ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voice analyzer  (Read 3843 times)

Tim Fevens

Voice analyzer
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:32:20 PM »

Does any know of an app that can be used to analyze the voice of a singer and get a visual snapshot of the frequency for each note in their vocal range? What I’m looking at doing is getting that snap shot of the singer with out going through the sound system. Then when they sing  through the system I can tweak the voice to match the visual spectrum.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Voice analyzer
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:47:08 PM »

Does any know of an app that can be used to analyze the voice of a singer and get a visual snapshot of the frequency for each note in their vocal range? What I’m looking at doing is getting that snap shot of the singer with out going through the sound system. Then when they sing  through the system I can tweak the voice to match the visual spectrum.

Per the rules of engagement on this site you must update your display name to be your real name, then we can help you.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 09:21:14 AM »

Hi Tim.  You're looking for an "RTA" or audio spectrum analyzer application, and there are a number of them available for mobile platforms and PCs/Macs.  They are indeed useful for identifying specific frequencies, but take some practice to interpret.

What device are you hoping to run this software on? 

On my iPhone I have the AudioTools by Studio Six which has an RTA function and is a useful app.  Keep in mind that you need to get audio into your device somehow, and the microphone built-in to your device may not be particularly accurate.

Ken Cross

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »

I use Spectroid on my Android.

Ken

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 10:00:58 AM »

While this might seem like a "good idea", there are way more nuances to a singer's (or instrument's) voicing.
The phrases, power, emotion (to name a few) influence the timbre and to try and capture a measurement to apply EQ to, is ...problematic.
You have to listen and make the changes required and sometimes those changes can be in the same song and differ from song to song.
Hence the use of frequency dependant EQ and compression.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim Fevens

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 04:22:12 PM »

While this might seem like a "good idea", there are way more nuances to a singer's (or instrument's) voicing.
The phrases, power, emotion (to name a few) influence the timbre and to try and capture a measurement to apply EQ to, is ...problematic.
You have to listen and make the changes required and sometimes those changes can be in the same song and differ from song to song.

Looks like I have some studying to do. Thank you for your reply.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 05:08:07 PM »

One of the things to remember is that electronic reproduction or reinforcement of audio is rarely linear and difficult to predict.

That is, the frequency response curve at one amplitude (SPL) can be different at another amplitude. And the dynamic effect can be different at different frequencies -- there may be inherent frequency-dependent compression or expansion in the electronics. So, for example, your source may have narrow dynamics at low frequency but the system reproduces it with wide dynamics, and the source may have wide dynamics at a higher frequency but the system reproduces it with narrow dynamics.

To put it another way, however you adjust your parameters (frequency & dynamics) in a test environment with a source of known calibration, the adjustment is only truly valid for that source in that environment.

In real life, equalization (frequency & dynamics) for accurate reproduction/reinforcement is a moving target.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 08:14:24 PM »

I am confused on what you are trying to do.

What do you mean "match the visual spectrum"?

Each note has of a singer or instrument has MANY freq-unless it is a clean whistle.

There is a huge set of overtones/harmonics involved, it is NOT anywhere near a sine wave.  Yes, there will be a basic fundamental freq, but the overtone structure is what makes the difference between singing a middle C and a trumpet playing the same note/freq.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 08:14:24 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.