ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delay speaker  (Read 4088 times)

Bob Kidd

Delay speaker
« on: January 17, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »

Hi all,

I recently setup a delay speaker about 50ft in front of main FOH system and currently delay it directly from M32. However, I would like to patch it through my driverack 260 and delay from there. Is it possible to configure 260 output 5/6 to do this? Using 1/2 for main highs and 3/4 for main lows. Thanks!

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: Delay speaker
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:45:35 AM »

Hi all,

I recently setup a delay speaker about 50ft in front of main FOH system and currently delay it directly from M32. However, I would like to patch it through my driverack 260 and delay from there. Is it possible to configure 260 output 5/6 to do this? Using 1/2 for main highs and 3/4 for main lows. Thanks!

Yes! if you don't mind having the same program matrial that you are sending to either of the inputs to the DR260. The advantage of doing it directly out of the M32 is you can put things into the delay feed more then the main FOH speakers. I do that all the time using the Matrix feeds from the M32 for musical theater. I don't need the apron mics for the chorus numbers in the mains as much as I put them in the delays. 

Bob Kidd

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 11:51:53 AM »

Yes! if you don't mind having the same program matrial that you are sending to either of the inputs to the DR260. The advantage of doing it directly out of the M32 is you can put things into the delay feed more then the main FOH speakers. I do that all the time using the Matrix feeds from the M32 for musical theater. I don't need the apron mics for the chorus numbers in the mains as much as I put them in the delays.

Very true and reason I go direct from board. Main reason for wanting configuration is for guest BEs that insist on bringing own board. Guess I could provide delay time or feet and let them route from their board. Trying to make it as seem less as possible during these situations. Thanks

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:10:26 PM »

To me, seamless would be another processor (or processor with more than 2 inputs) allowing another input (stereo or mono) from the BE's mixer (or yours) to feed the delay speaker(s) with appropriate delay time as well as any other processing it may need.  (Think highpass, which is typically higher on a delay speaker than FOH).

You could still feed it (the additional processor) from your mixer as you do with a matrix send or similar, as could the guest BE with their mixer of choice.  This way you have the option of providing they delay with a different mix from FOH, or you could "simplify" it with a Y split from the main L/R outputs of the mixer to both processors if you don't have the mixer functionality/time/talent to dial in a separate mix for this delay at any point.

That's how I'd approach it if the goal was for a mixer-independent solution to a venue-specific deployment.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Bob Kidd

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »

Thanks Jeremy,

Delay speaker is in fixed position in venue, properly delayed and tuned. I run it from matrix to output of DL32 (14 ) to delay speaker. Could easily have BE use any output they prefered from their board. I was trying to have it to where the delay would already be set from processor instead of BE having to do it. I totally get the additional processor for another input, which seems like a viable option.

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 03:46:50 PM »

Hi all,

Hi,
Isn't input to output routing freely configurable on the driverack!?
You could then route input 1 to out 5 and input 2 to out6. Some output delay and hpf's is all you need to get going.
Another processor would be easier though, preferably with 3 inputs so separate presets could be made for situations with and without separate delay mixes.
Alternatively you could run mono and use the second input just to feed your delays.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk

Bob Kidd

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 05:01:41 PM »

Hi,
Isn't input to output routing freely configurable on the driverack!?

Correct, but before messing with configs want to determine if this was something easily achieved. I will create a separate scene and setup with delay. If doesn't work, I'll go with additional processor or continue with current setup. Thanks

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 05:28:55 PM »

Correct, but before messing with configs want to determine if this was something easily achieved. I will create a separate scene and setup with delay. If doesn't work, I'll go with additional processor or continue with current setup. Thanks

I don't know if you can attach a file here or to a PM but if you want to save/export your DR260 program and post it here I can take a look and maybe even modify it and send it back to you with how I think you want it.

What is feeding the 2 inputs at the moment? Is it a stereo feed or a mono house and separate sub-woofers? 

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 02:10:24 AM »

The issue, is to most effectively use the delays, they need a different mix than the mains.
That requires another input.  The 260 has 2 inputs and 6 outs.  The DBX 360 can take up to 3 analog or 4 AES and one analog ins and 6 outs.  That could give you inputs for stereo mains, mono aux fed subs and stereo delays.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:18:03 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 05:47:51 AM »

Maybe a low cost basic multi processor with limiter ;-) to keep the visting BE in check? I've heard good things about these.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FBQ100?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9fOuxarh2AIVDLnACh2qlQ1HEAAYASAAEgK9O_D_BwE

Small,light etc. Maybe a place to hang it beside the speaker and use it all the time? Or get a different powered type delay speaker with built in delay? There is powered speakers out there that have delay built into them.

Douglas R. Allen

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 05:52:34 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

Bob Kidd

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »

The issue, is to most effectively use the delays, they need a different mix than the mains.
That requires another input.  The 260 has 2 inputs and 6 outs.  The DBX 360 can take up to 3 analog or 4 EAS and one analog ins and 6 outs.  That could give you inputs for stereo mains, mono aux fed subs and stereo delays.

Love this idea and working on getting 360. As of now, did a phase alignment between 2 and 4k and rolled off up to 200hz on delay speaker. Dramatic improvement in intelligibility. Thanks

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »

That requires another input.  The 260 has 2 inputs and 6 outs.  The DBX 360 can take up to 3 analog or 4 AES and one analog ins and 6 outs.  That could give you inputs for stereo mains, mono aux fed subs and stereo delays.

The Dante version of the 360 can do 7 in / 6 out.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.