ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Not my strong suit -- need help assigning a static IP to LinkSys router for X32  (Read 10318 times)

Chris Sieggen

• Church and H.O.W. Forums

Did you change the settings as instructed?  If not what is happening is you only power cycled the x32, the lease had not expired in the router so it assigned the same IP.

If you power cycle everything it won't happen consistently.  Do it right set a static IP. 

A quick Google search turned up this tutorial

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-do-i-setup-x32-edit-with-my-behringer-x32/

Maybe I needed to be clear, I am trying to set up a X32 RACK. I downloaded the X32 Edit App and tried the tutorial steps from that Sweetwater link, but I am not seeing where one sets the subnet mask and gateway in the app on my PC.

I'm lost. I'm out of energy. I'll try another time.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio

Maybe I needed to be clear, I am trying to set up a X32 RACK. I downloaded the X32 Edit App and tried the tutorial steps from that Sweetwater link, but I am not seeing where one sets the subnet mask and gateway in the app on my PC.

You have to set it on the X32 rack first, or your computer won't be able to talk to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Sigh, the instructions cleared showed setting the front panel on the rack.  I understand you are out of your element but you need to take a deep breath and follow the instructions.

Give it a try again when you are rested.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John L Nobile

One of the best features of the X32 is the amount of online video help files are out there.

i can explain how to do it but if you google it, you'll get a video that shows you where to change the IP address.

You should probably use 192.168.1.5 or 19.168.2.5. The last # can probably be anywhere from 2 to 100. The first 3 depend on what your router manual tells you but those seem to be the most common for consumer routers.

Casey Sharp

It sounds like your router is not the problem... it's the X32.  DHCP setting to be more exact.

In short, having the X32 set to use DHCP assignment will give you a new IP almost every time you turn it on. Using a static IP is the only way to keep it the same... which I think you've figured out.

Heres a way to think about it... it's not a perfect analogy, but I think it will help you understand.

Think of a network as the US Mailing system.  In order to send a letter to someone you must have 2 pieces of information - Their street address and their zip code.

Post Office = Router IP

Their street address = X32 IP

Their zip code = Subnet Mask

You can't have two identical IP addresses on the same Subnet - Just like you can't have two identical addresses in the same zip code.  123 W Apple Street probably exists in hundreds of location around the world, but not any two of them are in the same zipcode. This would create real problems with the mailing system.

So... how do we use this knowledge to create a network???

First we need to know what the Subnet is of your router.  Chances are its 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0 or 255.0.0.0   What does this mean? Well there's a lot of theory to be learned and if you want to Google it you can, but for the sake of this conversation you don't need to know.  Basically all you need to know is that every time you see "255" this means that bracket of the IP on every device on your network need to match and the remaining brackets numbers have to be different. 

So let's say your routers IP is 192.168.1.1 and the subnet is 255.255.255.0 - This would mean that the IP of your console needs to read 192.168.1.something. If the routers IP is 111.222.1.1 and the subnet is 255.255.0.0 - This would mean the IP of your console needs to read 111.222.something.something - Make sense?

With no words it looks like this -

IF
Router Subnet = 255.255.255.0
Router IP = 192.168.1.1

THEN
X32 Subnet = 255.255.255.0
X32 IP = 192.168.1.something

So the subnet must match and the IP must be different

I hope this was a clear enough explanation to at least help you grasp the "why" in what you're doing. Let me know if I can help further

Chris Sieggen

It sounds like your router is not the problem... it's the X32.  DHCP setting to be more exact.

In short, having the X32 set to use DHCP assignment will give you a new IP almost every time you turn it on. Using a static IP is the only way to keep it the same... which I think you've figured out.

Heres a way to think about it... it's not a perfect analogy, but I think it will help you understand.

Think of a network as the US Mailing system.  In order to send a letter to someone you must have 2 pieces of information - Their street address and their zip code.

Post Office = Router IP

Their street address = X32 IP

Their zip code = Subnet Mask

You can't have two identical IP addresses on the same Subnet - Just like you can't have two identical addresses in the same zip code.  123 W Apple Street probably exists in hundreds of location around the world, but not any two of them are in the same zipcode. This would create real problems with the mailing system.

So... how do we use this knowledge to create a network???

First we need to know what the Subnet is of your router.  Chances are its 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0 or 255.0.0.0   What does this mean? Well there's a lot of theory to be learned and if you want to Google it you can, but for the sake of this conversation you don't need to know.  Basically all you need to know is that every time you see "255" this means that bracket of the IP on every device on your network need to match and the remaining brackets numbers have to be different. 

So let's say your routers IP is 192.168.1.1 and the subnet is 255.255.255.0 - This would mean that the IP of your console needs to read 192.168.1.something. If the routers IP is 111.222.1.1 and the subnet is 255.255.0.0 - This would mean the IP of your console needs to read 111.222.something.something - Make sense?

With no words it looks like this -

IF
Router Subnet = 255.255.255.0
Router IP = 192.168.1.1

THEN
X32 Subnet = 255.255.255.0
X32 IP = 192.168.1.something

So the subnet must match and the IP must be different

I hope this was a clear enough explanation to at least help you grasp the "why" in what you're doing. Let me know if I can help further

This is very helpful and I understand much better now, thank you. I'm still not there yet, but I'll keep trying.

