Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bang!  (Read 7773 times)

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
Re: Bang!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 09:14:41 PM »

I have had this happen to me twice.  It turns out that people stepping on the CAT5 cable (yes it was the recommended one) caused the data stream to break for a second causing the loud as a gunshot bang.  I have since bought cable ramps for traffic areas and have not had it happen again.

This was not the case in my situation. There were no bodies in the room and all traffic areas were protected with cable ramps.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 12:06:16 AM »

This was not the case in my situation. There were no bodies in the room and all traffic areas were protected with cable ramps.
I once had a Crest CA-9 power supply board come loose allowing the full PSU voltage to short against the chassis case, which caused a huge "BANG!", tearing up 2 sub speaker cones- the voice coils were still intact, but the cones were obviously shot. The short also caused the LF out put of the DriveRackPA DSP to melt down, at the time on the gig I thought it was the crossover that had malfunctioned, as the sound was the same "shotgun" sound it would put out if AC power was removed from the DSP.
After the short, the arc flash cleared metal from the shorted area, and the amp worked. On the next gig, using a different DSP, upon turn on the PSU short was back, and instantly tripped a 20 amp breaker, making it obvious it was a problem in the amp.

It may be worth opening up the amp to look for shorts, something drawing 30 amps probably would leave some signs.

Art

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 11:41:57 AM »

Inrush current should not trip a GFCI/RCD.  They are not over-current protection devices.

The last time I heard a BANG at the level under discussion involved a mains power hot/neutral short... in another room, and it sounded like a gunshot where I was.

What's the status of the venue this happened in?  All the HVAC still working?  All the dimmers work?  Power amps?

Yes, my bad.  I meant to say GFI breaker
The breaker trips when the DL155 is switched on. And the breaker doesn't need a GFI reset to be flipped back on.
I take that to be over current protection..yes??

There are no other power issues anywhere.  Maybe it's just a weak breaker.  It's very repeatable. Switch the DL155 on, breaker trips, reset breaker, all good.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 11:46:55 AM »

Yes, my bad.  I meant to say GFI breaker
The breaker trips when the DL155 is switched on. And the breaker doesn't need a GFI reset to be flipped back on.
I take that to be over current protection..yes??

There are no other power issues anywhere.  Maybe it's just a weak breaker.  It's very repeatable. Switch the DL155 on, breaker trips, reset breaker, all good.

A DL155 draws less than 4 amperes.  Either the unit is defective, the circuit breaker is defective, or there is an electrical problem riding on the CAT5 cable.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 12:31:42 PM »

A DL155 draws less than 4 amperes.  Either the unit is defective, the circuit breaker is defective, or there is an electrical problem riding on the CAT5 cable.

Yep, I have to figure it's the breaker.....zero issues elsewhere...
....other than when I forget.... first thing on, last thing off ...

Lieven Dewispelaere

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 11:17:23 AM »

It was unshielded cat but an inferior quality. i than bought shielded 5 pair CAT5e from klotz but did not use the shield because midas recommend to use unshielded.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 01:22:09 PM »

It was unshielded cat but an inferior quality. i than bought shielded 5 pair CAT5e from klotz but did not use the shield because midas recommend to use unshielded.

All my cat 5 cable is  STP heavy duty with ethercon ends. I’m thinking of using NE8FF connectors and short lengths of UTP cat 5 to terminate at both stage and FOH. At this point I  would rather be on the side of caution until I figure out the problem.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 06:58:29 PM »

I have a pair of UPS's   that when the power would cause a switch the unit would not transfer to battery and everything would power down.  the batteries were dead inside and need to be changed.  I also run my S16 and X32 Rack on the same UPS with an extension and do not allow the band to use.  verify before show that nobody added a power strip or tapped into my protected power. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 06:58:29 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.