ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to make my own antenna clamps.  (Read 2038 times)

Al Rettich

Trying to make my own antenna clamps.
« on: January 17, 2018, 11:12:54 am »

I have quite a few wrap around clamps. The problem i'm finding is getting a 5/8" fine thread screw to go through the clamp into the antenna. Do any of you know of something that works?

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Trying to make my own antenna clamps.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:19:02 am »

I have quite a few wrap around clamps. The problem i'm finding is getting a 5/8" fine thread screw to go through the clamp into the antenna. Do any of you know of something that works?
I use pony clips and drill a 3/8 hole for a bolt to go into one of the 3/8 NC to 5/8 NF adapters that come with most mic clips.
Also have a "jamb nut" from a mic stand for the 5/8 side of the adapter.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 12:23:49 pm »

I use pony clips and drill a 3/8 hole for a bolt to go into one of the 3/8 NC to 5/8 NF adapters that come with most mic clips.

Exactly what we do - got dozens of them.

Al Rettich

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:49:52 pm »

Done that as well. Sadly this is going up for a six month install around a 1 1/2" pipe. It's covered, but will still be outside. I know that the bolt I'm looking for is a tapered 5/8"-27 thread at most 2" long. Been hunting, with no luck.

Brian Bolly

• Baltimore, MD
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:16:47 pm »

Done that as well. Sadly this is going up for a six month install around a 1 1/2" pipe. It's covered, but will still be outside. I know that the bolt I'm looking for is a tapered 5/8"-27 thread at most 2" long. Been hunting, with no luck.

I've used these with some Mega Clamps.  I'm sure with some coupling nuts they could easily be adapted to Mega Couplers or similar.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:38:41 pm »

How are you with a drill press and thread tap?

This is just an old lighting clamp, with some threaded 3/8"-16 rod and one of those adapters that came with a mic.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 05:08:13 am »

Manfrotto Super Clamp (or magic arm for extra awesome).

'nuff said.

They aren't cheap, but they are the best.
Riedel Communications

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 06:44:45 am »

install around a 1 1/2" pipe. It's covered, but will still be outside. I know that the bolt I'm looking for is a tapered 5/8"-27 thread at most 2" long.
Could you clarify what requires that type of bolt?
Do you mean a tapered head (flat head) and why so long?...no the install time ;)

Al Rettich

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 08:49:31 am »

To fit nicely inside the cheeseborough, it needs to be a tapered head, not a flat head. It's 1/2" through, I thought you could put a jam nut on it to lock it down in place, that would give you plenty of length. As far as the size of bolt, I've learned it's a 5/8" - 27. 5/8" isn't hard to find, but the 27 threads per inch is. 
Could you clarify what requires that type of bolt?
Do you mean a tapered head (flat head) and why so long?...no the install time ;)

Scott Helmke

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 10:02:43 am »

To fit nicely inside the cheeseborough, it needs to be a tapered head, not a flat head. It's 1/2" through, I thought you could put a jam nut on it to lock it down in place, that would give you plenty of length. As far as the size of bolt, I've learned it's a 5/8" - 27. 5/8" isn't hard to find, but the 27 threads per inch is.

OK, helps to know the specific clamp you were talking about. 

I really don't think you're going to just find a 5/8-27 bolt. It would almost certainly be cheaper to modify the cheeseborough to accept a 3/8-16 thread and adapt from there. Add a safety cable and you've got a solution.

Even if you're set on a nice-looking solution it would be cheaper to have a machinist make an adapter than to have that same machinist make a bolt with a weird thread.

Rick Earl

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 11:36:45 am »

I've modified some clamps by drilling and tapping my own:
These folks have good prices. http://www.victornet.com/detail/TAST-5/8-27.html If you look at the tap specs, they will tell you needed drill size.
I also have a 5/8-27 die and will cut threads into round stock to make adapters as needed.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 02:53:15 pm »

How are you with a drill press and thread tap?

This is just an old lighting clamp, with some threaded 3/8"-16 rod and one of those adapters that came with a mic.

In that photo of the C-clamp I'm pretty sure the other side has a square head set screw to keep the shaft from rotating. I would try putting the center tube from a mic stand, whether a desk stand, banquet stand or full size stand, into the clamp and tighten the set screw.

Or buy or rent the Magic Arm.

Mac

Scott Helmke

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 04:35:55 pm »

In that photo of the C-clamp I'm pretty sure the other side has a square head set screw to keep the shaft from rotating. I would try putting the center tube from a mic stand, whether a desk stand, banquet stand or full size stand, into the clamp and tighten the set screw.

The square bolt is there, but the hole in the clamp is about 1/32" too small to fit a standard diameter mic stand.  :(

But maybe it would be possible to bodge something up with a long 3/8" bolt, a stack of washers, etc.

EDIT: Or a few minutes with a round file.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:46:19 pm by Scott Helmke »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 05:44:18 pm »

The square bolt is there, but the hole in the clamp is about 1/32" too small to fit a standard diameter mic stand.  :(

But maybe it would be possible to bodge something up with a long 3/8" bolt, a stack of washers, etc.

I don't have clamp or a stand tube to check, but your picture shows the shaft clearly bigger than the mic stand thread. The thread on a mic stand is cut into the tube, so the tube should fit in the hole. What am I missing?

Mac

Scott Helmke

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 06:10:12 pm »

I don't have clamp or a stand tube to check, but your picture shows the shaft clearly bigger than the mic stand thread. The thread on a mic stand is cut into the tube, so the tube should fit in the hole. What am I missing:

I'm being fussy about sizes. The desk stand tubing, ie the stuff that can be directly threaded 5/8"-27, is significantly smaller than the hole. So I wouldn't be especially confident in that fit, though I guess it could be done. But the larger tube size is just *so* close and heavier duty, and you can buy an adjustable height desk stand (Atlas DMS-7) with that tube.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 08:55:27 pm »

I'm being fussy about sizes. The desk stand tubing, ie the stuff that can be directly threaded 5/8"-27, is significantly smaller than the hole. So I wouldn't be especially confident in that fit, though I guess it could be done. But the larger tube size is just *so* close and heavier duty, and you can buy an adjustable height desk stand (Atlas DMS-7) with that tube.

Sounds like a job for a tapered adjustable reamer, especially if you need to make several. If you go the reamer route, use a proper tap handle and tapping fluid. You will be able to make as close or as loose a fit as you want.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 06:31:50 am »

I

Tale a short length of 3/8" (rod or cut off bolt) and JB weld it into the 1/2 " hole on the clamp shaft.
Use the mic clip adapter that comes with microphones.
Done!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 10:08:02 am »

ITale a short length of 3/8" (rod or cut off bolt) and JB weld it into the 1/2 " hole on the clamp shaft.
Use the mic clip adapter that comes with microphones.
Done!

The one in the photo is where I just drilled through that shaft and tapped it for 3/8".

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 10:37:37 am »

The one in the photo is where I just drilled through that shaft and tapped it for 3/8".
Missed that!
 Need new glasses... ::)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 06:36:33 pm »

Am I missing something here or couldn't you just mount a piece of uni-strut with a couple stainless hose clamps and bolt your antenna into that?

Would something like this work?

Done that as well. Sadly this is going up for a six month install around a 1 1/2" pipe. It's covered, but will still be outside. . .

EDIT: Just noticed the dates on this.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:42:04 pm by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.