ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with etx-35p 15 three-way powered loudspeaker  (Read 2693 times)

chayton stotts

Help with etx-35p 15 three-way powered loudspeaker
« on: January 16, 2018, 06:32:26 PM »

We have two etx-35p 15 three-way powered loudspeakers in our permanent setup, both of which were running perfectly a couple days ago. I come in today and neither speaker is putting out any audio. I can see that it/s receiving the signal because of the meter on the screen on the back. It's putting out a faint buzzing sound (which I'm assuming is just a power hum). EVERY time I touch either one I get a pretty big shock of static electricity and occasionally this causes the subs that they're ran through to cut out for a second. I've tried the lines through other speakers and they work, and I've also tried these speakers on other lines with the same results. Does this sound like a speaker issue? I didn't think static electricity could affect speakers of this size and build but I don't really know. the room has really thick carpet and is an extremely static-y(?) area anyway. ANY input at all would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Help with etx-35p 15 three-way powered loudspeaker
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:45:04 PM »

Have you power cycled these boxes?

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 07:08:49 PM »

By the diagnosis steps you've described I would feel fairly confident that you've isolated the problem to the speakers in question. 

If I were in your shoes, I'd disconnect the power, remove the cabinets from the venue, and depending on whether you still have warranty or what your electronics skill level is, remove the amplifier plate and start troubleshooting (or send away for repair if still under warranty or you aren't 100% confident in what you're doing).

Are you sure the shock is static, and not an electrically charged chassis from some kind of power supply failure?  If it were that type of failure I'd expect the whole thing to be DOA, but thought I'd ask.  I have no direct experience troubleshooting this brand/model of speaker.

Static discharge can take out DSP chipsets in the right circumstances, and it sounds to me like the issue is after the input (you mentioned visible confirmation of signal reaching the input), so it could be the output section of the amplifier or the DSP section....or something else entirely.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:51:14 PM »

Hi there,

Have you tried both inputs on each loudspeaker.  I have some EV EKX loudspeakers, where one input isn`t working any more, when you plug something into it, you will hear no audio or just a buzz.

I have had one ETX-35P fall from two subs ( 1.7 meters), I lost the amp module and the magnet on the 15" woofer !   Amp. module replaced ($600), is using it with anoher manufacturer woofer (temporarily)

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 07:42:03 AM »

We have two etx-35p 15 three-way powered loudspeakers in our permanent setup, both of which were running perfectly a couple days ago. I come in today and neither speaker is putting out any audio. I can see that it/s receiving the signal because of the meter on the screen on the back. It's putting out a faint buzzing sound (which I'm assuming is just a power hum). EVERY time I touch either one I get a pretty big shock of static electricity and occasionally this causes the subs that they're ran through to cut out for a second. I've tried the lines through other speakers and they work, and I've also tried these speakers on other lines with the same results. Does this sound like a speaker issue? I didn't think static electricity could affect speakers of this size and build but I don't really know. the room has really thick carpet and is an extremely static-y(?) area anyway. ANY input at all would be appreciated, thank you in advance.
Also go through your AC source and make sure everything is in order with it. Hot/Neutral/Ground and voltage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 09:55:10 AM »

If you are getting a shock each time you touch a metallic part of the amp module there is an AC fault somewhere (and it may not have originated in the loudspeaker).

I find it curious that BOTH your speakers would fail in the same way at the same time while not in use - that's what leads me to think the original cause of the failure is likely external to the speakers...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 09:55:10 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.