Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bang!  (Read 7815 times)

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
Re: Bang!
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 08:53:49 AM »

Any chance that phantom power was on at the iPod input.

Personally I always use an isolated interface to connect anything like an iPod to an XLR input.

Perhaps. I will check the console today.

Thank you for all the replies so far everyone!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 09:11:46 AM »

The iPod was connected to the console with a 1/8” to 3 pin male/mono XLR cable.

Check how this cable is wired. A 3 pin mono XLR implies it is wired T,R,S to pins 1,2,3. This is common on cables from China but is not correct. The output of the 1/8" is stereo and the LR hot signal needs to be made mono through a resistor network before it is sent to pin 2 only of the XLR, the shield goes to pin 1.

Mac

Lieven Dewispelaere

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 11:04:31 AM »

I had the same problem with my PRO2C and DL251. A sudden burst on all outputs. The cause was a cat cable.
the AES50 connection transport the data but also sync. when it loose sync you can get a loud bang. freaked me out the first time a had it mid show. I changed the cat cable with a better one and never had that problem again.

Jonathan Betts

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »

Lieven, were you using shielded cat 5 cable when this happened?

I was warned when I bought the console and stage box not to use shielded cabling if FOH and stage box are running from a differnt power supply.

In this particular case  I was running FOH off of wall power close to my console.

I’m fairly certain that this FOH outlet was on a circuit located in the same panel as the stage 14-50R.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 02:30:25 PM »

Lieven, were you using shielded cat 5 cable when this happened?

I was warned when I bought the console and stage box not to use shielded cabling if FOH and stage box are running from a differnt power supply.

In this particular case  I was running FOH off of wall power close to my console.

I’m fairly certain that this FOH outlet was on a circuit located in the same panel as the stage 14-50R.

Warned by who?

Use the cable the manufacturer says to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 02:48:52 PM »

Warned by who?

Use the cable the manufacturer says to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Midas specifies UTP for the Pro series consoles although I've not heard of problems using STP.

For the M32 series, Music Group specified STP after reports of ESD problems with UTP.

Now the question:  If someone uses a DL1xx box with their M32, what CATegory cable should be used?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »

I've had fairly loud popping (not the huge bang you described) when someone moved cable covers and exposed the CAT five to dancers - who proceeded to dance on top of it! 

I've had good pops from accidentally unplugging the AES50 CAT5 from an x-32 going to the DL stagebox ...hey, I experiment alot  :-[
But the pops are nothing like the 'shotgun' boom (good description Jonathan)... that I've heard from the DL powering up or shutting off, with amps on. Further embarrassment haha..
I've also noticed it's the only piece of gear I have that has a turn-on inrush current so high, that it will sometimes trip GFI's.

My gut says shotgun boom has something to do with power...not CAT5....

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 08:22:03 PM »

I've had good pops from accidentally unplugging the AES50 CAT5 from an x-32 going to the DL stagebox ...hey, I experiment alot  :-[
But the pops are nothing like the 'shotgun' boom (good description Jonathan)... that I've heard from the DL powering up or shutting off, with amps on. Further embarrassment haha..
I've also noticed it's the only piece of gear I have that has a turn-on inrush current so high, that it will sometimes trip GFI's.

My gut says shotgun boom has something to do with power...not CAT5....

Inrush current should not trip a GFCI/RCD.  They are not over-current protection devices.

The last time I heard a BANG at the level under discussion involved a mains power hot/neutral short... in another room, and it sounded like a gunshot where I was.

What's the status of the venue this happened in?  All the HVAC still working?  All the dimmers work?  Power amps?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Betts

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 08:44:57 PM »

I have another event in a few weeks at the same venue. I plan on meeting with one of the site electricians before the show and explain to them what I experienced.

I have worked this venue many times and this is the first time it has happened. One thing I have always noticed is there is  a great deal of static electricity in the room. Not sure if this may be an indication of something? Also wireless networks do not work properly with frequent dropouts.

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 09:07:51 PM »

At a recent event after initial setup and tuning of PA system we experienced an extremely loud, shotgun type sound from the system. All in inputs and outputs were muted except for music play back channel/iPod and LR mains.

The sound only happened once. When I looked at the systems monitoring info I noticed a brief spike of approximately 30amps draw. Under normal operating conditions the amp in this particular venue rarely draws more than 10amps and averages around 2-4.

Power was taken from a NEMA 14-50R and the amplifier was run off a L6-30 240v from a power distro.

Console was a Midas Pro 1 running shielded cat 5 to Midas DL 153 stage boxes.

Is this enough info to be helpful for a possible diagnosis?

Thanks!

I have had this happen to me twice.  It turns out that people stepping on the CAT5 cable (yes it was the recommended one) caused the data stream to break for a second causing the loud as a gunshot bang.  I have since bought cable ramps for traffic areas and have not had it happen again.
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 09:07:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.