ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 10" Powered Stage Monitor Recommendations?  (Read 21218 times)

Mike Karseboom

Re: 10" Powered Stage Monitor Recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 01:36:26 AM »

Some interesting comments in this thread from my perspective:  10" wedge with no bass rig?  8" drum monitors?   

The newer small MI speakers do sound amazingly good and even pretty beefy down low, up to a point.  But in my experience that point is pretty quickly exceeded in most live situations, at least with pop/rock, reggae, or even modern country. 

Perhaps your situations support the use of smaller boxes for bass and  drums; maybe indoors and getting plenty of low end folding back from the subs?   I am probably coming from a different point of view as I just provide the PA to various groups.  I do have more of a vested interest in not seeing the red lights too often on the monitors.

So when the bass player shows up with no bass rig I typically try to put a 15" wedge in front of him and almost always try to give the the drummer a 15.  I have reasonable 12"s  (prx712, dsr112, and K12) and at the volume usually requested they are not quite as  effective as the 15's (PRX615).

--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 07:49:56 AM »

Some interesting comments in this thread from my perspective:  10" wedge with no bass rig?  8" drum monitors?   

The newer small MI speakers do sound amazingly good and even pretty beefy down low, up to a point.  But in my experience that point is pretty quickly exceeded in most live situations, at least with pop/rock, reggae, or even modern country. 

Perhaps your situations support the use of smaller boxes for bass and  drums; maybe indoors and getting plenty of low end folding back from the subs?   I am probably coming from a different point of view as I just provide the PA to various groups.  I do have more of a vested interest in not seeing the red lights too often on the monitors.

So when the bass player shows up with no bass rig I typically try to put a 15" wedge in front of him and almost always try to give the the drummer a 15.  I have reasonable 12"s  (prx712, dsr112, and K12) and at the volume usually requested they are not quite as  effective as the 15's (PRX615).

It's all relative to the gig. A lot of states I play on / provide sound on, aren't big enough for a sub on the drum monitor, so they get vocals and instruments only, no drums in their mix.

If the bass player shows up with no rig, I set up a 410 or 212 cabinet and power it accordingly.

I'm certainly not implying that an iQ8 will handle kick and bass. On a large enough stage, I'll put an iQ8 on top of an 18 for drum monitor duty.

Scott Gaines

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »

This is not for a pro sound situation. This is a working band rig for bars and small corporate events.

If the stage is large, I use my bass amp. But one of the things we've tried to emphasize in this group is controlled stage volume. We don't put kick in the wedges. I agree it's nice to have it for larger outdoor gigs, but for those situations we always have pro sound provided.

This is strictly for bar band and casual scenarios where we are providing our own sound.
If I were doing sound for others, I would probably buy JBL SRX 12s & 15s to match the mains.

Sent from my HTC_2Q4D100 using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 09:10:23 AM »

Chris (bass) doesn't use back line in the band and yet the guitar player says he hears enough bass from the subs so the DXR is only really used for vocals - his mainly. I thought this was interesting when he first told me this.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Gaines

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 10:40:52 AM »

I put bass in the 2 Behringer 12s we currently use, and I can usually hear myself pretty well. And our keyboard player has a pair of K8s that we also use. But the K8s don't have wedge angles, so they're kind of a drag to use.
But we're sharing monitors, and therefore monitor mixes right now, and that's not really where we wanna be.

Our QU16 mixer can give each of us a dedicated monitor mix, so I'd like us all to eventually have our own wedge. $$$

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »

If you stretch the budget a little you could get into the RCF NX10SMA or even the NX12SMA. These are both very compact relative to performance, and a great value imo even though higher priced than the speakers you are asking about.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Mike Mottsey

• aikenproaudio
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 01:01:48 PM »

If you stretch the budget a little you could get into the RCF NX10SMA or even the NX12SMA. These are both very compact relative to performance, and a great value imo even though higher priced than the speakers you are asking about.
Or the RCF HD10a MK4--my favorite !

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »

The Turbosound M10 is a good budget conscious choice.

I word of warning!  I have some M12's and have had input XLR connectors "lock" themselves in place and they will not release.  It doesn't seem to brand specific for the connectors.  My M12's are probably 2 to 2 1/2 years old, so I hope the problem has been solved by now, but I had to take these out of rental stock.  I had to unsolder the input connectors from the PCB to replace them.  It was a HUGE PAIN!  They sound good but . . . beware!

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »

Now I'll get laughed at, but I found these several years ago and have sold several sets to churches who absolutely love them.

Sadly, they no longer make the powered model, but the passives are great and low cost.

https://www.shsinternational.net/sme.html

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 06:08:04 PM »

I word of warning!  I have some M12's and have had input XLR connectors "lock" themselves in place and they will not release.  It doesn't seem to brand specific for the connectors.  My M12's are probably 2 to 2 1/2 years old, so I hope the problem has been solved by now, but I had to take these out of rental stock.  I had to unsolder the input connectors from the PCB to replace them.  It was a HUGE PAIN!  They sound good but . . . beware!

That happened to one of my SRX815p's when I first got it - 1st use. I had to take it into a repair shop under warranty and they had to replace the connector because the amp was on back order. They said it was  a pain too.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 06:08:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.