Chris Sieggen

This is very helpful and I understand a little better now, thank you. Your explanation makes sense. I'm still not there yet, but I'll keep trying. :-)

I am wondering if the new Firmware (v 3.08) on the X32 rack is where I am getting lost. I cannot seem to find the way to get the X32 network tab into a Static IP address set mode where I can pick what I want and then save it. It seems its default mode is DHCP only and if I go in and set new IP addresses/Subnet mask/etc. it doesn't save any of my work and just re-assigns a new IP address when I turn off and cycle down. Most YouTube tutorials and the manual either show the X32 console as an example or older X32's where it doesn't give DHCP capabilities. This new X32 RACK with updated firmware, I just don't see Static IP set up anywhere...

At this point, just re-entering the IP address on the iPad has become the easiest way to do this.

Believe me, I have searched virtually all of the youtube tutorials (and online manual links) and every one I've watched or referred to doesn't quite have the step by step set up I am looking for.

X32 RACK
Linksys e900 wifi router
iPad Air2 running X32 remote app.

That's it. We haven't yet gone down the PC control route (although I did hook up my PC at one point to try and configure the X32 Rack and the Linksys router for static IP addresses) nor will we at this point. The idea of this system was to have a lightweight, easy to tuck away/get out of sight rack and then inconspicuously mix from an iPad while sitting in a pew in the back.

The other wrinkle is everything (Linksys WIFI router included) is self contained in a 6 space rack and has a master power switch so everything gets powered down when we tear down and pack up. When we power up the rack after set up, the X32 (and I am assuming the LinkSys router) re-establishes a new IP setup. Personally, I have no problems going into the X32 setup menu, finding the newly assigned IP address (via DHCP mode) and entering it into the iPad, but for volunteers who need the iPad to run the mixer (due to our mobile church's set up, we can't do a FOH desk set up) it would be nice to not have to train them to enter in an IP address to get the iPad working. It would be great to have Static IP addresses on the X32 RACK, the LinkSys e900 router and then, "boom" hit the X32 app on the iPad and you're in. For weeks that I am out of town, I'd love to be able to avoid that phone call from a volunteer who can't get the iPad to work.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

This is very helpful and I understand much better now, thank you. I'm still not there yet, but I'll keep trying.

You do need to get into the router set up menu to make the sure the DHCP range does not include the IP address you set the mixer to.
It would not hurt to while your in there to close the DHCP range down to just a hand full of address.

If you make a mistake while in the router just do a hard reset and start over, most likely there is a small recessed button to hold in while powering up the router that will take it back to the out of box set up.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

I am wondering if the new Firmware (v 3.08) on the X32 rack is where I am getting lost. I cannot seem to find the way to get the X32 network tab into a Static IP address set mode where I can pick what I want and then save it. It seems its default mode is DHCP only and if I go in and set new IP addresses/Subnet mask/etc. it doesn't save any of my work and just re-assigns a new IP address when I turn off and cycle down. Most YouTube tutorials and the manual either show the X32 console as an example or older X32's where it doesn't give DHCP capabilities. This new X32 RACK with updated firmware, I just don't see Static IP set up anywhere...

At this point, just re-entering the IP address on the iPad has become the easiest way to do this.

Believe me, I have searched virtually all of the youtube tutorials (and online manual links) and every one I've watched or referred to doesn't quite have the step by step set up I am looking for.

X32 RACK
Linksys e900 wifi router
iPad Air2 running X32 remote app.

That's it. We haven't yet gone down the PC control route (although I did hook up my PC at one point to try and configure the X32 Rack and the Linksys router for static IP addresses) nor will we at this point. The idea of this system was to have a lightweight, easy to tuck away/get out of sight rack and then inconspicuously mix from an iPad while sitting in a pew in the back.

The other wrinkle is everything (Linksys WIFI router included) is self contained in a 6 space rack and has a master power switch so everything gets powered down when we tear down and pack up. When we power up the rack after set up, the X32 (and I am assuming the LinkSys router) re-establishes a new IP setup. Personally, I have no problems going into the X32 setup menu, finding the newly assigned IP address (via DHCP mode) and entering it into the iPad, but for volunteers who need the iPad to run the mixer (due to our mobile church's set up, we can't do a FOH desk set up) it would be nice to not have to train them to enter in an IP address to get the iPad working. It would be great to have Static IP addresses on the X32 RACK, the LinkSys e900 router and then, "boom" hit the X32 app on the iPad and you're in. For weeks that I am out of town, I'd love to be able to avoid that phone call from a volunteer who can't get the iPad to work.
It's not the firmware,. It's the same.  Did you push the encoder button underneath DHCP to switch between static and DHCP?   

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Winners

• Bryan, OH

Setting a static IP is definitely the simplest solution.

I'm not a FruitCo guy, so I have no first hand experience with the iPad app.

On android, you simply open the app and hit search and it will find the console(s).

Hit connect.

Good to go

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Not my strong suit -- need help assigning a static IP to LinkSys router for X32
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 11:03:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.