks for your helpfull advice ! That said, i have read many articles and forums and watched videos on sub placement , corner coupling , ect. And they cover a wide range of conditions. Homes, halls, outside, auto. But what im looking for is the best place to put my subs on a trailer with sides. I have a trailer (inside dimensions) around 30 ft long 8 ft wide with 4 ft high walls. We use this in mardi gras parades and for the last few years i have just put two 18's on the floor in the center of the float facing one side as its the most convenient for the riders. But this just doesnt produce the sound i know i can get. So after reading so many different things such as corner coupling and dont put subs within 8' of a wall unless next to the wall. I am wondering if i would be better off with the subs against one side or one end or both or any other suggestions for placement. The rest of the speakers are on an overhead platform and sound great but i could really use some gelp with these subs. I will attempt to attach a picture of the trailer for refrence.

Brandon Broadus

Re: A different sub placement question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:04:13 AM »

Trailer pic

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:18:05 AM »

Hey,
Few quick questions, are your current subs at their limits, and if so, how do you know they are (limiting lights etc)

And what exactly do you mean by 'the sound you know you can get'. Do you have a reference, like when using the system indoors etc?

Lastly, how would you describe the difference what you have and what you want/expect? And At what distance from the subs?

I think having them together anywhere on your trailer is going to be about the same. Keep them together somewhere safe near the available power.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 01:22:55 AM »

Trailer pic

Is the purpose of the subs for the revelers on the float or the folks watching?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brandon Broadus

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 02:14:20 AM »

Hey,
Few quick questions, are your current subs at their limits, and if so, how do you know they are (limiting lights etc)....i keep the subs a little below limit i try to never max out. And i know i can get more just from years of having this same gear in many different settings inside and outdoor. I am wondering if the subs are in the ceter (4' from each side) if this is causing any cancellation and if it would be better to put them on one side so they are 8' from the other.

And what exactly do you mean by 'the sound you know you can get'. Do you have a reference, like when using the system indoors etc?

Lastly, how would you describe the difference what you have and what you want/expect? And At what distance from the subs?

I think having them together anywhere on your trailer is going to be about the same. Keep them together somewhere safe near the available power.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
i never max out my system. And i know i can get more just from uears of having this same gear inside and outdoor. It just kind of sounds like it gets some cancellation  from the walls
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 06:27:27 AM by Brandon Broadus »

Brandon Broadus

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 02:17:17 AM »

Is the purpose of the subs for the revelers on the float or the folks watching?
i would say its kind of for both. Iwant everyone to have a good time! But also just want the best sound i can get

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 02:56:29 AM »

i would say its kind of for both. Iwant everyone to have a good time! But also just want the best sound i can get

What is "best"?  Loudest?  Lowest?  Least distortion?  All of the above?  None of the above?

To replicate outdoors some of the subwoofer feel of indoors takes a whole lot more subbage, at least 2X or 4X the speakers and power.  Set up outside and try it out.  You don't have to blast at full level or for a long time (keep peace with neighbors) but you need to get 30 feet away from them and see what you think.  Do this without the top boxes... just listen to the subs.  Pink noise and the music you normally play on the float...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brandon Broadus

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 06:30:29 AM »

What is "best"?  Loudest?  Lowest?  Least distortion?  All of the above?  None of the above?

To replicate outdoors some of the subwoofer feel of indoors takes a whole lot more subbage, at least 2X or 4X the speakers and power.  Set up outside and try it out.  You don't have to blast at full level or for a long time (keep peace with neighbors) but you need to get 30 feet away from them and see what you think.  Do this without the top boxes... just listen to the subs.  Pink noise and the music you normally play on the float...
for mardi gras i go a little bit more for volume most of these people dont know what sound quality is anyway. They just want to get drunk and party

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 12:20:07 PM »

Trailer pic

First question.  Are the side walls made of plywood or is it a 2X4 frame covered with fabric. 

I am accustomed to 40ft tractor trailer bed with a 2x4 frame. If you want to max it out, parade floats are more for the spectators not the folks on the truck. 

You could consider two stacks per side and one in the back.  1 as close to the cab firing outwards and one to the back leaving about 4 feet in the back to do a rear stack.  That being said make sure that you are aware of max height regulations and that you are able to secure the cabinets that they don't tip over and KILL PEOPLE  More cabinets in most cases means taller stack on a moving truck that can rock back and forth.  You have to be able to secure them in such a way that if the driver has to jam on the brakes, it won't rock back and crush the people on the float or rock back the other way and kill or maim someone on the street. 

A more conservative approach is to lay a sub on its side and put your tops on top of the sub.
Still 5 stacks but lower to the ground.  Still requires securing everything but lessens the risk.  also requires more than the two subs you are currently using.  Probably at least 6 if not 8 subs.

Also make sure that the generator you have can support the added equipment.

One last thing, If it's a plywood wall, the plywood walls are your issue, cut a hole in the plywood the size of the front the cabinet and place the sub there. if the subs are firing into a wall, you will absolutely get cancellation. 

Think about it this way, if you put your subs under a stage and then covered the front of the stage with a sheet of plywood, you stop the energy from going out.  You would essentially be (not fully) containing the energy under the stage.  Only the folks on the truck are getting bass based on your current setup.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:24:19 PM by Franklin Benjamin »

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »

So if the building and street measure out and mathematically are causing a Null Would using and endfire cardioid sub array be a help if pointed forward into the crowd.  By narrowing the sides and elongating out to the front as the float move forward. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.