ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: com over phone  (Read 16355 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: com over phone
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 10:58:19 AM »

Good solutions...but expensive!!
Thanks Mac

The Studio Technologies devices are expensive, but the Clear Com is not that bad. If you can't afford to buy the right solution you can rent any of these. The are small enough to FedEx to wherever your event is.

Mac

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »

The Studio Technologies devices are expensive, but the Clear Com is not that bad. If you can't afford to buy the right solution you can rent any of these. The are small enough to FedEx to wherever your event is.

Mac
Quite right. Will run it past the client.
I'm also trying to DIY a small adapter I can carry in my brief case....too much time on my hands at this time of year ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 04:35:07 PM »

Awww crap, thats all I ever seem to do in this business - buy more STUFF.

BTW Telos One hybrids are a remarkably good deal on Ebay.  Passive hybrids only work on odd numbered days.

Telos's The Link is a great device, but if Riley's interested in buying, it's also discontinued. You can rent them from a variety of places like CP Communications.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 05:32:07 PM »

BTW Telos One hybrids are a remarkably good deal on Ebay.  Passive hybrids only work on odd numbered days.

Telos One is my favorite hybrid. It has input, output, and gain reduction meters as well as front panel accessible 10 turn screw pots for in and out level. Much easier to set up and use than a Gentner. For comms there may be a Telos The Link on eBay, I haven't looked.

Mac

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 06:51:56 AM »

I too have had good success with the Telos.
Great for the price!
Buy more stuff!! ;D

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 01:44:07 PM »

I"m kinda surprised that none of us old-timers suggested the venerable Clearcom AC-10K/H.  It is specifically designed to interface 2W Clearcom to a POTS line, or a variety of other 3/4 wire applications.

It's a tricky beast to get set right and has far fewer controls than the options others have listed.  It's also a bit more of a science project to set up since it requires bare wires to screw terminals and the like.  But i used these for comms to POTS lines many times with pretty decent success.  Long discontinued, but there's always a few on FleaBay for less than 100 bucks...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 02:34:50 PM »

I"m kinda surprised that none of us old-timers suggested the venerable Clearcom AC-10K/H.  It is specifically designed to interface 2W Clearcom to a POTS line,
The reason might be that it doesn't answer the original question of wanting to use the handset connection.
There is a reason I asked the question with this specific parameter. ;)

brian maddox

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 02:46:37 PM »

The reason might be that it doesn't answer the original question of wanting to use the handset connection.
There is a reason I asked the question with this specific parameter. ;)

Well, but it actually kinda might work for that.  I've never specifically tried it, but the AC10 manual talks about using it to interface directly to a cameras carbon headset wiring, which is where the 3/4 wire switch comes into play.  I don't know enough about the specific device impedances and all that to know how close that gets to a typical phone handset, but it does make me wonder.

Mac, or Peter might have more insight.  But if i were left to own devices trying to solve your specific problem, i might well troll eBay and try to grab a AC10 cheap just to give it a try and see if it would work.  I do think the sidetone issue on a handset is going to be difficult to overcome without some kind of pretty advanced digital hybrid solution though.

Another way that i have run comms between remote locations is to use computers on both ends running gotomeeting and then just using a 2W to 4W solution on each end.  This also gives folks the ability to dial into comms using cell phones and the like.  It's a remarkably robust solution but it does assume reliable internet and spare computers on each end.  In my current line of work these are automatically givens, but i know that is not always the case...

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 03:24:16 PM »

Well, but it actually kinda might work for that.  I've never specifically tried it, but the AC10 manual talks about using it to interface directly to a cameras carbon headset wiring, which is where the 3/4 wire switch comes into play.  I don't know enough about the specific device impedances and all that to know how close that gets to a typical phone handset, but it does make me wonder.

Mac, or Peter might have more insight.  But if i were left to own devices trying to solve your specific problem, i might well troll eBay and try to grab a AC10 cheap just to give it a try and see if it would work.  I do think the sidetone issue on a handset is going to be difficult to overcome without some kind of pretty advanced digital hybrid solution though.

Another way that i have run comms between remote locations is to use computers on both ends running gotomeeting and then just using a 2W to 4W solution on each end.  This also gives folks the ability to dial into comms using cell phones and the like.  It's a remarkably robust solution but it does assume reliable internet and spare computers on each end.  In my current line of work these are automatically givens, but i know that is not always the case...
Sounds like a good solution.

So here is what I'm looking for...
Grab a com belt pack, available where any com system is set up.
Build a cheap and compact device to interface the headset connector of the com pack to the handset connection of any phone available.
Not expensive, not requiring the phone line, not requiring extra computers or other specialty gear.
Simple ...cheap... effective.(maybe not perfect...)
At this point, I have a concept and as far as I can tell, no one here has responded with having done something similar.
Will try it our and post results...(or failure) ;D

brian maddox

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 03:36:19 PM »

Sounds like a good solution.

So here is what I'm looking for...
Grab a com belt pack, available where any com system is set up.
Build a cheap and compact device to interface the headset connector of the com pack to the handset connection of any phone available.
Not expensive, not requiring the phone line, not requiring extra computers or other specialty gear.
Simple ...cheap... effective.(maybe not perfect...)
At this point, I have a concept and as far as I can tell, no one here has responded with having done something similar.
Will try it our and post results...(or failure) ;D

Well, i've built and used the Comm pack side of that.  Essentially just an adapter from 4 pin XLRF  to 2 3 pin XLRs with a pad to pad down the mic input side.  If you dial the sidetone on the pack all the way down this DOES give you a decent 2W to 4W conversion.  I guess from there it's just getting it to talk to the handset wiring.  Might need some level adjustment and maybe a couple isolation transformers?

Sounds like a fun project.  Now I want to build one.  :)

Let us know how you do.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 03:36:19 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.