ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX835p - Would they benefit me?  (Read 26153 times)

James Paul

Re: SRX835p - Would they benefit me?
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »

So I as well have been hit with a G.A.S. attack, having acquired a pair of SRX835p today, with another pair likely to follow in the not to distant future. And NAMM still to come. ARGHH !

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2018, 02:41:59 AM »

So I as well have been hit with a G.A.S. attack, having acquired a pair of SRX835p today, with another pair likely to follow in the not to distant future. And NAMM still to come. ARGHH !

Be sure to report back on your trials and tribulations once you have them dialed in properly.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Ferreira

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2018, 05:11:30 AM »

I think you need to audition them side by side in a couple different environments.  The "single number" specs do not define or differentiate how these sound in comparison.  While arguably voiced in the same family they do not sound identical, particularly as you go off-axis in the horizontal.  Your brain will tell you the 835 sounds "bigger" and "focused" even if the SPL meter shows only a 2 dB difference.

JBL's VerTec 4880 and 4880A subs spec nearly identical - a couple Hz here and there, a dB or 2... but there's a difference you can FEEL. The numbers do not tell the acoustic story.

Getting height on any heavy speaker is a challenge.  The options tend to have their own downsides; either flimsy or scary (tripods, pole in sub), present aesthetic issues (tripod crank lifts, Genie towers, Vermette lifts) or are expensive (rated tower & truss, rigging to structure).

In the end the 835p is another tool for the box.  For Debbie the question is mostly "do you need this tool, will it make your gig better, will it impress clients (band or provider), will it help make money or save money?  If enough answers are yes then the purchase should get a closer look.

YMMV.
I agree Tim, specially with the comparison test side by side. But to say “bigger” with no numbers is vague.
Thanks for the info on the Vertec Subs. I have been wondering for a while how they compare to SRX 18” Subs.
John Ferreira

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2018, 12:14:38 PM »

I agree Tim, specially with the comparison test side by side. But to say “bigger” with no numbers is vague.
Thanks for the info on the Vertec Subs. I have been wondering for a while how they compare to SRX 18” Subs.
"Bigger" typically means the lows go lower and the highs go higher,  possibly also better transient and phase response.  It's why even at the same SPL a great speaker sounds better than a cheap one.  SPL is only a basic comparison.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2018, 02:02:49 PM »

We own both VT4880 and SRX728 (and a couple of 828).  While similar they are not the same in voicing.  The 728 sounds "cheap" for lack of a better non-technical description.  There are cabinet resonances that create an audible artifact around 58Hz that mostly defies taming with EQ.   For most work that peak isn't a problem and sometimes it's welcomed (metal, hip hop).

The price of used 4880 is such that if I were buying for "value" and not concerned with matching up with other speaker systems I'd go with the 4880 over the next batch of 728s to be "found" at the warehouse in California (er, factory in Mexico).  The 728 offers the feature of being a big flat box that give it more utility but the 4880 just sounds better to me.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Ferreira

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2018, 06:20:44 PM »

We own both VT4880 and SRX728 (and a couple of 828).  While similar they are not the same in voicing.  The 728 sounds "cheap" for lack of a better non-technical description.  There are cabinet resonances that create an audible artifact around 58Hz that mostly defies taming with EQ.   For most work that peak isn't a problem and sometimes it's welcomed (metal, hip hop).

The price of used 4880 is such that if I were buying for "value" and not concerned with matching up with other speaker systems I'd go with the 4880 over the next batch of 728s to be "found" at the warehouse in California (er, factory in Mexico).  The 728 offers the feature of being a big flat box that give it more utility but the 4880 just sounds better to me.

I wonder if the SRX818p (powered) also has the same artifacts you mention of the unpowered 728.
John Ferreira

John Ferreira

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2018, 06:27:35 PM »

"Bigger" typically means the lows go lower and the highs go higher,  possibly also better transient and phase response.  It's why even at the same SPL a great speaker sounds better than a cheap one.  SPL is only a basic comparison.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Caleb I understand what you are saying, but the point I made was not that I don’t know what “bigger” means, but rather the values for SPL, frequency and dispersion, so the OP or any reader can have a more specific idea.
“Bigger” to you, could be very “small” to us.
John Ferreira

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2018, 09:13:36 PM »

Caleb I understand what you are saying, but the point I made was not that I don’t know what “bigger” means, but rather the values for SPL, frequency and dispersion, so the OP or any reader can have a more specific idea.
“Bigger” to you, could be very “small” to us.

How is "perception" specified?  After physics measurements are made how do we qualify and quantify the more subjective impressions that lead us to prefer certain loudspeakers?

Words must suffice when we do not have a convenient, single number to flog about.

Humans have been trying to describe the unquantifiable for a very long time - look at discussions of visual arts, music, drama... how these things affect individuals in similar or differing ways.

Long term it's important that we find ways to communicate these more ephemeral impressions in ways that are consistent and meaningful.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2018, 08:58:30 AM »

The SRX718 doesn't appear to have the same issue. By the way Tim, I still use the 551P-TAC right beside 718's. Can't kill the 2242s and what you mention in your post may be the reason they work together as well as they do. All of the JBL 2268 and 2242 boxes tend to work well together, as I'm sure you already know.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2018, 09:06:25 AM »

How is "perception" specified?  After physics measurements are made how do we qualify and quantify the more subjective impressions that lead us to prefer certain loudspeakers?

Words must suffice when we do not have a convenient, single number to flog about.

Humans have been trying to describe the unquantifiable for a very long time - look at discussions of visual arts, music, drama... how these things affect individuals in similar or differing ways.

Long term it's important that we find ways to communicate these more ephemeral impressions in ways that are consistent and meaningful.

People tend to listen with their eyes, and even more so when relating to published specifications prior to actually hearing the box, system, etc.. How many times to we read about  the incredibly loud box with the peak output of 139-142db?? Another meaningless and CALCULATED number. Any box capable of sustained 130db output will tear your head off, but the key is sustained and for how long. Even more important is the rated distortion at those levels, plus the fact 99% of the "educated" users will never reach those peaks in sustained output to begin with.

My 68 1/2 Boss 302 had 10 extra HP because it had fuel injected lug nuts. Same thing applies to sound.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2018, 09:06:25 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.