ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: PA speaker to cover 80-200hz, DXR-12 or K12  (Read 8508 times)

Kurt Hutchison

PA speaker to cover 80-200hz, DXR-12 or K12
« on: January 15, 2018, 10:54:49 PM »

We have an understage sub, under a hollow reverberating wooden stage.  It handles everything 200hz and below.  And its a boomy, wolf-tone generating, muddy mess. 

We don't do much below 80hz, so I am thinking a powered PA would be the best-fit (and I need one anyway for other purposes, so two birds and all that).

Of the two speakers I mentioned, which one does bass (electric bass guitar) the best, meaning loud, crisp, clean, no mud?  I want to know which one has more headroom, meaning which one breaks down first, and how good is it for bass.

It 's a church, we don't go that loud, room is 50x100', old sub is 18", 500W amp driving it.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Re: PA speaker to cover 80-200hz, DXR-12 or K12
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 11:39:44 PM »

Will you have other PA uses for this, or just bass guitar?

Dave Guilford

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:39:07 AM »

Yamaha dxr

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 11:34:53 AM »

The DXR is the better PA speaker.

We have an understage sub, under a hollow reverberating wooden stage.  It handles everything 200hz and below.  And its a boomy, wolf-tone generating, muddy mess. 
Try an 80-100hz crossover.

Of the two speakers I mentioned, which one does bass (electric bass guitar) the best, meaning loud, crisp, clean, no mud? 
I don't think you would like the sound of any PA speaker as a bass amp... just WAY too much highend. If you had something to apply a 1khz 12dB lowpass filter on it you could make it work.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 11:59:42 AM »

+1

DXR and lower the crossover to the sub.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Kurt Hutchison

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 02:14:31 PM »

Ok, I should have described in more detail what I am thinking of doing.

I am planning to disable the send to the sub, and feed the PA from the board through one of the monitor outs, with a  70-80hz high pass and a 200 hz low pass dialed in, so the speaker gets only the  80-200hz content.  Basically doing what the DSP currently does for the sub.

Lowering the crossover to the sub is something I didn't think of, and I could easily do, it's on its own mixing bus, I could put a 70-80 hz high-pass on it and leave it on, effectively using the PA as a mid-bass amp.

I am imagining only drums and bass will hit the PA, the existing sub is fine for everything else, but bass and (electronic) kick drum are awful through the understage sub.  Mostly we mic a Cajon, and even a 10" PA could handle that just fine.

So I hear a few votes for the DXR, that confirms what I have heard in the past, the DXR's are better than the QSC's, especially when driven hard.  I didn't want to poison the well with my preexisting notions in the thread.

And yes, I hope to use the PA for other things when we aren't using it onstage.

I looked at some actual subs too, and none of them really go to 200 hz, we have a strange system, and it's a rental hall so I can't do any permanent fixes.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 02:42:57 PM »

The DXR12 already has a switch on the back for high pass at 100 or 120 htz.
I suggest you high pass the sub at 50 or 60 and low pass it at 90-100 htz and set the tops to 100 high pass.(try 120 as well)
Should sound a lot better overall with the sub not going above 100 htz.
Also, a sub under the stage really needs a baffle to connect it to the room and not push sound under the stage where it is not needed.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 02:57:29 PM »

We don't do much below 80hz, so I am thinking a powered PA would be the best-fit (and I need one anyway for other purposes, so two birds and all that).

Of the two speakers I mentioned, which one does bass (electric bass guitar) the best, meaning loud, crisp, clean, no mud?  I want to know which one has more headroom, meaning which one breaks down first, and how good is it for bass.

It 's a church, we don't go that loud, room is 50x100', old sub is 18", 500W amp driving it.
Curious why you have a sub low passed at 200hz?  What tops are you using now?  Are your plans to stop using this sub and just go with one of the two models above?

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 04:20:15 PM »

If the primary purpose is to get the bass guitar into the room then there are plenty of small 1-12 bass cabinets that can be had for less.  I saw a used Epifani 1-12 in a store the other day for $350.  Couple hundred for a used GK/SWR/etc head and you don't have to worry about the bass.  Seems odd to use a full range speaker for a limited bandwidth application unless that is occasional and it's used conventionally most of the time.

The issue with the QSCs is more in the HF.  I know one bass player who used a couple K10s for awhile successfully.  For general purpose use the Yamahas are as advertised and will outperform the QSCs.

There is a venue around here with a pair of Meyer subs under the stage.  I know one bass player who won't start playing until they're turned off.  A normal bass amp with 4-10s or 2-12s is enough for the room for the blues bands he plays with that aren't crushingly loud.  And I've played drums in there often enough with him and other bass players to recognize that the wrap and resonance of the subs makes the bottom an absolute mess on stage and very difficult to lock in a groove.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 08:45:48 PM »

Of the speakers listed, I would greatly prefer the DXR12.  If you can swing the extra little bit of money, a DSR112 would be even better IMO.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 08:45:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.